Ferrari SF1000

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
F1NAC

Re: Ferrari SF1000

Just now realising monster cooling outlet on Ferrari

ryaan2904

Some of the images for friday practice showed some insane rake on that Ferrari. Will Ferrari run RBR level rake in 2021?
CFD Eyes of Sauron

FDD
FDD

ryaan2904 wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 09:53
Some of the images for friday practice showed some insane rake on that Ferrari. Will Ferrari run RBR level rake in 2021?
I missed this images, can you post them or link where I can see, please?

ryaan2904

I'm sure motorsport italy posted some images... wait ill try to find the link
CFD Eyes of Sauron

Xwang

There is one thing that puzzle me.
They have made this probes setting to minimize the effects that the rear mounted structure has on the flow which is studied trying to align all the surfaces and probes to the "expected" direction of the flow in each point of measure.
But why have they left the six black round bars which seems to impact on the flow a lot? It seems somehow half cooked.

FDD
FDD

Xwang wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 19:35
They have made this probes setting to minimize the effects that the rear mounted structure has on the flow which is studied trying to align all the surfaces and probes to the "expected" direction of the flow in each point of measure.
But why have they left the six black round bars which seems to impact on the flow a lot? It seems somehow half cooked.
The bars are behind the rack, so probably they do not have hard impact on the measurement, my opinion I do not know, only they do maybe, aerodimics is also in certain cases based on assumptions :)

SAEED

Xwang wrote:
The bars are supports for the structure. They are shaped and positioned in a such a way so that they have minimal effect on the flow field. They have probably designed the structure surfaces to align them to the flow. One obvious effect is less obstruction to the flow. I had read previously that they use Kiel probes, which is less sensitive to flow misalignment than standard Pitot tubes. I'm not sure if they used Kiel probes or standard Pitot tubes here. Even if they did use Kiel probes, may be the sensitivity is still too high and they are trying to align the probes to the flow. But one may argue about aligning a probe to flow that is vortical in nature.

Just_a_fan

SAEED wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 08:34
Xwang wrote:
The bars are supports for the structure. They are shaped and positioned in a such a way so that they have minimal effect on the flow field.
He's talking about the black rods that are simple circular sections and run behind the aero rake. I would say the reason they're just circular section rods is because they're behind the rake and therefore downstream of it and any aero effect from them is going to be minimal.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

LM10

The article the picture of this new aero rake is from says that a big amount of money and work went into developing that. I wonder how much time and money it actually took/cost them.

SiLo

F1NAC wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 09:32
Well this makes sense right? As Ferrari have to find legal ways to make power, and running the engine rich naturally cools it they may have to open up the bodywork more to get more power from the engine when it runs lean.
Felipe Baby!

SiLo

SiLo wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 11:00
F1NAC wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 09:32
Well this makes sense right? As Ferrari have to find legal ways to make power, and running the engine rich naturally cools it they may have to open up the bodywork more to get more power from the engine when it runs lean.
Salty Ferrari fan rating my post negatively? I'm not too versed in engine mechanics, but I certainly understand that their trick previously would have allowed them to run the engine rich, which cools the pistons and piston chambers more. Hence my comment about potentially having to open up the cooling outlets as they find more power with less fuel.
Felipe Baby!

Morteza

The reason for their slow pit stops this season according to Ferrari's Diego Ioverno
The number of stops above 3.5 seconds is too high compared to past Ferrari standards. In most cases, this is due to a defect in the wheel nut. The thread is not strong enough, and the nut has come off several times. This is a reliability issue, which we will resolve next year.

“When guys feel, even subconsciously, that they are using a part that presents a risk, with a smaller margin of error to engage the air gun, it affects the whole procedure.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ryaan2904

Morteza wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 15:38
The reason for their slow pit stops this season according to Ferrari's Diego Ioverno
The number of stops above 3.5 seconds is too high compared to past Ferrari standards. In most cases, this is due to a defect in the wheel nut. The thread is not strong enough, and the nut has come off several times. This is a reliability issue, which we will resolve next year.

“When guys feel, even subconsciously, that they are using a part that presents a risk, with a smaller margin of error to engage the air gun, it affects the whole procedure.
https://f1i.auto-moto.com/wp-content/up ... -ecrou.jpg
This is unacceptable for a team such as Ferrari. Like you can understand when Ferrari --- up their cars sometimes (unfortunate but can happen to teams), but ffing a simple wheelnut design which they've already designed correctly before is just unbelievable.
Marchionne's death really changed the team. I can only imagine the scores of engineers he would have fired had he seen such a thing.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

Zynerji

I have rarely found termination as the best way to deal with f* ups.

Better to instill a sense of "paying back" the team with extra diligence going forward.

That way, you retain talent, and you instill a sense of growth in the work environment.

Its how you develop talent into lifelong employees.

MachineCo.

ryaan2904 wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 19:16
Morteza wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 15:38

https://f1i.auto-moto.com/wp-content/up ... -ecrou.jpg
This is unacceptable for a team such as Ferrari. Like you can understand when Ferrari --- up their cars sometimes (unfortunate but can happen to teams), but ffing a simple wheelnut design which they've already designed correctly before is just unbelievable.
Marchionne's death really changed the team. I can only imagine the scores of engineers he would have fired had he seen such a thing.

And that would lead to the exact mess they're trying to dig themselves out of right now.