2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
El Scorchio

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Not a single prang or on track accident/retirement today either. Is that a first as well? (For Monaco, I mean)

And also props to Mazepin. Had a very clean weekend despite many of us wincing at the thought of seeing him in an F1 car here. Very good under blue flags too.
Last edited by El Scorchio on 23 May 2021, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

godlameroso wrote:
23 May 2021, 18:35
gshevlin wrote:
23 May 2021, 18:31
The reality is that if Liberty F1 was out looking for race venues and Monaco asked to join, the circuit would either be a lot different to what it is currently, or there would not be a race in Monaco. The track is totally unsuited to single-seater cars, and most of the drivers keep their enthusiasm for it well under control. Nelson Piquet described it as like trying to ride a bicycle in your living room, and Gerhard Berger compared it to trying to run a powerboat in a duck pond.
IDK man, Formula E was awesome, it's that the cars are too fast. The faster the car, the faster the reaction time needed. There comes a point that the cars are faster than a person can react to and re-adapt which is ~.5 sec. Bigger tracks give you more time, Monaco, there's 1 line, and your car is too fast for the human brain to adapt in such a narrow place with such narrow margins.
Cars cant follow.
F1 should ban front wings and bargeboards for monaco. That might fix the cars cant follow problem.

Almost purely ground effect and tyre grip.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

nevill3

I think that was the first Monaco without even a single yellow flag, VSC or safety car in the modern era
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

JordanMugen

Restomaniac wrote:
23 May 2021, 18:29
JordanMugen wrote:
23 May 2021, 18:27
Restomaniac wrote:
23 May 2021, 18:22
2M wide cars on that track isn’t a race it’s a procession.
2.15M wide cars were raced ere from 1973 to 1992. :)
Its been boring for that long? Oh how the time flys.
Yes. I guess ever since wide tyres were developed in the late-60's, and the teams decided to make their cars as wide as possible (then limited by the FIA to 2.15m).

I enjoyed the race overall, it was great. A solid 6/10 for excitement, but a very satisfying result.

matt_b

nevill3 wrote:
23 May 2021, 18:45
I think that was the first Monaco without even a single yellow flag, VSC or safety car in the modern era
It was and it made it even more boring, worst race of the season (1/10) and nothing in the next 18 race will top that so we move on.

Tvetovnato

WaikeCU wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:34
Just_a_fan wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:26
proteus wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:10

Well, to me all the overtakes on 1 mile straights are boring as well. Even if no particular overtaking took place today, atleast Monaco enabled more interesting development in overall standings and actually punishing Lewis for his bad performance yesterday, and putting Max back into the fight.
It's not the lack of overtaking as such. It's the lack of opportunity to overtake that makes Monaco pointless as a racing circuit. Look at Max and Lewis in 2019, for example. Max was decently quicker but just couldn't get past. That's just silly.

As for punishing a driver for a mistake in qualifying, fair enough, although I'd have thought it more interesting to see drivers fighting back from mistakes. But maybe that's just me.
It gets tiring to hear the comments about the lack of overtaking here at Monaco. 1992 Mansell was clearly faster than Senna, but even he couldn't get past Senna.

It's not really about overtaking around here. It's about running these speeds along this tight circuit for almost 2hrs of racing without binning it and being consistent every lap.
Yes, to some extent. But these days, the cars are so extremely well balanced that Monaco is easier to drive than ever before, plus, you can run around well below the limit not even close to barrier without any risk of being overtaken. So avoiding binning it is therefore not that hard.

gshevlin

If the 2022 rule changes do not improve the ability of cars to follow each other, there will be no improvement at F1 racing on street circuits. Monaco will continue to be a procession.

