2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
djos

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

mythr-ran-dire wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 17:45
I'm sure Ricciardo will get there eventually, but as a team we have nothing to worry about. He's scoring points and avoiding mistakes while he gets used to the car and settles in. All the while Lando is performing brilliantly, leading the charge.

It's a good time to be a Mclaren fan.
He will! Let’s not forget that Daniel and Fernando are being beaten by their team mates ATM while getting to grips with their new cars.

Pre-season testing was almost non-existent this year (compared to the 2 weeks we used to get pre-covid) and that will be hurting both of them.

Still epic job by Lando, Very impressive to watch.

PS great to see Daniel is showing his quality by not having a tantrum and letting Lando through as soon as he was asked.
Last edited by djos on 19 Apr 2021, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

diffuser

McL-H wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 19:19
If Danny does not improve before the Summer break, we should try and get Lewis back in the car. He doesn’t seem too happy at Mercedes this year.
You know Danny has a 2 year contract with an option for a 3ird year right? You'd have to buy him out. Plus, not sure of this, but there was talk about driver salaries going towards the cap.

diffuser

Jambier wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 20:19
It is really different indeed some driver like SAI seem to have no issues to change car

But RIC is suffering, VET as well
By Sainz own admissions he is. It's just you don't expect Sainz to be faster than Leclerc.

They're all down on what they can do.

Jambier

diffuser wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 12:53
Jambier wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 20:19
It is really different indeed some driver like SAI seem to have no issues to change car

But RIC is suffering, VET as well
By Sainz own admissions he is. It's just you don't expect Sainz to be faster than Leclerc.

They're all down on what they can do.
You are right :D

mwillems

mclaren111 wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 12:15
Most positive aspect for me this weekend was how much we reduced the gap compared to last year...

Last year we were 1.2 seconds of pole...
We were barely able to keep up with Verstappen (Mediums) when we were on softs after the restart, which then dropped down to an average just under second a lap difference. So on Race pace we still have some work to do, certainly on this configuration of track.

What is great, is that we are slowly appear to be third quickest team on Merit, and at worst we are the fourth quickest team. This is the third year in a row the car has followed a strong upward trajectory in its development. Although we have to be fully honest, let's face it, we've been helped this year by the regulations helping teams with rake.

Next year is another big year, and if we continue that progress for a fourth year then expect us to be back on regular podiums in 2022. That' a big if of course, in the radical shake up. But I feel confident about how this team design a car, to feel that they understand how to deal with the issues around the new regs.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Macklaren

mwillems wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 13:52
mclaren111 wrote:
Most positive aspect for me this weekend was how much we reduced the gap compared to last year...

We were barely able to keep up with Verstappen (Mediums) when we were on softs after the restart, which then dropped down to an average just under second a lap difference. So on Race pace we still have some work to do, certainly on this configuration of track.
While this is an objective analysis, I don't think it is entirely fair. Lando has said that he went into tire saving mode within half a lap of the restart, knowing that tire life was going to be critical at the end. It was evident that the opporunity was with defense from behind than attack in front. More importantly, Lando was able to keep Perez behind him on same tires with identical life after their first stop, which is very encouraging. Same with Bottas at the start of the race.

mwillems

Macklaren wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 14:03
mwillems wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:

While this is an objective analysis, I don't think it is entirely fair. Lando has said that he went into tire saving mode within half a lap of the restart, knowing that tire life was going to be critical at the end. It was evident that the opporunity was with defense from behind than attack in front. More importantly, Lando was able to keep Perez behind him on same tires with identical life after their first stop, which is very encouraging. Same with Bottas at the start of the race.
But if we had a faster car we could restart on Mediums and we wouldn't have kept up with Max in those first few laps, so I don't think it would be any different. The only difference was that we tried to go for track position early as we didn't have a clear speed advantage over Ferrari at that point without the tyres.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

PhillipM

Because you need quite a time delta here to get past - especially at a restart with no DRS for a couple of laps.
Norris stayed within DRS range of Max for a lap until he backed off to stop the tyres cooking, I don't think that was too bad.

