2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
User avatar
djos
148
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 5:09 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

mythr-ran-dire wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:45 pm
I'm sure Ricciardo will get there eventually, but as a team we have nothing to worry about. He's scoring points and avoiding mistakes while he gets used to the car and settles in. All the while Lando is performing brilliantly, leading the charge.

It's a good time to be a Mclaren fan.
He will! Let’s not forget that Daniel and Fernando are being beaten by their team mates ATM while getting to grips with their new cars.

Pre-season testing was almost non-existent this year (compared to the 2 weeks we used to get pre-covid) and that will be hurting both of them.

Still epic job by Lando, Very impressive to watch.

PS great to see Daniel is showing his quality by not having a tantrum and letting Lando through as soon as he was asked.
Last edited by djos on Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.

User avatar
diffuser
225
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

McL-H wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:19 pm
If Danny does not improve before the Summer break, we should try and get Lewis back in the car. He doesn’t seem too happy at Mercedes this year.
You know Danny has a 2 year contract with an option for a 3ird year right? You'd have to buy him out. Plus, not sure of this, but there was talk about driver salaries going towards the cap.

User avatar
diffuser
225
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

Jambier wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:19 pm
It is really different indeed some driver like SAI seem to have no issues to change car

But RIC is suffering, VET as well
By Sainz own admissions he is. It's just you don't expect Sainz to be faster than Leclerc.

They're all down on what they can do.

User avatar
Jambier
14
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:02 am
Location: France

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

diffuser wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:53 am
Jambier wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:19 pm
It is really different indeed some driver like SAI seem to have no issues to change car

But RIC is suffering, VET as well
By Sainz own admissions he is. It's just you don't expect Sainz to be faster than Leclerc.

They're all down on what they can do.
You are right :D

mwillems
mwillems
58
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:11 pm

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

mclaren111 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:15 am
Most positive aspect for me this weekend was how much we reduced the gap compared to last year...

Last year we were 1.2 seconds of pole...
We were barely able to keep up with Verstappen (Mediums) when we were on softs after the restart, which then dropped down to an average just under second a lap difference. So on Race pace we still have some work to do, certainly on this configuration of track.

What is great, is that we are slowly appear to be third quickest team on Merit, and at worst we are the fourth quickest team. This is the third year in a row the car has followed a strong upward trajectory in its development. Although we have to be fully honest, let's face it, we've been helped this year by the regulations helping teams with rake.

Next year is another big year, and if we continue that progress for a fourth year then expect us to be back on regular podiums in 2022. That' a big if of course, in the radical shake up. But I feel confident about how this team design a car, to feel that they understand how to deal with the issues around the new regs.

Macklaren
Macklaren
30
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

mwillems wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:52 pm
mclaren111 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:15 am
Most positive aspect for me this weekend was how much we reduced the gap compared to last year...

Last year we were 1.2 seconds of pole...
We were barely able to keep up with Verstappen (Mediums) when we were on softs after the restart, which then dropped down to an average just under second a lap difference. So on Race pace we still have some work to do, certainly on this configuration of track.
While this is an objective analysis, I don't think it is entirely fair. Lando has said that he went into tire saving mode within half a lap of the restart, knowing that tire life was going to be critical at the end. It was evident that the opporunity was with defense from behind than attack in front. More importantly, Lando was able to keep Perez behind him on same tires with identical life after their first stop, which is very encouraging. Same with Bottas at the start of the race.

mwillems
mwillems
58
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:11 pm

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

Macklaren wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:03 pm
mwillems wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:52 pm
mclaren111 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:15 am
Most positive aspect for me this weekend was how much we reduced the gap compared to last year...

Last year we were 1.2 seconds of pole...
We were barely able to keep up with Verstappen (Mediums) when we were on softs after the restart, which then dropped down to an average just under second a lap difference. So on Race pace we still have some work to do, certainly on this configuration of track.
While this is an objective analysis, I don't think it is entirely fair. Lando has said that he went into tire saving mode within half a lap of the restart, knowing that tire life was going to be critical at the end. It was evident that the opporunity was with defense from behind than attack in front. More importantly, Lando was able to keep Perez behind him on same tires with identical life after their first stop, which is very encouraging. Same with Bottas at the start of the race.
But if we had a faster car we could restart on Mediums and we wouldn't have kept up with Max in those first few laps, so I don't think it would be any different. The only difference was that we tried to go for track position early as we didn't have a clear speed advantage over Ferrari at that point without the tyres.

PhillipM
PhillipM
391
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 2:18 pm
Location: Over the road from Boothy...

