2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sieper

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Not by luck. Come on. But PZ usually likeable imho, shows a bit of entitlement here. Well, it is for his account, he is just a big fan. As am I, of someone else.

PlatinumZealot

sosic2121 wrote:
26 May 2021, 20:01
PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 May 2021, 13:18
That's formula 1. The greats deserve the best cars. In feudal Japan only the best swords found the best samurai. Imagine a weak Samurai with a great sword? That sword would be snatched from him in no time! This is also why Lewis' long tenure of 9 years in that Mercedes seat, like a king holding his throne, is also a testament to greatness. George, Carlos, Leclerc, Lando and Max can only dream of ever displacing Lewis there. Lewis has to either become senile (in driving terms) or retire from the seat. The team loves him and want him there.
He's in a dominate car by pure luck and because Dietrich awarded Webber with on more year
:D
Interesting comment there.

I have some interesting findings i want to share:

Pure (dumb) luck
Mercedes handpicking him because of marketing reasons.
Hamilton jumped ship for more money.
Hamilton knew the car was going to be dominant for years to come.

These are some of the less flattering reasons given by different posters explaining how Hamilton ended up in Merc. They dont have a unifying voice at all.

In my view I dont think it matters at all becuase it wasn't as if he was forced out of McLaren because he couldn't perform. He left because McLaren was a shambles at the time and Mercedes had a sensible team lead by Ross Brawn.

But anyway this is off topic.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

sosic2121

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 May 2021, 23:05
sosic2121 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 May 2021, 13:18
That's formula 1. The greats deserve the best cars. In feudal Japan only the best swords found the best samurai. Imagine a weak Samurai with a great sword? That sword would be snatched from him in no time! This is also why Lewis' long tenure of 9 years in that Mercedes seat, like a king holding his throne, is also a testament to greatness. George, Carlos, Leclerc, Lando and Max can only dream of ever displacing Lewis there. Lewis has to either become senile (in driving terms) or retire from the seat. The team loves him and want him there.
He's in a dominate car by pure luck and because Dietrich awarded Webber with on more year

Pure (dumb) luck

These are some of the less flattering reasons given by different posters explaining how Hamilton ended up in Merc. They dont have a unifying voice at all.

In my view I dont think it matters at all becuase it wasn't as if he was forced out of McLaren because he couldn't perform. He left because McLaren was a shambles at the time and Mercedes had a sensible team lead by Ross Brawn.

OK, I'm not necessarily contradicting you, but, AFAIK he was going to RB(pretty logical back then) but
Dietrich Mateschitz blocked that move because of Webber.

NathanOlder

sosic2121 wrote:
27 May 2021, 07:55
PlatinumZealot wrote:
sosic2121 wrote:

Pure (dumb) luck

OK, I'm not necessarily contradicting you, but, AFAIK he was going to RB(pretty logical back then) but
Thats interesting, Iv'e not heard that before. So Lewis was happy to leave his home at Mclaren to join RedBull next to the guy who just won 3 (at the time) back to back titles and was being praised as the next Schumacher and best of his generation! And some people will still say Lewis never wants a strong team mate and wont let a good driver sit in the car next to him, but this story is saying he is happy to go to someone elses team and take on the best of the best .
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Big Tea

sosic2121 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
sosic2121 wrote:

Pure (dumb) luck

I believe much of Hamilton's move was dur to Haug, who was 'with' the Merc engine at Mclaren and Niki, who Hamilton had huge respect for all went there
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

e30ernest

So I don't know where this goes, but I did not know that Lewis and Nico seem to be friends again?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... board.html

I believe this was in Monaco.

sosic2121

NathanOlder wrote:
27 May 2021, 08:53
sosic2121 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Pure (dumb) luck

Thats interesting, Iv'e not heard that before. So Lewis was happy to leave his home at Mclaren to join RedBull next to the guy who just won 3 (at the time) back to back titles and was being praised as the next Schumacher and best of his generation! And some people will still say Lewis never wants a strong team mate and wont let a good driver sit in the car next to him, but this story is saying he is happy to go to someone elses team and take on the best of the best .
Of course he thought Seb beat him because he had better car, and if he could get in the same car he would have shot at WDC too.
I think it would be hard to find driver not wanting to drive Mercedes right now. Even Bottas is not wanting to go back to Williams :lol:

JRindt

Manoah2u wrote:
26 May 2021, 14:34
On a total different note,

the immediate post-race podium interview with Coulthard was interesting for me in regards to mental battles.

Sainz did a masterclass of psychological warfare on Norris. Not only did he finish P2 in front of Norris, but he also delibaretely crashed his live interview.
He did it in a tongue in cheek manner but Norris' body language showed he was absolutely not enjoying that and became visually annoyed, to which Sainz threw a few extra on him.
Even though it is a bit of 'innocent' banter, imho they were some 'blows' by Carlos to Lando. "for once i'm happy to share for you".
Dude… are you by any chance the director of Drive to Survive? :lol:

That post race interview crashing with Lando is nothing out of ordinary. These two crash each other’s interviews quite often, and with both of them on the podium, I was kinda expecting that. It’s like that friend who shifted to a different class, but is still friends with you.

Manoah2u wrote:
26 May 2021, 15:37
….I don't know when he lapped Daniel what that gesture meant. It looks to me like a bit of a low 'below the belt' d*ck move.

Manoah2u

thanks!
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Sieper

Sad to see. You can already see that in his mind he decides to now stop thanking people. This is as you grow older, you bump your nose and you just loose spontaneity, because of what people might search behind your actions, not what they mean.

PlatinumZealot

So Max has joined the group of drivers that win in Monaco. Might be a world champion one day this Verstappen fella.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

RedBull had better tyre life in Monaco. Basically even if HAM and BOT started 3rd and 4th the Bulls would have still won. Just take it as a damage limitation race for Merc which they failed to limit the damage.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-ham ... on-monaco/
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

SirBastianVettel

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 May 2021, 18:26
RedBull had better tyre life in Monaco. Basically even if HAM and BOT started 3rd and 4th the Bulls would have still won. Just take it as a damage limitation race for Merc which they failed to limit the damage.

This was indeed very interesting and a big surprise considering we saw the opposite in all previous races, I’m surprised this isn’t talked about more.

If Ref Bull manages to preserve its tires better in Baku they might have a chance against Mercedes in the race, because with that long straight they don’t have a fighting chance against them otherwise.

Just_a_fan

SirBastianVettel wrote:
27 May 2021, 19:49
PlatinumZealot wrote:

This was indeed very interesting and a big surprise considering we saw the opposite in all previous races, I’m surprised this isn’t talked about more.

If Ref Bull manages to preserve its tires better in Baku they might have a chance against Mercedes in the race, because with that long straight they don’t have a fighting chance against them otherwise.
Er, you have seen the whole rear wing debacle haven't you? Red Bull's rear wing might give them the ability to run plenty of wing and have a high top speed. In that case, Red Bull will be at the front.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

sosic2121

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 May 2021, 21:49
SirBastianVettel wrote:
27 May 2021, 19:49
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Er, you have seen the whole rear wing debacle haven't you? Red Bull's rear wing might give them the ability to run plenty of wing and have a high top speed. In that case, Red Bull will be at the front.
That wing is so mighty! Merc's only chance might be to bring back that Spa '17 engine.