Schuttelberg

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
23 May 2021, 18:25
zibby43 wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:44

It’s abundantly clear that the RB was the much faster car around Monaco, given both Max’s and Perez’ pace

For some reason, some can’t understand the concept that the cars are genuinely close, and have their own strengths and weaknesses from circuit-to-circuit.
Touched a little Toto nerve there. Hamilton never got into the weekend. He generally has Bottas covered and Bottas was in Verstappen's range all along. Stop being so sensitive and just accept for once that Max is ahead based on the fact he's made no mistakes. It's not like Red Bull can't win but it seems like they're a tenth or so behind at the moment with worse management.
Your boy Vettel came good today. Flashes of the old Sebastian.
Meh. I'd be happier if it was more consistent. I do believe though that some of the OTT criticism of Ricciardo, Alonso, Vettel and Sainz is just low. The midfield is so tight that you could be 7th or 15th.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

godlameroso

PlatinumZealot wrote:
23 May 2021, 18:44
godlameroso wrote:
23 May 2021, 18:35
gshevlin wrote:
The reality is that if Liberty F1 was out looking for race venues and Monaco asked to join, the circuit would either be a lot different to what it is currently, or there would not be a race in Monaco. The track is totally unsuited to single-seater cars, and most of the drivers keep their enthusiasm for it well under control. Nelson Piquet described it as like trying to ride a bicycle in your living room, and Gerhard Berger compared it to trying to run a powerboat in a duck pond.
IDK man, Formula E was awesome, it's that the cars are too fast. The faster the car, the faster the reaction time needed. There comes a point that the cars are faster than a person can react to and re-adapt which is ~.5 sec. Bigger tracks give you more time, Monaco, there's 1 line, and your car is too fast for the human brain to adapt in such a narrow place with such narrow margins.
Cars cant follow.
F1 should ban front wings and bargeboards for monaco. That might fix the cars cant follow problem.

That's jumping to conclusions, I remain it's the speed of the cars and the track being too narrow, and there's no possibility for additional lines. I hope to be proven right when we go race in Australia later this year, the new track modifications are centered around helping cars follow and using different lines.
Saishū kōnā

SmallSoldier

Restomaniac wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:46
Restomaniac wrote:No we don’t it’s nothing but a snore fest. It’s the only race I don’t watch until the end because it sends me to sleep.
Luckily for you, you have 22 other races to enjoy :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Why can’t we have 23?

That snoozefest in on the Calendar for $$$$$$$$ it’s certainly not for racing ideals.
It has not bothered for the last couple of decades where it has been exactly the same situation... Doesn’t bother me nowadays either.

Is it a procession? Yes... Is the “race”
Boring? Yes... Does it bring something different to the calendar? Yes!

Toughest track for the driver’s and teams... Usually a surprise or 2... Best qualifying session of the year and a historic event... I can live with it... For those that can’t, there are other 22 races in the calendar to enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier

godlameroso wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:No we don’t it’s nothing but a snore fest. It’s the only race I don’t watch until the end because it sends me to sleep.

I meant throughout the season... Not how many left we had ;)

Schuttelberg

Let's just assume it was all Mercedes but I think Lewis needs to be a bit more respectful towards his team. They've given him a mega car for 8 seasons.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

PlatinumZealot

godlameroso wrote:
23 May 2021, 19:26
PlatinumZealot wrote:
23 May 2021, 18:44

Cars cant follow.

That's jumping to conclusions, I remain it's the speed of the cars and the track being too narrow, and there's no possibility for additional lines. I hope to be proven right when we go race in Australia later this year, the new track modifications are centered around helping cars follow and using different lines.
Hold up. Did you read what I said? :?: it solves all that.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

TimW

SmallSoldier wrote:
23 May 2021, 19:26
Restomaniac wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Why can’t we have 23?

That snoozefest in on the Calendar for $$$$$$$$ it’s certainly not for racing ideals.
It has not bothered for the last couple of decades where it has been exactly the same situation... Doesn’t bother me nowadays either.

Is it a procession? Yes... Is the “race”
Boring? Yes... Does it bring something different to the calendar? Yes!

Toughest track for the driver’s and teams... Usually a surprise or 2... Best qualifying session of the year and a historic event... I can live with it... For those that can’t, there are other 22 races in the calendar to enjoy

I feel exactly the same about Monaco, I love the fact that it is so different than the other gp's, qualifying is great, the race is just about getting things right and collecting the points earned in qualifying.

TimW

Schuttelberg wrote:
23 May 2021, 19:32

Let's just assume it was all Mercedes but I think Lewis needs to be a bit more respectful towards his team. They've given him a mega car for 8 seasons.
[troll mode] 8? They surely messed up the 2016 season for him....[/troll mode off]