McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
CjC
CjC

Re: McLaren MCL35

f1rules wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 14:43
Just noticed they have the floor extensions/appendage in front of the rear wheels
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EmyOKL-XcAAdGWp.jpg
Wow that first made an appearance in Austria 2?
Just a fan's point of view

diffuser

CjC wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 15:53
f1rules wrote:
Just noticed they have the floor extensions/appendage in front of the rear wheels
It's significantly larger than it was Here on Oct 30th.

diffuser

Stu wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 13:26
Great pics!
Do you think that they are using the metal part across the entry to the central tunnel to form ‘jets’ of air, or are they form small vortices to prevent stall?
Vortexes to reduce drag. I think it's almost impossible to stall there....you stall much closer to the front from there, if you were to stall.

CjC
CjC

diffuser wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 17:44
CjC wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 15:53
f1rules wrote:
It's significantly larger than it was Here on Oct 30th.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ElllQ63XYAE ... ame=medium
No I referring to this from the 10th of July- Austria 2.

https://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewt ... &start=675

It’s taken them over 3 months to get in on the car for the race from it being initially tested.

It seems to be taking Mclaren a looong time to get parts to work on the car this season....
Just a fan's point of view

godlameroso

Did they qualify with the new front wing or their hybrid version?
Saishū kōnā

mclaren111

godlameroso wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 18:40
Did they qualify with the new front wing or their hybrid version?
Looks like the old one...

Chicane

In a nutshell, new front wing and bargeboards a thumbs up but the new front wing has failed to generate desired results. As they say you learn more from your failed attempts than succesful ones so all the data from Norris running the front wing from Russia would be like gold dust for McLaren.

The 2021 floor change is not as simple to adapt to as originally anticipated especially with the diffuser also shrinking in size. Even though McLaren are downplaying aero gains because of PU change i expect McLaren to be making significant use of the more compact Merc PU.

McLaren have lost a lot of points because of PU issues, bad luck, poor pitstops and on track incidents . So the team know that the car has been decently competitive that they are still in hunt for third.

I think those couple of tenths Ricciardo will bring to the table will make McLaren's life a lot more easier next season both on Saturdays and Sundays in a cut throat midfield. McLaren are missing that top reference every team needs to truly understand where the car stands. I rate Norris and Sainz and have no doubt Norris will improve further in 2021 especially from Ricciardo's influence but i have no doubt in my mind that had Ricciardo driven for McLaren this season McLaren would have sealed third on the championship by now even accounting for all the reliability issues and bad luck that they have had so far this season.
Quickshifter

michl420

It can be seen since the first race this year that the characteristic of the car is becoming more and more like the mercedes. This weekend proof it very much.

Herr_Koos

f1rules wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 15:32
And they continue to suck
Not in the race, they didn't.

Just_a_fan

diffuser wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 17:51
Stu wrote:
Great pics!
Do you think that they are using the metal part across the entry to the central tunnel to form ‘jets’ of air, or are they form small vortices to prevent stall?
Vortexes to reduce drag. I think it's almost impossible to stall there....you stall much closer to the front from there, if you were to stall.
Vortex generators to prevent stalling of the central part of the diffuser. That central section is so steep that air will separate from it causing it to stall.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

f1rules

yeah that i have to admit, and great save by the drivers
Herr_Koos wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 10:42
f1rules wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 15:32
And they continue to suck
Not in the race, they didn't.

diffuser

michl420 wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 14:07
It can be seen since the first race this year that the characteristic of the car is becoming more and more like the mercedes. This weekend proof it very much.
Not sure what this means.

diffuser

Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 11:01
diffuser wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 17:51
Stu wrote:

Great pics!
Vortex generators to prevent stalling of the central part of the diffuser. That central section is so steep that air will separate from it causing it to stall.
Ok, makes sense.

michl420

diffuser wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 16:37
michl420 wrote:
Friday, Saturday and first half of the race Ham and the Mclaren were slow, as it dry up and there was a chance for tyre temperatur the cars beginn to work. Things like this can be seen since the beginning of the season but of course not that extreme.

diffuser

michl420 wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 16:49
diffuser wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 16:37
michl420 wrote:
Friday, Saturday and first half of the race Ham and the Mclaren were slow, as it dry up and there was a chance for tyre temperatur the cars beginn to work. Things like this can be seen since the beginning of the season but of course not that extreme.
Think you missed a very important point where McLaren changed to an 2nd set of inters in the race and went faster. Bottas and Stroll did the same,overheated them and went slower. Hamilton/Perez didn't change thier tires and things went well for them.

Too me that shows that the Merc and the RP are getting alot more heat into thier tires than McLaren. The Merc and RP, when they replaced their tires, the new tires overheated. While the Merc's that didn't replace thier tires , the tires don't hold as much heat when worn, kept running well. While the McLaren's changing the tires allowed them to generate more heat in them and get inside the best operating window of the tire.

So I see a really big difference there in getting heat into the tires between the mercs and the McLaren.

I always wondered what Merc do to get so much heat into their tires. Downforce and mechanical grip are part of the equasion. Wonder if that's all it is.

Anyways this is not a topic for this Forum, it's for the other McLaren forum.