2020 Turkish Grand Prix - Instanbul Park, Nov 13 - 15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Schuttelberg

Re: 2020 Turkish Grand Prix - Instanbul Park, Nov 13 - 15

Bottas is simply the worst driver on the grid and the worst thing for him is that Hamilton is his team mate. A guy that spun 7 times on his own today is in a team that has now won 7 championships in a row.
Mercedes will protect him because they're a great team and they know how to look after their drivers but god have mercy on them once Hamilton hangs up his helmet.
There's always a reason for him being poor apart from himself. The track, tyres, debris, car and sometimes even bees.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Sieper

PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 20:44
Sieper wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 20:28
PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 20:23

He had newer tyres + he has number 1 status.
This is so derogatory. He spun (a 360) in a slow corner and was on the gas quite quickly. He did not loose that much. He also gained on Albon quickly when he was not on his tail yet (when he caught up to him for the first time) If he had number one status (he does, but that did not come in to play today) they would not have left him spent like 5/6 laps behind Albon. Why always these little stabs, come on.
After the spin Max was about four to six seconds behind. He caught Albon after a while due to newer tyres. Then Albon clearly pulled aside to let Max through. Where is the stab?

I am too happy today to take stabs. If i wanted to take stabs I wpuld have mentioned how even with clearly the fastest car today Max threw away the race by choking multiple times. But to keep the peace in these sensitive times I hold my tongue.
By all means go ahead and criticize, but Max caught Albon under his own steam, and after the kimi appreciation simultaneous spin, he did it twice imho. That Albon did not defend hard, well, did Perez do that in exactly the same spot on Hamilton?

In fact, I could be taking stabs Just as well, Hamilton, in clearly the fastest car since 2014 was nowhere in qualy, was nowhere when it was full-wet wet today, was very lucky Ricciardo moved out the way for him at the start (or he cunningly counted on that if you want to be positive) clumsily missed turn 9 and lost position to Vettel and Verstappen due to that. Causing him to have to be behind Vettel for a long time, clumsily made an attempt on vettel and lost another position to Albon and then only when The track dried out enough could use his superior car again to win the race. As Verstappen who pressured Perez into a mistake spun himself whilst Hamilton arrived at Perez back when DRS was enabled again.

But in the spirit of today, and actually appreciating Hamiltons still great drive today (I mean that, he did do great imho, won in style) I also won’t be doing that. But I could have.

We all know they make mistakes, but please just appreciate the things they do do well as well and don’t try to talk that down.
Last edited by Sieper on 15 Nov 2020, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.

Shrieker

Wouter wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 20:32
This Turkish commentator describes the last minutes and is now really ready for a week of rest.
Magnificent!! :lol:
Are all Turkish commentators like that, @Etusch? ;-)
Yeah we got some posh football commentators, but this is the first time I've seen Serhan Acar so full of emotion.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Shrieker

Schuttelberg wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 20:58
Bottas is simply the worst driver on the grid and the worst thing for him is that Hamilton is his team mate. A guy that spun 7 times on his own today is in a team that has now won 7 championships in a row.
Mercedes will protect him because they're a great team and they know how to look after their drivers but god have mercy on them once Hamilton hangs up his helmet.
There's always a reason for him being poor apart from himself. The track, tyres, debris, car and sometimes even bees.
Oh come on. He had contact on the first lap and the poor sod's steering was out of alignment for the rest of the race. I know what a nightmare it is to try drive like that from iracing. I usually pull to the side and quit when that happens :lol:
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

PlatinumZealot

Schuttelberg wrote:
He kept spinning in that same puddle after turn one. That left front wheel he kept dipping it, and going on the throttle. Bizzare.

I dont think he is the worst driver on the gird though. Far from it. Hasn't done much mistakes this year..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

falonso81

If i was Ferrari i would not have pitted Seb for the second time. He could have had a crack at the win.

Shrieker

falonso81 wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 21:11
If i was Ferrari i would not have pitted Seb for the second time. He could have had a crack at the win.
I doubt his tires would've held up. The Merc cars who finished ahead of him are much better at tire management.
-Atatürk

Sieper

PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 21:04
Schuttelberg wrote:
He kept spinning in that same puddle after turn one. That left front wheel he kept dipping it, and going on the throttle. Bizzare.

I dont think he is the worst driver on the gird though. Far from it. Hasn't done much mistakes this year..
That I now have to be the one to defend Bottas, but perhaps at that stage his missing DF, as a consequence badly worn right front tire and his out of alignment steering left him no other choice but taking that turn in that way. I’m not a fan but he is not that bad, that I can’t believe.

LM10
LM10

Shrieker wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 21:01
Schuttelberg wrote:
Oh come on. He had contact on the first lap and the poor sod's steering was out of alignment for the rest of the race. I know what a nightmare it is to try drive like that from iracing. I usually pull to the side and quit when that happens :lol:
Vettel won the Hungarian GP with a steering out of alignment back in 2017.

I don't know how much DF Bottas lost by the lack of his footplate, but that must have been the main reason for his spins.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Sieper wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 20:15
and Max had the wrong wing setting (off by 7 degrees) due to a software glitch in setting up.
7 degrees? That would be visible by eye - a simple look at it would be obvious there was an error. Do you have a source for that.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Sieper

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 21:22
Sieper wrote:
and Max had the wrong wing setting (off by 7 degrees) due to a software glitch in setting up.
7 degrees? That would be visible by eye - a simple look at it would be obvious there was an error. Do you have a source for that.
Certainly, in Dutch though;

https://www.gpfans.com/nl/artikelen/592 ... adliner.nl

One side was off by 7 degrees, the other not. I did see (but can’t remember when it was) the broadcast show the Verstappen pit box and a bunch of engineers scratching their heads and holding measuring tools of some sort.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Sieper wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 21:32
Just_a_fan wrote:
Sieper wrote:

One side was off by 7 degrees, the other not. I did see (but can’t remember when it was) the broadcast show the Verstappen pit box and a bunch of engineers scratching their heads and holding measuring tools of some sort.
He says seven degrees short (according to Google translate). I assume that means it was seven degrees too low on the top element. Better that than too steep, of course, as that would likely make it too oversteery.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Shrieker

Am I the only one to see the thread is opened as Instanbul lol
-Atatürk

Sieper

Shrieker wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 21:38
Am I the only one to see the thread is opened as Instanbul lol
Ahaha, yes, apparently :oops: :P

Sieper

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 21:38
Sieper wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 21:32
Just_a_fan wrote:

He says seven degrees short (according to Google translate). I assume that means it was seven degrees too low on the top element. Better that than too steep, of course, as that would likely make it too oversteery.
Yes, but he also said on the radio, all weekend, on the inters, when grip came in to play more, more aero load, he just couldn’t steer in. He couldn’t keep up with the McLarens in FP3, Q1. Argh. Could have cost him the pole, not being able to start in second gear. Double Argh.