2020 Turkish Grand Prix - Instanbul Park, Nov 13 - 15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.

Re: 2020 Turkish Grand Prix - Instanbul Park, Nov 13 - 15

El Scorchio wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 16:28
214270 wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 16:15
The dumpster shots of VER are really strange. He’s in prime position for tomorrow; pole shouldn’t matter so much you’d think, he’s not a rookie anymore
Totally. Cant let things like this get into his head. It’s a potential weakness he needs to shake off. Hardly a disaster to be starting p2 with a great chance of winning. Dangerous to look so down. Chin up son!
The more I think about it, it’s probably because he wanted to top each session FP1 - P3. Still, the reaction is immature.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Shrieker

I think starting the q2 session while there was a recovery truck on the run off in the rain and ON THE OUTSIDE OF T8 of all places was objectively a far, far worse transgression than a driver speeding thru double waved yellows.

I gave Masi benefit of the doubt till now despite his bad calls, but today he's proven beyond any doubt that he's a clueless git. He must be replaced ASAP.

Maybe he wanted to get qualifying over and done with in case it rained and subsequent delays meant it couldn't be completed, but it's a poor excuse at best, especially in light of what happened to Jules.
Last edited by Shrieker on 14 Nov 2020, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

godlameroso

Pictures are easy to take out of context.
Saishū kōnā

Juzh

Stroll did a green mini sector under yellows, passing a spun perez, on his pole lap. We'll see if anything comes of this. Probably not.

PlatinumZealot

Schuttelberg wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 16:06
PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 15:59
Hmm Perez got a bit too greedy! But well done Lance! He's proven he is handy in slippery conditions.

Albon a bit closer to his teammate this weekend.

Mercedes really doesn't like when its too cold or too hot.

Oh Lord. Ferrari. Good on the dry track here, but totally sucked in the wet today. Vettel out-qualifies Leclerc for once.
Hamilton said that they were struggling because there are fundamental things on the car that you can't change. I wonder what he meant by that? Starting 5th and 7th means something isn't working in these conditions, could cold water be affecting their brake ducts? Not enough temperature difference between the cross over duct and the brake and rim exhaust?
I think Lewis maximised it today as usual. I don't think there's anything wrong with the car either. These tyres are simply rubbish and it has been that way since Pirelli entered the sport. Been watching F1 since 1994 and I have never seen a car be on rails in wet conditions. That's just the beauty of it but you can visibly see that the car can do a lot more than the tyre provides in even normal dry conditions. The wets is just another world.

Also, it is very evident that everyone is maintaining a PR line and trying to protect Pirelli about the compounds they have this weekend. It is absolutely unbelievable. They simply have decided that they will get the hardest tyre so that they don't cut and there isn't a Silverstone 2013 kind backlash. This nonsense has been going on for a very very long time. The funny thing is that inspite of this third rate product and conservative approach with snooze fest one stop races, tyre failures have not vanished.
How can the tyres be rubbish and these are the quickest tyres in the world?

When they tyres dont last 15 laps; people complain.
When they last the whole race; people complain.

If the tyres don't heat up; people complain.
When they overheat; people complain.
Tyres just right; people complain.

Engineers figure out the tyres in two laps. The tyres are too predictible! people complain.

Engineers don't understand the tyres. These tyres a rubbish! People complain.

People will always complain about tyres. Doesn't matter what brand.

In my view Pirelli has done a sterling job coming into the sport and giving the FOM or Liberty what they want, yet still making the quickest tyres we have ever seen. And Pirelli continuosly tests and innovate their compunds on constructions.

I don't know what people want? A pound of flesh?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

PlatinumZealot

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 16:16
So, assuming it's dry, everyone will be starting on the C3. Is it going to be a two stopper? If so, C3, C3, C2, otherwise C3, C2. The Mercs will struggle in the race as the temps are low and the surface is slippery so getting temperature in to the tyres will be difficult. If they can, they'll start to perform but I think it's big "if".
Looks like the softest tyre will be the race tyre. The tarmac is like a baby's bottom. A very black alien baby with oil oozing out of his skin.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Shrieker

Tires that go off but don't explode when they feel like it would be nice for starters.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

godlameroso

Wow, Max took it hard getting outqualified by Stroll.

Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Shrieker wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 17:21
Tires that go off but don't explode when they feel like it would be nice for starters.
The tires get internal blisters, it's the only thing that explains the vibrations laps before they let go.
Saishū kōnā

Racer X

Juzh wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 17:18
Stroll did a green mini sector under yellows, passing a spun perez, on his pole lap. We'll see if anything comes of this. Probably not.

I don't think anything will happen it's Stroll for some reason rules avoid him.

I also hope nothing happens with Max.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

dtro
dtro

Hammerfist wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 17:02
dtro wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 16:56
Jaeger wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 16:32
'Nuff said..

https://ibb.co/cCjPZZL
Dude needs to recalibrate. Points are rewarded tomorrow and this might be his cleanest chance at a race win all year. Sh*t.
He really cares about those pole positions. He always is upset about losing them and he has lost quite a few already usually due to his own fault. But today he was screwed by his team.
Yes he does... If the team held him in the box for like another ten fifteen seconds he would've had a better gap to Rai yes, but I hesitate to say he was screwed by them. Too many factors. The inters could probably handle a slightly slower outlap to build a gap to the car ahead on any other track except Portimao and apparently Istanbul Park.

It is what it is, he'll be in a really good position to capitalize on his position and the absence of the Mercs to win I'd say.

search

Sainz got a +3 grid penalty for impeding Perez. I'd be surprised if Stroll doesn't get one as well (or even more) for ignoring that yellow flag

edit: he was cleared though, telemetry showed that he went off the throttle sufficiently

MtthsMlw

No further action - Stroll keeps pole

nzjrs

Schuttelberg wrote:
Also, it is very evident that everyone is maintaining a PR line and trying to protect Pirelli about the compounds they have this weekend. It is absolutely unbelievable. They simply have decided that they will get the hardest tyre so that they don't cut and there isn't a Silverstone 2013 kind backlash. This nonsense has been going on for a very very long time. The funny thing is that inspite of this third rate product and conservative approach with snooze fest one stop races, tyre failures have not vanished.
Bollocks. They selected the tires before the track was resurfaced without their knowledge.

If people are protecting Pirelli today it is because they should.

NathanOlder

Hammerfist wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 17:02
dtro wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 16:56
Jaeger wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 16:32
'Nuff said..

https://ibb.co/cCjPZZL
Dude needs to recalibrate. Points are rewarded tomorrow and this might be his cleanest chance at a race win all year. Sh*t.
He really cares about those pole positions. He always is upset about losing them and he has lost quite a few already usually due to his own fault. But today he was screwed by his team.
How was he screwed by his team exactly? According to the timing app, RedBull actually got Max out in front of Kimi.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC