Alpine A521

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
jjn9128

Re: Alpine A521

aral wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 17:34
Alpine did run with a normal narrow engine cover for a time in testing. so the bulkiness of this cover is not to enclose any radiators or equipment. meaning that the bulkiness is there in a deliberate attempt to take air down to and out of the rear air tunnels. i wonder what the time differences were?
Was it narrower or just shorter. Difficult to judge what is happening without seeing the internal structures. Could be some coolers were rejigged to be smaller/bigger or more/less vertical. The internal flow could also be significantly different.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

diffuser

jjn9128 wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 17:50
aral wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 17:34
Alpine did run with a normal narrow engine cover for a time in testing. so the bulkiness of this cover is not to enclose any radiators or equipment. meaning that the bulkiness is there in a deliberate attempt to take air down to and out of the rear air tunnels. i wonder what the time differences were?
Was it narrower or just shorter. Difficult to judge what is happening without seeing the internal structures. Could be some coolers were rejigged to be smaller/bigger or more/less vertical. The internal flow could also be significantly different.
From what I could tell from the images posted by Blackout(I think) in these pages of the Alpine car coming towards us. There was no difference in the width(Left to right). It was shorter front to back.

That doesn't there wasn't a picture of a narrow PU cover that I didn't see.

wowgr8

jjn9128 wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 12:56

Could be in 2022 we see more of this, especially as the side impact tubes are going to be forced into positions which will make the top inlet impossible, slimming the sidepod may be more optimal.
You mean the upper SIPS will be forced up high? Teams won't be able to lower them to the level they're at today? I remember asking Scarbs this and he said that the current sidepod inlet solutions would still be valid next year. Big big shame if we're forced to return the the old inlet positioning IMO, the current designs look way better and make the pre 2017/2018 style look very dated

jjn9128

diffuser wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 18:31
From what I could tell from the images posted by Blackout(I think) in these pages of the Alpine car coming towards us. There was no difference in the width(Left to right). It was shorter front to back.

That doesn't there wasn't a picture of a narrow PU cover that I didn't see.
So more likely an orientation/position change than anything else.

wowgr8 wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 19:07
You mean the upper SIPS will be forced up high? Teams won't be able to lower them to the level they're at today? I remember asking Scarbs this and he said that the current sidepod inlet solutions would still be valid next year. Big big shame if we're forced to return the the old inlet positioning IMO, the current designs look way better and make the pre 2017/2018 style look very dated
Looking at it they don't necessarily have to be that high but I do see a potential issue with surface continuity. To make the top loaded sidepod work seems to require a winglet to angle the air downwards and in - which is quite a thin element which I don't know if it will be allowed. Also the bottom around the SIT will have to be more shrouded - basically now the SIT is just covered with a thin skin/wing.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Blackout

godlameroso wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 00:34
McLaren did a smart move as did Red Bull, they both have a mixture of over and undercut (...)
Renault's packaging leaves a lot to be desired in this area compared to McLaren and Red Bull (...)
I would say RB is 80% downwash and 20% undercut (very roughly, it's an example, you'll get the idea)
Mclaren is 60% downwash and 40% undercut
Williams is 95% downwash and 5% undercut
Mercedes and AM are 50/50, they got he best of both worlds + an agressive coke bottle shape
https://i.imgur.com/4XYJjCn.jpg

IMO the first reason that prevents the Renault/Alpine car from having an aggressive downwash and from tapering the top and the flancs of their sidepod bodywork (aft the radiator) is the classic shape and the width of their exhaust manifold, which is partly due to their non-split turbo layout. So they have to extend the bodywork further than others to have a smooth transition around the manifold...
The latter plays a big role in this area.

RB could sculpt the bodywork after the radiator more but they chose to put the exhaust manifold on low and relatively flat ont the floor and extend the 'ramp' over them...
viewtopic.php?p=958931#p958931
Pics from Nextgen-auto and Cataluña Circuit
Last edited by Blackout on 25 Mar 2021, 13:21, edited 2 times in total.

diffuser

Blackout wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 14:07
Sakhir 21 - Hungary 20
https://i.imgur.com/FLot626.jpg

The natural flowviz version (Sakhir 21 - Turkey 20)
https://i.imgur.com/2MR4H1l.jpg
Have you seen any flow vis shots? be interesting to see what the flow is over that cover ?

ferkan

Are you sure? To my eyes Ferrari downwash looks pretty aggressive, Alpine looks almost non existant.

Blackout

@Diffuser: No, I've seen no flowviz on the bodywork.
ferkan wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 19:47
Are you sure? To my eyes Ferrari downwash looks pretty aggressive, Alpine looks almost non existant.
I meant not as agressive as some other teams.
Last edited by Blackout on 24 Mar 2021, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.

Blackout

Stu wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 08:41
Blackout wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 11:32
There is definitely something new at each side of the gearbox... (blue) An internal bodywork?
https://i.imgur.com/7kz2M9q.png
Saw that and wondered the same!
Is the huge engine cover ducting air through the car, creating a giant air curtain that exits directly above the diffuser...
If it is, they will prosper while everyone points and laughs.
It could be a genius piece of design!!!
I always wondered how is the internal air flow compared to the outer one. Does it have a higher or a lower pressure? and what about its energy?

In many CFD pics, the outside air seems to be relatively slow near the back of the engine cover. But what about the inside flow? It definitely loses speed in the expanding entry duct, and then it should lose energy through the rad, but it's supposed to regain speed aft the radiators, inside the tapered exit duct + some energy, thanks to the heat... but how does it compare to the outside air?
Would it exit through the suspension holes or would it attract some outside air?

Regarding the Renault, I got the impression that in their last 3 cars, the hot air coming out of the CCS (in red) flowed quite 'freely' afterwards... https://i.imgur.com/qHWAEcr.jpg

If you follow the curves of that RS.18 rollhoop cover (top left), the bodywork gently guided this hot air downwards IMO. This air joined the sidepod hot air and they came out together from the rear exit...
That relatively free air downstream of the CCS even had to bypass the internal organs of the car, such as the yellow-colored compressor duct...

So maybe in 2021, Alpine provided the air coming out of the CCS with its own ducts, to manage it better, in order to improve cooling... and that too made the the rollhoop cover even wider?
Those blue things could be the edges of those new ducts...

_cerber1

From Albert Fabrega

RedNEO

_cerber1 wrote:
25 Mar 2021, 11:26
From Albert Fabrega
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ExUEY2wXIAA ... ame=medium
@albertfabrega
I guess the reason Alpine's big engine cover is cooling. More cooling on top, less on the sidepods, but looks moved backwards, due engine?

Blackout

The air-air intercoolers are still there at the bottom of the sidepods, so the sidepod cooling looks very similar to the previous ones, at first glance.
But now we can't see the Renault CCS, because around it there is carbon. Probably the air ducts that are fed by the two new vertical slots of the lower intake.
These ducts seem to provide air to the new CCS placed behind in a more vertical position. It also seems to get air from the altered top air intake.

What about the good old CCS? Is it still there, hidden behind the new ducts?
We'll know in the next episode.

Morteza

Via @f1debrief
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

_cerber1

От Альберта Фабреги

RedNEO

@NicolasF1i
The engine cover on the Alpine is so broad because, it seems, there is lateral ducting for cooler.
#F1 | #BahrainGP | #TechF1