SmallSoldier

2021 Mclaren F1 Team

mclaren111 wrote:Most positive aspect for me this weekend was how much we reduced the gap compared to last year...

Mclaren was the team with the largest improvement Year on Year at Imola been not only closer to the front, but faster than in 2020:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by SmallSoldier on 19 Apr 2021, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.

SmallSoldier

Lucky wrote:Norris made a good start but had to correct after a snap of wheelspin while pulling past Ricciardo on the run to Tamburello, then survived a slap to the bargeboard from Stroll’s front-left tyre without damage.
https://the-race.com/formula-1/edd-stra ... er-debate/
He almost took out Daniel, some people complain about Lando’s losing places at the start, yesterday showed that it is better to lose some places and keep the car alive, it’s a long race after the first lap.

SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
Macklaren wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 14:03
mwillems wrote:
But if we had a faster car we could restart on Mediums and we wouldn't have kept up with Max in those first few laps, so I don't think it would be any different. The only difference was that we tried to go for track position early as we didn't have a clear speed advantage over Ferrari at that point without the tyres.
There is still a considerable gap to the front runners on race pace, there is no denying that... But Lando not chasing after Verstappen after the restart was simply in order to protect the tires and not be a sitting duck at the end of the race.

Why the Soft Tires versus the Mediums? Not because of how fast the car is, but how much faster you can warm the Soft tires... In a track that still showed to be a very difficult one to overtake, that move on Leclerc was critical and it was mainly due to Tire delta on that lap... After that it was a matter of nursing the tires during 80% of the lap and push in the last 2 corners to make sure there was enough gap with Leclerc for the main straight.

Nivedanm

A lot of people have been criticising Ricciardo for relatively lacklustre performance. Ross Brawn's column explains how bringing the tyre up to temperature in cold conditions and then in rainy conditions has been tricky, and the drivers' ability to shine in the race depended on it. He explains how Bottas could not turn on the tyre within a short time. I guess Ricciardo's problem is similar.

He was slow all day long on saturday, but managed to get into Q3 and posted a reasonably good lap in the end, when provided the time to learn how to warn the tyres in cold weather. But in the wet race condition, he probably did not have the time to learn how to turn on the intermediates. So, I guess he would be alright in a few races.

From the article:
"In my experience, the reason for such significant differences with the same cars is nearly always down to poor tyre temperature. I don’t think it was a case of drivers losing confidence here – they just didn’t seem to have the car they wanted and didn’t generate enough tyre temperature.

Sometimes a driver is getting the tyres to work and the other not – and it looks horrible as the difference is amplified massively, even if it’s only very fine margins."

Link: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... qJe10.html

the EDGE

mwillems wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 06:30

Landos next contract is going to be expensive at this rate. If he does this all season then he will place himself in the very top tier of drivers.
I wonder what performance bonuses are in his current contract

Lando has won the midfield battle 4 out of the last 5 races

He has finished 4th, (10th), 5th, 4th & 3rd

With the exception of Sakhir he has only been beaten by Mercs & Redbulls

diffuser

the EDGE wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 21:00
mwillems wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 06:30

Landos next contract is going to be expensive at this rate. If he does this all season then he will place himself in the very top tier of drivers.
I wonder what performance bonuses are in his current contract

Lando has won the midfield battle 4 out of the last 5 races

He has finished 4th, (10th), 5th, 4th & 3rd

With the exception of Sakhir he has only been beaten by Mercs & Redbulls

Why do people get way ahead of themselves? We're on Race 2.

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 15:46
mclaren111 wrote:Most positive aspect for me this weekend was how much we reduced the gap compared to last year...

Mclaren was the team with the largest improvement Year on Year at Portimao been not only closer to the front, but faster than in 2020:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202104 ... aecff8.jpg

I'm confused...Portimao is the next race....