2020 Sakhir Grand Prix - Sakhir, Dec 04 - 06

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Oehrly

Re: 2020 Sakhir Grand Prix - Sakhir, Dec 04 - 06

matt_b wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:36
MtthsMlw wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:19
Russell DSQ? He had one of Bottas's tires. Is that an automatic disqualification?
Brundle said in the race they have 3 laps to rectify it to escape a penalty which they did.
The german commentators apparently checked the rules and came to a different conclusion. They said the three laps to rectify it are for mixed compounds only. But apparently your not allowed to run tires from the wrong car under any circumstances.

grubschumi13

Schuttelberg wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:34
JRindt wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:29
Schuttelberg wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:22
It's amazing how easy the world goes on Charles. If Lewis, Max and Seb had done what he did, the internet would have gone in a full blown meltdown.
Yeah. He should be penalised there. Especially considering he’s made a habit out of these lunges on the inside. This is the 3rd time this season OTOH
I can see what he's trying to do. He's using these races and seasons where he's nothing to gain/lose and establish a ruthless image whereby his peers/rivals know he will be prepared to crash if they don't yield. It will work as long as he's Ferrari's wonder kid but it will go pear shaped if and when they find their new one.
IT will end when they have a car that can fight for wins and he throws it away on lap 1. I expect with Sainz next year, there will be some trouble.

LM10

Today we've seen why Mercedes has been keeping Bottas for years and I've told that numerous times already: He has the most dominant car, gets just enough points to secure WCC and is the perfect wingman for Lewis. If they still hold on Bottas for 2021 after what happened today, it will only further prove my point. Then I'm sure their intention will be to make Hamilton's 8th world title as easy as possible. No other single reason Bottas has that seat.

Russell totally destroyed him, as sorry as I am for him, but that's the reality. It was painful to watch after some point. George should have gotten the win today, but Mercedes stopped him by faking a puncture. That tells me that they will keep Bottas in 2021 and wanted to limit the embarrassment for him, also to not look like fools when being asked why on earth Russell is still at Williams.

lh13

TAG wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:09
What a race! A little bit of EVERYTHING! So happy for Checo! Apparently Mercedes forget how to run an F1 team when Lewis is away. LOL So much for the anyone can win in a Mercedes.
Must be a relief for you. BTW, Perez won in last year's Mercedes, and Russell would have won if not for a **** up by the team. So yeah, anyone can win in a Mercedes.

AMG.Tzan

Russell's luck reminds me of Raikkonen at Mclaren! Unbelievable...

How can he be the only one on track that picked up a puncture?? Can't believe it...

Perez last to first...deserved that win! Albon nowhere again...just announce Perez at Red Bull already!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

astracrazy

zeph wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:40
TechAddict wrote:
I get that poor teams need pay drivers, but how MB can keep Bottas and RB Albon is beyond my understanding.
Bottas is a solid #2 and Hamilton likes him. Team harmony is important. RBR painted themselves into a corner last year with the mid-season switch.
I don't even think he is solid. Bring the field closer to Mercedes and there is no guarantee of him finishing in the top 2.

Schuttelberg

siskue2005 wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:34
JRindt wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:29

Yeah. He should be penalised there. Especially considering he’s made a habit out of these lunges on the inside. This is the 3rd time this season OTOH
I can see what he's trying to do. He's using these races and seasons where he's nothing to gain/lose and establish a ruthless image whereby his peers/rivals know he will be prepared to crash if they don't yield. It will work as long as he's Ferrari's wonder kid but it will go pear shaped if and when they find their new one.
WOW!, that is one of the stupidest things I have read in this forum! Thank you :? :lol:
May be you should read your own posts? You'll perhaps understand what stupid truly is! :lol:
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

El Scorchio

zeph wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:28
Schuttelberg wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:22
It's amazing how easy the world goes on Charles. If Lewis, Max and Seb had done what he did, the internet would have gone in a full blown meltdown.
Yeah, that was a hare-brained move. I felt the same way.
Well. The chances of seeing Hamilton do that are very remote. There’s Albon last year but that’s about it.

The others not so remote.

I think Charles gets a little bit of an easy ride in comparison to the above because firstly he’s much younger and secondly for whatever reason I don’t think anyone on here ever feels the need to bash him overly for every little thing, whereas it’s absolutely the case with the other drivers you mentioned.

El Scorchio

LM10 wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:44
Today we've seen why Mercedes has been keeping Bottas for years and I've told that numerous times already: He has the most dominant car, gets just enough points to secure WCC and is the perfect wingman for Lewis. If they still hold on Bottas for 2021 after what happened today, it will only further prove my point. Then I'm sure their intention will be to make Hamilton's 8th world title as easy as possible. No other single reason Bottas has that seat.

Russell totally destroyed him, as sorry as I am for him, but that's the reality. It was painful to watch after some point. George should have gotten the win today, but Mercedes stopped him by faking a puncture. That tells me that they will keep Bottas in 2021 and wanted to limit the embarrassment for him, also to not look like fools when being asked why on earth Russell is still at Williams.
They stopped him by faking a puncture? What’s your source for this info?

El Scorchio

If Russell gets DQ’d then this is simply awful news.

astracrazy wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:46
zeph wrote:
TechAddict wrote:
I get that poor teams need pay drivers, but how MB can keep Bottas and RB Albon is beyond my understanding.
Bottas is a solid #2 and Hamilton likes him. Team harmony is important. RBR painted themselves into a corner last year with the mid-season switch.
I don't even think he is solid. Bring the field closer to Mercedes and there is no guarantee of him finishing in the top 2.
That’s not the reality though is it. Merc have a fantastic car, RB have their race weekends but they’re not really a challenge. BOT is a fine No. 2 given the circumstances.

It’s also worth a reminder, BOT cut the gap to RUS by about 4.5secs on the hards. He might’ve been in with a shout if a one-stop was maintained.
Last edited by 214270 on 06 Dec 2020, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

foxmulder_ms

LM10 wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:44

cool story..

PlatinumZealot

lh13 wrote:
Some Hamilton fans were hell bent on proving that Bottas is anything decent! I'm sure they're glad Russell did not win today. Bottas is there for a reason, to keep certain someone happy. It maybe a surprise for us, but Mercedes always knew how quick Russell was (is), yet he wasn't put in the car for next year. And people claim there is no #1/#2 in Mercedes.
Acrually most HAM fans want Russel. They have an appetite for HAM destroying stars.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mzso

El Scorchio wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:24
Sky dodging asking Stroll sr the hard question as well.
They know the answers and they know that he's prickly and would probably be the last interview with him if they did.
Seems like the sort of person who would walk off the interview if he's annoyed.
zibby43 wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:24
Bottas was outclassed by George today.

I've been a staunch Bottas supporter, but I'm a believer in accountability, and I've got to put my hand up and acknowledge what I saw today.

If I were Toto, I'd be finding out a way to buy out Bottas' 2021 contract.

It doesn't matter if George isn't on Hamilton's qualifying pace next year if he can race like he did today. Full stop.
A more viable approach (might be cheaper as well) would be to orchestrate a swap with Williams.
I'm quite sure they're still looking for cash and maybe more so for technological aid.

Shrieker

They'll DQ Russell sadly. They put Bottas' tires on his car, which means he exceeded the amount of maximum allowed tire sets (13), and the rule says he should be DQ'ed. Sad for George, but he should keep his head up. He proved his worth today.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk