2021 Portuguese Grand Prix - Portimão, Apr 30 - May 02

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
maxxer

Re: 2021 Portuguese Grand Prix - Portimão, Apr 30 - May 02

seense wrote:
03 May 2021, 17:22
Why didn't Norris get a penalty for the move on Perez (leaving the track and gaining an advantage)? FIA already explained that?
The explanation is you can go wide at one corner (which they monitor) position yourself better and overtake in the next corner ....

Jaeger

seense wrote:
Why didn't Norris get a penalty for the move on Perez (leaving the track and gaining an advantage)? FIA already explained that?
Here is my second reply to this..Below is what Checo said..

He initially didn’t resist Norris’ move as Perez had believed the McLaren driver would be told to switch back for track limit violations, something he spoke to his team about, repeatedly, on the radio. “I looked at my mirrors and I thought Lando was totally off the track limit.

“Therefore, I didn’t fight the position hard enough, thinking that he was going to give me back the place,” he explained. “But I probably misjudged that one

It was all Checo's perception..Please leave it to rest...He clearly says "I thought" and "I probably misjudged that one"...

Here is the source..
https://www.racefans.net/2021/05/02/per ... th-norris/

It says it all..End of discussion..

El Scorchio

maxxer wrote:
03 May 2021, 17:21
El Scorchio wrote:
03 May 2021, 16:44
214270 wrote:
03 May 2021, 04:43
Apparently MAZ got DoD. The powers-that-be must’ve nixed that and put PER instead. Kinda defeats the purpose of a fan vote, if you’re not gonna bother to respect the results, no?

The entire thing is dumb if you ask me.
Firstly let me say I agree DOD is really dumb, but it keeps kids like my nephew entertained so I guess it’s good for engaging young viewers etc. It would have a bit of weight or meaning, maybe, if it was decided by an ex-driver each round.

But FWIW I think it was honourable to ignore the Mazepin voters. It was clearly done out of irony/spite and while he’s absolutely not covering himself in glory (and IMO isn’t ready for F1) it’s quite a nasty thing to do so I’m glad they did the right thing and omitted him from the count.
Well if we are going that way lets have a Team of the Day and a Pitstop of the day and give the winner 25k sponsored by AWS or such :)

I think Redbull did one in 1.9s ? while merc was average to long?
Well, there is a pit stop leaderboard, and I think a trophy. Seems like overkill but I guess it’s something which might mean something to the mechanics.

Red Bull are the absolute nuts at pit stops. Very impressive.

SmallSoldier

Jaeger wrote:
seense wrote:
Here is my second reply to this..Below is what Checo said..

He initially didn’t resist Norris’ move as Perez had believed the McLaren driver would be told to switch back for track limit violations, something he spoke to his team about, repeatedly, on the radio. “I looked at my mirrors and I thought Lando was totally off the track limit.

“Therefore, I didn’t fight the position hard enough, thinking that he was going to give me back the place,” he explained. “But I probably misjudged that one

It was all Checo's perception..Please leave it to rest...He clearly says "I thought" and "I probably misjudged that one"...

Here is the source..
https://www.racefans.net/2021/05/02/per ... th-norris/

It says it all..End of discussion..
In addition, track limits aren’t enforced as hard on Starts and Restarts... Norris appears to exceed track limits in T4 before the overtake, but FIA didn’t believe that there was any advantage gained from it... It is interesting though that there is no mention of it on the FIA notes about the incident.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

politburo

maxxer wrote:
03 May 2021, 15:11
politburo wrote:
03 May 2021, 10:04
maxxer wrote:
03 May 2021, 00:25

Guy was last anyway could have investigated after the race and fine the team they should have been coaching him wonder what happened on team radio
He remarked to the engineer "that "He might have screwed Checo" after Checo went past at T4, which he did since they almost made contact and he slowed Checo down there. At the end he said sorry to the race engineer after knowing about the penalty, at which point the race engineer took fault for not notifying him how close he was. Eve in the FIA document they mentioned that there was no radio. But I doubt they'll appeal since again he was last anyways and it's only 1 penalty point...
Ah see well still a shame then he gets the penalty point in the end even hamilton was close to get a ban by collection them over time.
Thanks for doing the extra research i find it sad they have to drive the car for the whole year knowing there is no development already , but it is what is i guess for them.
And Hamilton messed up blue flags also this race, his race engineer actually had to tell him he was racing Perez and that he wasn't overtaking a backmarker
Yeah, it is definitely sad for them they are going to have a tough year pace-wise - but at least they have Williams back there on some races.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

LHamilton

Don't see how Norris - Perez incident is even a discussion. The passing move was made into turn 5 and the race directors always take a dimmer view on track limits when it comes to starts and restarts due to many cars being close together. Many people exceeded track limits on the start and restarts, but none of them got their lap times deleted as far as I know.

Mazepin was the first driver to get his lap time deleted. 15:16:49 local time. I don't really know what exact lap that was. But given the amount of people who went off at the start and restart, I suspect it was some lap(s) after the restart, and not the restart lap itself.

EDIT: Mazepin's deleted lap looks indeed to be have been the lap AFTER the restart lap itself into turn one going wheel to wheel with his teammate. Restart took place on lap 7, lap deleted on lap 8.
Last edited by LHamilton on 03 May 2021, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

Mattchu

El Scorchio wrote:
03 May 2021, 18:19
They`re like a finely tuned top notch swiss watch when it comes to pit stops. I was amazed they did the last Verstappen stop so quick when a slight error could have cost them.

1.9 seconds to change all four wheels, let alone just one is completely teddy bonkers =D>

Mr5in1

Mattchu wrote:
03 May 2021, 19:27
El Scorchio wrote:
03 May 2021, 18:19
They`re like a finely tuned top notch swiss watch when it comes to pit stops. I was amazed they did the last Verstappen stop so quick when a slight error could have cost them.

1.9 seconds to change all four wheels, let alone just one is completely teddy bonkers =D>
Absolute machine of a pit team I think only Guido from Pixar's Cars is quicker

RZS10

My initial suspicion was right, GIO moved right and then left again with Kimi in his slipstream which made Kimi look like a total fool but it explains the situation a bit.
It's clearly visible in the 'best onboards' video on youtube - Kimi's reaction wasn't great (he barely even reacted) but it was partially GIO's fault imho

It's kinda silly to include Kimi's crash from different cars and cameras but not the race winning overtake ... would love to see it from Bottas' onboard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L8zgawjrXo

SiLo

RZS10 wrote:
04 May 2021, 12:50
My initial suspicion was right, GIO moved right and then left again with Kimi in his slipstream which made Kimi look like a total fool but it explains the situation a bit.
It's clearly visible in the 'best onboards' video on youtube - Kimi's reaction wasn't great (he barely even reacted) but it was partially GIO's fault imho

It's kinda silly to include Kimi's crash from different cars and cameras but not the race winning overtake ... would love to see it from Bottas' onboard
I thought exactly the same thing when it happened. Kimi just stayed straight but somehow after Gio pulled out he ran into the back of him. Gio clearly pulls left again if you look at the track markings.
Felipe Baby!

El Scorchio

SiLo wrote:
04 May 2021, 12:58
RZS10 wrote:

I thought exactly the same thing when it happened. Kimi just stayed straight but somehow after Gio pulled out he ran into the back of him. Gio clearly pulls left again if you look at the track markings.
Raikkonen said after the race it was his own fault, as he was looking at/adjusting something on his steering wheel.

SiLo

El Scorchio wrote:
04 May 2021, 13:10
SiLo wrote:
04 May 2021, 12:58
RZS10 wrote:

Raikkonen said after the race it was his own fault, as he was looking at/adjusting something on his steering wheel.
Well yes that can still be true at the same time as Gio moving back across the track after pulling out.
Felipe Baby!

atanatizante

Spacepace wrote:
02 May 2021, 18:02
atanatizante wrote:
02 May 2021, 18:00
On a side note, HAM ran in the race with the double pillar RW in contrast with BOT who ran the single pillar RW...
What's the benefit of using double pillar? Stability of crosswinds?
The different rear wing approach that helped Hamilton win:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/the- ... n/6502259/
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

PlatinumZealot

Wow! Cerebral!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

atanatizante wrote:
04 May 2021, 14:47
Spacepace wrote:
02 May 2021, 18:02
atanatizante wrote:
02 May 2021, 18:00
On a side note, HAM ran in the race with the double pillar RW in contrast with BOT who ran the single pillar RW...
What's the benefit of using double pillar? Stability of crosswinds?
The different rear wing approach that helped Hamilton win:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/the- ... n/6502259/
This article is wrong in some parts. More downforce should give you better tyre life not the other way around! Not sure how they got that wrong.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