[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Scorpaguy

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Deservedly so or not, Rus's performance put a dent in the mustique and reputation of Ham. Ham was going to test negative and Rus was not going to race this weekend...regardless.

zibby43

Toto Wolff will remain in F1 as Team Principal of Mercedes.

(Translated from German)

"Abu Dhabi (AP) - Toto Wolff remains team boss of the world champion racing team Mercedes. 'Yes, I'll stay in Formula 1. Even as a team boss,' said the 48-year-old in an interview with the 'Süddeutsche Zeitung.'

The contract with Daimler would have expired at the end of the year and Wolff said he had also thought about cutting back. In the almost eight years in Formula 1, he had little time to regenerate and little time with the family on this 360-day job.

Due to the corona pandemic, he was able to reflect in peace. 'But in the end I came to the decision that there is no work-life balance for me. Actually, everything is life for me. I enjoy running this company and I share my passion for motorsport with my wife,' said the former racing driver.

Wolff assumes that there will be an upper salary limit for drivers in Formula 1 in the future. 'The salary cap will definitely come,' emphasized the Austrian. This structure has existed in the US leagues for ten years. This stopped the billionaires' 'who pays the other more' competition and capped salaries at an admittedly very high level. 'This made the companies profitable,' said Wolff and added: 'This is how the whole circus stays alive. You can't ask that investors get into Formula 1 and stay if they have to subsidize their team every year.'

Before the last Formula 1 race of the season in Abu Dhabi this weekend, it was already clear that British Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton had won his seventh world title as did the Mercedes team."

Phil

One contract extendion settled, one more to go.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

NathanOlder

godlameroso wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 02:00
PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 02:13
Bottas couldnt get any fresh mediums because Russell had them half way down the road! Lol

They made the best decision to put him back in hards. Bottas lost too much temperature and the tyres weren't brought in back properly after that. Pretty much a downward spiral.
Checo had no such issue with his hards.
Dont forget though that Sergio is probably the best driver on the grid at looking after those tyres. So Bottas will never do as well on tyres as Sergio.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Phil

I wouldnt compare the tire wear of one driver in one car with that of another in a completely different car. Bottas isnt bad by any measure - he’s just not as good as Hamilton. And we dont know how much of that could be attributed to slight set up variations, where Hamilton might be tilting his setup more towards the race at the expense of qualifying while Bottas might not. I havent seen anything concrete that that is what is actually happening, but some have suggested this in the past.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

NathanOlder

Yeah, Im just going on, Bottas is not as good as Hamilton with tyres, so Bottas is not great. Checo has been good on tyres every year, also in different teams. So Bottas just wont be as good as Checo .
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

nacho

godlameroso wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 02:00

Checo had no such issue with his hards.
Yes because he could keep the hards warm by staying on the track. If you let used hard tires cool down it's not easy to get them working.

Later in the race I think we heard the engineer tell Checo to lean on the tires when he was leading, he wasn't slowing down and I assume this was to ensure he doesn't drop the temperature in the worn hards.

Raleigh

Exactly, Perez kept the tyres hot which kept them alive, once Bottas lost temp his tyres lost grip and just started disintegrating.

Perez is also really good at keeping tyres alive, even compared to Stroll and Ocon on the hard tyres who also stayed out he just took off after the safety car.

holeindalip

I think Bottas had glazed brakes after the pit stop fiasco since they were on fire limiting his ultimate pace not just because of the used hards imho....

McG

F1 is dead.

Just_a_fan

McG wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 19:01
https://ibb.co/z4XFcDS
Shame there's no vaccine for that jacket. Yikes! :shock:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

McG wrote:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Morteza

Moore77 wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 06:15
https://the-race.com/formula-1/russell- ... -hamilton/
Wolff said there is a “very special surprise” planned for its team members this weekend in the form of a slightly revised car design.

“We’ll be running a slightly different livery on Saturday and Sunday featuring everyone’s name on the car to honour the huge commitment and determination from everybody in Brixworth and Brackley,” said Wolff.

“Everyone has pushed hard this year, raising the bar through this massively intense season, and we hope this gesture goes some way in showing the appreciation we have for everyone involved.”
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

McG

Morteza wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 11:38
Moore77 wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 06:15
https://the-race.com/formula-1/russell- ... -hamilton/
Wolff said there is a “very special surprise” planned for its team members this weekend in the form of a slightly revised car design.

“We’ll be running a slightly different livery on Saturday and Sunday featuring everyone’s name on the car to honour the huge commitment and determination from everybody in Brixworth and Brackley,” said Wolff.

“Everyone has pushed hard this year, raising the bar through this massively intense season, and we hope this gesture goes some way in showing the appreciation we have for everyone involved.”
https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/statu ... 4650875905
No red star :( But really nice design the way it looks like silver breaking through the black paint. Hopefully back to all silver in 2021 and leave this while sorry mess Hamilton imposed behind them.
F1 is dead.

Manoah2u

McG wrote:
https://ibb.co/z4XFcDS
ugly outfits matter
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"