2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Schuttelberg

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Diesel wrote:
24 May 2021, 14:14
Schuttelberg wrote:
24 May 2021, 09:15
The journalist isn't creating any drama. May be you need to view it with more balance. When asked if there were any learnings he clearly says they're all for the team and none for him.

Let's just say that the team did ask him to go a certain route with set up, then one has to say that over the past eight years Mercedes must have done that often? How often have they been right and got Lewis a win?

You win and lose as a team. In his case, it's often this narrative that when they win it's a team effort but when they lose its just the team. It doesn't work like that. He could have won in Imola had he not put it in the kitty litter. He could have qualified better here like his team mate showed. Also, while Max is 23 and much much more raw, he conducted himself very well with Charles being in the wall. I can show you how Lewis has reacted at the same venue when he couldn't complete a lap against his championship rival?

Some people cannot accept losing and that is fine. The issue at hand is the choice of convenience where all great things are mostly down to him but he isn't to blame when it goes pear shaped. For a seven times world champion to say that about a team that has given him a championship winning car every year bar one is pretty low and shallow as far as I am concerned.
I've watched all of the interviews for balance, and overall his tone is that as a team they didn't perform this weekend, and he is quite clearly including his own performance in that statement. The "questions" from Dutch TV are obviously trying to provoke a response and they are absolutely about drama, that's what they want as it makes for good TV. The first few questions aren't even questions, just statements about how bad Hamilton's weekend has been, if that's not creating drama what is? They were trying to ruffle his feathers, and they succeeded it seems.

But hey, if you want to take some fairly short answers he provided in response to an interview from Dutch TV (the nationality of his rival) which was clearly intended to provoke a response from him and turn it in to a narrative of "not a team player", go for it :wtf:

I would say Lewis certainly got a taste of his own medicine, he was making some fairly silly comments in the media during the weekend clearly trying to play some mind games with Max. After having a disaster of a weekend, very quickly it's all turned back on him.
His answers are very short in general on some weekends when he's off. I completely get Lewis being unable to take losing. I am like that in life as well. But, I stick to my guns about him being needlessly critical of the team that has done a lot for him. And if one media house "of his rival" is getting under his skin, Lewis has had an army on his side with multiple houses of his nationality hounding all his rivals for 15 years. I don't think there's anything to it with all this nationality stuff. It was just Lewis on his customary weekends where he feels everything in the world is against him. Most of it as you say is his doing. Not the first time he's gone about passing trivial remarks about a rival.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Schuttelberg

Artur Craft wrote:
24 May 2021, 14:54
Schuttelberg wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:37
Two poor races from Hamilton in five. It's fair to say that Verstappen is leading the championship in an inferior car. But, expect the narrative to remain that Mercedes is slower!
Yeah, you´re smart. This narrative is never ending....

Still, I´m scratching my head to Ricciardo´s speed in the Mclaren. I thought he would immediately show up Norris, as Sainz did.

Did not expect Alonso to struggle against Ocon either, regardless of his age and time away of F1.

Tsunoda is also performing way worse than I expected at this point, which is sad.

The only new driver to a team/rookie that is impressing me and showing great speed is Mick, which is surprising to me because I didn´t expect much from him, especially on his first year
For mine, I think everyone is being really unfair on all the guys that have joined new teams. This is F1 and this is the best grid I can remember in my 25 odd years of watching. To add to this, all the guys who have jumped teams are in the midfield where it's easy to be top 10 or floundering around in 15th or 16th.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

El Scorchio

As they say. ‘Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser.’

aMessageToCharlie

Macklaren wrote:
24 May 2021, 19:13
aMessageToCharlie wrote:
24 May 2021, 19:03
So is there any evidence for the claims in here that the team went against Hamilton's will/advice with the setup?

Afaik they made some major changes to Bottas' car before qualy, which seems to have worked well for him. Would be interesting to hear what changes they made to each car.
Well Toto said after qualifying that Hamilton wanted to prepare the tires in a certain way and the team overruled him. Still unclear (at the time) whether Hamilton's way would have helped or not but the team's approach did not work clearly
Ah, I see. I do recall Ferrari and RB doing two warm up laps each before their flyers and Merc going at it straight after the outlap I think.

This seems like a pretty straight forward thing to figure out during practice though.

PlatinumZealot

Stu wrote:
24 May 2021, 19:28
Macklaren wrote:
24 May 2021, 19:13
aMessageToCharlie wrote:
24 May 2021, 19:03
So is there any evidence for the claims in here that the team went against Hamilton's will/advice with the setup?

Afaik they made some major changes to Bottas' car before qualy, which seems to have worked well for him. Would be interesting to hear what changes they made to each car.
Well Toto said after qualifying that Hamilton wanted to prepare the tires in a certain way and the team overruled him. Still unclear (at the time) whether Hamilton's way would have helped or not but the team's approach did not work clearly
Are Mercedes now worried about Singapore (another track where they have experienced tyre management issues in the past)?
Singpore is longer so they should get decent tyre warm-up. The issue they had in the past was tyres getting too hot (uneven heating). They used to be very weak at hot tracks as well.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Schuttelberg wrote:
24 May 2021, 20:36
Diesel wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
24 May 2021, 09:15
The journalist isn't creating any drama. May be you need to view it with more balance. When asked if there were any learnings he clearly says they're all for the team and none for him.

Let's just say that the team did ask him to go a certain route with set up, then one has to say that over the past eight years Mercedes must have done that often? How often have they been right and got Lewis a win?

You win and lose as a team. In his case, it's often this narrative that when they win it's a team effort but when they lose its just the team. It doesn't work like that. He could have won in Imola had he not put it in the kitty litter. He could have qualified better here like his team mate showed. Also, while Max is 23 and much much more raw, he conducted himself very well with Charles being in the wall. I can show you how Lewis has reacted at the same venue when he couldn't complete a lap against his championship rival?