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

Because you need quite a time delta here to get past - especially at a restart with no DRS for a couple of laps.
Norris stayed within DRS range of Max for a lap until he backed off to stop the tyres cooking, I don't think that was too bad.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier
257
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

mclaren111 wrote:Most positive aspect for me this weekend was how much we reduced the gap compared to last year...

Last year we were 1.2 seconds of pole...
Mclaren was the team with the largest improvement Year on Year at Imola been not only closer to the front, but faster than in 2020:

Image


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by SmallSoldier on Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier
257
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

Lucky wrote:Norris made a good start but had to correct after a snap of wheelspin while pulling past Ricciardo on the run to Tamburello, then survived a slap to the bargeboard from Stroll’s front-left tyre without damage.
https://the-race.com/formula-1/edd-stra ... er-debate/
He almost took out Daniel, some people complain about Lando’s losing places at the start, yesterday showed that it is better to lose some places and keep the car alive, it’s a long race after the first lap.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier
257
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

mwillems wrote:
Macklaren wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:03 pm
mwillems wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:52 pm
We were barely able to keep up with Verstappen (Mediums) when we were on softs after the restart, which then dropped down to an average just under second a lap difference. So on Race pace we still have some work to do, certainly on this configuration of track.
While this is an objective analysis, I don't think it is entirely fair. Lando has said that he went into tire saving mode within half a lap of the restart, knowing that tire life was going to be critical at the end. It was evident that the opporunity was with defense from behind than attack in front. More importantly, Lando was able to keep Perez behind him on same tires with identical life after their first stop, which is very encouraging. Same with Bottas at the start of the race.
But if we had a faster car we could restart on Mediums and we wouldn't have kept up with Max in those first few laps, so I don't think it would be any different. The only difference was that we tried to go for track position early as we didn't have a clear speed advantage over Ferrari at that point without the tyres.
There is still a considerable gap to the front runners on race pace, there is no denying that... But Lando not chasing after Verstappen after the restart was simply in order to protect the tires and not be a sitting duck at the end of the race.

Why the Soft Tires versus the Mediums? Not because of how fast the car is, but how much faster you can warm the Soft tires... In a track that still showed to be a very difficult one to overtake, that move on Leclerc was critical and it was mainly due to Tire delta on that lap... After that it was a matter of nursing the tires during 80% of the lap and push in the last 2 corners to make sure there was enough gap with Leclerc for the main straight.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nivedanm
Nivedanm
12
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:19 am

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

A lot of people have been criticising Ricciardo for relatively lacklustre performance. Ross Brawn's column explains how bringing the tyre up to temperature in cold conditions and then in rainy conditions has been tricky, and the drivers' ability to shine in the race depended on it. He explains how Bottas could not turn on the tyre within a short time. I guess Ricciardo's problem is similar.

He was slow all day long on saturday, but managed to get into Q3 and posted a reasonably good lap in the end, when provided the time to learn how to warn the tyres in cold weather. But in the wet race condition, he probably did not have the time to learn how to turn on the intermediates. So, I guess he would be alright in a few races.

From the article:
"In my experience, the reason for such significant differences with the same cars is nearly always down to poor tyre temperature. I don’t think it was a case of drivers losing confidence here – they just didn’t seem to have the car they wanted and didn’t generate enough tyre temperature.

Sometimes a driver is getting the tyres to work and the other not – and it looks horrible as the difference is amplified massively, even if it’s only very fine margins."

Link: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... qJe10.html

the EDGE
the EDGE
119
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:31 pm
Location: Bedfordshire ENGLAND

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

mwillems wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:30 am

Landos next contract is going to be expensive at this rate. If he does this all season then he will place himself in the very top tier of drivers.
I wonder what performance bonuses are in his current contract

Lando has won the midfield battle 4 out of the last 5 races

He has finished 4th, (10th), 5th, 4th & 3rd

With the exception of Sakhir he has only been beaten by Mercs & Redbulls

User avatar
diffuser
225
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

the EDGE wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:00 pm
mwillems wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:30 am

Landos next contract is going to be expensive at this rate. If he does this all season then he will place himself in the very top tier of drivers.
I wonder what performance bonuses are in his current contract

Lando has won the midfield battle 4 out of the last 5 races

He has finished 4th, (10th), 5th, 4th & 3rd

With the exception of Sakhir he has only been beaten by Mercs & Redbulls

Why do people get way ahead of themselves? We're on Race 2.

User avatar
diffuser
225
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

SmallSoldier wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:46 pm
mclaren111 wrote:Most positive aspect for me this weekend was how much we reduced the gap compared to last year...

Last year we were 1.2 seconds of pole...
Mclaren was the team with the largest improvement Year on Year at Portimao been not only closer to the front, but faster than in 2020:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202104 ... aecff8.jpg


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm confused...Portimao is the next race....