Alpine A521

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JordanMugen

Re: Alpine A521

aleks_ader wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 20:22
Wow i agree Ligier flashback from 50 yrs back. That is one chunky boi. Almost they eliminate all rads in sidepods. LOL Are we sure they have rads in there. Maybe is flow trough design :d On serios note on first eye i almost think they pull another double floor experiment. Still pretty fluid design on floor and sidepods. I THINK this should be low drag monster. Even with that RAM air airbox. At least sidepods should produce little lift.
Both previous iterations were a flop. Why would you copy a flop? :?:

“We prefer to call them ‘extreme undercut sidepods’. It basically means we raise all the hardware that would normally be housed in the floor and sidepod area and clear a path to the rear of the car. It sounds easy but the installation has to change a lot in order to adopt the concept. The result is an uninterrupted pathway for the air to the rear of the car without having to go around the sidepods.”
- Ben Butler, Scuderia Toro Rosso
https://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/en/ ... 20208.html

https://www.formulapassion.it/wp-conten ... A-1992.jpg
- Ferrari F92A
Last edited by JordanMugen on 03 Mar 2021, 13:54, edited 2 times in total.

Mat-tes

With the video and press pictures being a full CGI car, there's really little to take out from this launch so far beyond the giant airbox, but it's interesting to see it grow so large without the team enlarging or adding any other intakes compared to 2020. Behind the driver's head things look to have been pulled in tighter, there is a step down now compared to a smooth transition from the previous years where the hallo and driver's side protection meets with the sidepod slope.
Giant brake ducts at the front to go with the perforated wheel spokes.

They are the only team to have those side blades on the top edge of the tub (above the red mapfre) right? I know they are stuck with the 2019 chassis, but it would be easy to plug these slots with a flat panel so it must be of help to keep the flow from spilling out of the top side.

We'll see on track if anything jumps out compared to these rendering quick enough now.

RedNEO

mclaren111

Ringleheim wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 00:04
I like the shade of blue, but the red, white, and black sides destroy the look. Too broken up.

If this car was painted that blue color all over but with black wings, it would look great.

Agreed...

PowerandtheGlory

If anyone gets pictures from the shakedown, lets see them on here please guys [-o<
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

r101

In the Esteban's live helemet reveal the camera was pointed at the car first, full on front view. Then they moved towards the pit wall. That part of the video has been removed now.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

stan_french

Damn tho, that center airbox is one chunky boiiii.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

hollus

Livery chat in the team thread or in dedicated threads, thanks.
Rivals, not enemies.

RedNEO

mclaren111

These Hybrid PU's sound absolutely Terrible....

shady

PlatinumZealot wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 01:46
shady wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 00:06
MtthsMlw wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 17:43
Interesting slotted cape
https://i.imgur.com/yweHBLD.jpg
The cape isnt slotted, thats an optical illusion.

The outer edge of the cape is lower than the 'mainplane' of the cape, it falls off a bit. the white lights above make that transition look like a slot. In addition, there are vertical strakes on the cape as well, they look almost like hooks, they are just flow conditioners, the combination of these plus the angle make it look like a slot.
Remove your shades.
Still not seeing a 'slot' even on the shakedown footage..

PlatinumZealot

shady wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 16:38
PlatinumZealot wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 01:46
shady wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 00:06

The cape isnt slotted, thats an optical illusion.

The outer edge of the cape is lower than the 'mainplane' of the cape, it falls off a bit. the white lights above make that transition look like a slot. In addition, there are vertical strakes on the cape as well, they look almost like hooks, they are just flow conditioners, the combination of these plus the angle make it look like a slot.
Remove your shades.
Still not seeing a 'slot' even on the shakedown footage..
It is not attached in those shots that's why. You might see it again in testing or the first race.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

wowgr8

Did they utilize the extra cooling inlet below the roll hoop intake last year as well?? If so that is a detail I completely missed