Some people cannot accept losing and that is fine. The issue at hand is the choice of convenience where all great things are mostly down to him but he isn't to blame when it goes pear shaped. For a seven times world champion to say that about a team that has given him a championship winning car every year bar one is pretty low and shallow as far as I am concerned.
I've watched all of the interviews for balance, and overall his tone is that as a team they didn't perform this weekend, and he is quite clearly including his own performance in that statement. The "questions" from Dutch TV are obviously trying to provoke a response and they are absolutely about drama, that's what they want as it makes for good TV. The first few questions aren't even questions, just statements about how bad Hamilton's weekend has been, if that's not creating drama what is? They were trying to ruffle his feathers, and they succeeded it seems.

But hey, if you want to take some fairly short answers he provided in response to an interview from Dutch TV (the nationality of his rival) which was clearly intended to provoke a response from him and turn it in to a narrative of "not a team player", go for it :wtf:

I would say Lewis certainly got a taste of his own medicine, he was making some fairly silly comments in the media during the weekend clearly trying to play some mind games with Max. After having a disaster of a weekend, very quickly it's all turned back on him.
His answers are very short in general on some weekends when he's off. I completely get Lewis being unable to take losing. I am like that in life as well. But, I stick to my guns about him being needlessly critical of the team that has done a lot for him. And if one media house "of his rival" is getting under his skin, Lewis has had an army on his side with multiple houses of his nationality hounding all his rivals for 15 years. I don't think there's anything to it with all this nationality stuff. It was just Lewis on his customary weekends where he feels everything in the world is against him. Most of it as you say is his doing. Not the first time he's gone about passing trivial remarks about a rival.
No other driver praises their team like Lewis. No other.
Funny coming from a Vettel fan. Even Charley Whiting was not spared in the tantrums Vettel used to have.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

JordanMugen

Stu wrote:
24 May 2021, 19:26
JordanMugen wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:05
jknights wrote:
23 May 2021, 16:53
Or maybe completely remove aero from the cars so they can overtake.
I started a thread about the merits of making F1 into 1000hp Formula Fords in the technical section. :)

Formula Ford's regulations to prohibit aerofoils and downforce-generating surfaces seem to work quite effectively, and most races have excellent slipstreaming battles.

The consensus was they would be at least 20 seconds per lap slower or so, IIRC.
The really beautiful thing about the original FF regs was the caveat “if it doesn’t say that you can do it, then you cannot do it” that phrase saves several hundred pages of regulations!! 😂😂
=D>

V8 Supercar regulations also have that clause.

aMessageToCharlie

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 May 2021, 21:35
Schuttelberg wrote:
Diesel wrote:

Funny coming from a Vettel fan. Even Charley Whiting was not spared in the tantrums Vettel used to have.
Easy to do when your team are almost flawless, gifting you world championships and records for 7 years straight.

Imagine the drama if he drove for Ferrari.
Ferrari screwed up so many times and Vettel was always protecting the team up until the very end when they completely screwed him over with the contract negotiation.

Juding from Lewis' temper tantrums, that would have completely escalated. Remember when he posted McLaren telemetry data on twitter when he felt the team was treating Button better than him?

Not to mention the calling stewards racists incident for penalizing him.

NathanOlder

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
24 May 2021, 22:57
PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 May 2021, 21:35
Schuttelberg wrote:

Easy to do when your team are almost flawless, gifting you world championships and records for 7 years straight.

Ferrari screwed up so many times and Vettel was always protecting the team up until the very end when they completely screwed him over with the contract negotiation.

Juding from Lewis' temper tantrums, that would have completely escalated. Remember when he posted McLaren telemetry data on twitter when he felt the team was treating Button better than him?

Love how Mercedes have been gifting him world championships. Must have been so so easy with all these gifts #-o
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Ringleheim

One of the more boring runnings of the Monaco GP, and that's saying a lot.

The most significant event of the race didn't even occur during the race ! It occurred before when LeClerc's Ferrari broke.

Extremely uneventful rendition of this race!

Sieper

Ringleheim wrote:
24 May 2021, 23:30
One of the more boring runnings of the Monaco GP, and that's saying a lot.

The most significant event of the race didn't even occur during the race ! It occurred before when LeClerc's Ferrari broke.

Extremely uneventful rendition of this race!
True, that happened on Saturday, the moment his Ferrari Broke. It has always been said about Monaco. It’s the Saturday that counts.

Just_a_fan

aMessageToCharlie wrote:

And yet still he doesn't deliberately crash in to other drivers, or park his car so as to ruin qualifying, or threaten the team boss with blackmail. He just says a few things in public now and then that no one takes seriously. Yikes! Such a terrible person.

:lol: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

dans79

Just_a_fan wrote:
24 May 2021, 23:40
aMessageToCharlie wrote:

And yet still he doesn't deliberately crash in to other drivers, or park his car so as to ruin qualifying, or threaten the team boss with blackmail. He just says a few things in public now and then that no one takes seriously. Yikes! Such a terrible person.

He's also not spewing out expletives every other word over the radio when something doesn't go his way....
197 104 103 7

NathanOlder

dans79 wrote:
24 May 2021, 23:53
Just_a_fan wrote:
24 May 2021, 23:40
aMessageToCharlie wrote:

He's also not spewing out expletives every other word over the radio when something doesn't go his way....
And according to Brawn & Newey, Frank Williams (later 2 never shared a team with Lewis) he's one of the nicest drivers on the grid and will always give you time in the day for a friendly chat.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

nzjrs

Oh yay another one of these threads.