2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
User avatar
Sieper
154
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:19 pm

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

Not by luck. Come on. But PZ usually likeable imho, shows a bit of entitlement here. Well, it is for his account, he is just a big fan. As am I, of someone else.
Just a personal interest, a Family recreating a WW2 May 1940 Dutch warbird from scratch: https://www.facebook.com/FlyingFokkerD21/

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
529
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

sosic2121 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 7:01 pm
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:18 pm
That's formula 1. The greats deserve the best cars. In feudal Japan only the best swords found the best samurai. Imagine a weak Samurai with a great sword? That sword would be snatched from him in no time! This is also why Lewis' long tenure of 9 years in that Mercedes seat, like a king holding his throne, is also a testament to greatness. George, Carlos, Leclerc, Lando and Max can only dream of ever displacing Lewis there. Lewis has to either become senile (in driving terms) or retire from the seat. The team loves him and want him there.
He's in a dominate car by pure luck and because Dietrich awarded Webber with on more year
:D
Interesting comment there.

I have some interesting findings i want to share:

Pure (dumb) luck
Mercedes handpicking him because of marketing reasons.
Hamilton jumped ship for more money.
Hamilton knew the car was going to be dominant for years to come.

These are some of the less flattering reasons given by different posters explaining how Hamilton ended up in Merc. They dont have a unifying voice at all.

In my view I dont think it matters at all becuase it wasn't as if he was forced out of McLaren because he couldn't perform. He left because McLaren was a shambles at the time and Mercedes had a sensible team lead by Ross Brawn.

But anyway this is off topic.
. . . . . .. .... ..

sosic2121
sosic2121
17
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:14 am

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 10:05 pm
sosic2121 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 7:01 pm
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:18 pm
That's formula 1. The greats deserve the best cars. In feudal Japan only the best swords found the best samurai. Imagine a weak Samurai with a great sword? That sword would be snatched from him in no time! This is also why Lewis' long tenure of 9 years in that Mercedes seat, like a king holding his throne, is also a testament to greatness. George, Carlos, Leclerc, Lando and Max can only dream of ever displacing Lewis there. Lewis has to either become senile (in driving terms) or retire from the seat. The team loves him and want him there.
He's in a dominate car by pure luck and because Dietrich awarded Webber with on more year
:D
Interesting comment there.

I have some interesting findings i want to share:

Pure (dumb) luck
Mercedes handpicking him because of marketing reasons.
Hamilton jumped ship for more money.
Hamilton knew the car was going to be dominant for years to come.

These are some of the less flattering reasons given by different posters explaining how Hamilton ended up in Merc. They dont have a unifying voice at all.

In my view I dont think it matters at all becuase it wasn't as if he was forced out of McLaren because he couldn't perform. He left because McLaren was a shambles at the time and Mercedes had a sensible team lead by Ross Brawn.

But anyway this is off topic.
OK, I'm not necessarily contradicting you, but, AFAIK he was going to RB(pretty logical back then) but
Dietrich Mateschitz blocked that move because of Webber.

User avatar
NathanOlder
166
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 am
Location: Kent

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

sosic2121 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 6:55 am
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 10:05 pm
sosic2121 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 7:01 pm

He's in a dominate car by pure luck and because Dietrich awarded Webber with on more year
:D
Interesting comment there.

I have some interesting findings i want to share:

Pure (dumb) luck
Mercedes handpicking him because of marketing reasons.
Hamilton jumped ship for more money.
Hamilton knew the car was going to be dominant for years to come.

These are some of the less flattering reasons given by different posters explaining how Hamilton ended up in Merc. They dont have a unifying voice at all.

In my view I dont think it matters at all becuase it wasn't as if he was forced out of McLaren because he couldn't perform. He left because McLaren was a shambles at the time and Mercedes had a sensible team lead by Ross Brawn.

But anyway this is off topic.
OK, I'm not necessarily contradicting you, but, AFAIK he was going to RB(pretty logical back then) but
Dietrich Mateschitz blocked that move because of Webber.
Thats interesting, Iv'e not heard that before. So Lewis was happy to leave his home at Mclaren to join RedBull next to the guy who just won 3 (at the time) back to back titles and was being praised as the next Schumacher and best of his generation! And some people will still say Lewis never wants a strong team mate and wont let a good driver sit in the car next to him, but this story is saying he is happy to go to someone elses team and take on the best of the best .
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

User avatar
Big Tea
165
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

sosic2121 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 6:55 am
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 10:05 pm
sosic2121 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 7:01 pm

He's in a dominate car by pure luck and because Dietrich awarded Webber with on more year
:D
Interesting comment there.

I have some interesting findings i want to share:

Pure (dumb) luck
Mercedes handpicking him because of marketing reasons.
Hamilton jumped ship for more money.
Hamilton knew the car was going to be dominant for years to come.

These are some of the less flattering reasons given by different posters explaining how Hamilton ended up in Merc. They dont have a unifying voice at all.

In my view I dont think it matters at all becuase it wasn't as if he was forced out of McLaren because he couldn't perform. He left because McLaren was a shambles at the time and Mercedes had a sensible team lead by Ross Brawn.

But anyway this is off topic.
OK, I'm not necessarily contradicting you, but, AFAIK he was going to RB(pretty logical back then) but
Dietrich Mateschitz blocked that move because of Webber.
I believe much of Hamilton's move was dur to Haug, who was 'with' the Merc engine at Mclaren and Niki, who Hamilton had huge respect for all went there
I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it-
Voltaire, or several other claimants.

e30ernest
e30ernest
32
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:47 am

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

So I don't know where this goes, but I did not know that Lewis and Nico seem to be friends again?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... board.html

I believe this was in Monaco.

sosic2121
sosic2121
17
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:14 am

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

NathanOlder wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 7:53 am
sosic2121 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 6:55 am
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 10:05 pm


:D
Interesting comment there.

I have some interesting findings i want to share:

Pure (dumb) luck
Mercedes handpicking him because of marketing reasons.
Hamilton jumped ship for more money.
Hamilton knew the car was going to be dominant for years to come.

These are some of the less flattering reasons given by different posters explaining how Hamilton ended up in Merc. They dont have a unifying voice at all.

In my view I dont think it matters at all becuase it wasn't as if he was forced out of McLaren because he couldn't perform. He left because McLaren was a shambles at the time and Mercedes had a sensible team lead by Ross Brawn.

But anyway this is off topic.
OK, I'm not necessarily contradicting you, but, AFAIK he was going to RB(pretty logical back then) but
Dietrich Mateschitz blocked that move because of Webber.
Thats interesting, Iv'e not heard that before. So Lewis was happy to leave his home at Mclaren to join RedBull next to the guy who just won 3 (at the time) back to back titles and was being praised as the next Schumacher and best of his generation! And some people will still say Lewis never wants a strong team mate and wont let a good driver sit in the car next to him, but this story is saying he is happy to go to someone elses team and take on the best of the best .
Of course he thought Seb beat him because he had better car, and if he could get in the same car he would have shot at WDC too.
I think it would be hard to find driver not wanting to drive Mercedes right now. Even Bottas is not wanting to go back to Williams :lol:

User avatar
JRindt
13
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:16 pm

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

Manoah2u wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 1:34 pm
On a total different note,

the immediate post-race podium interview with Coulthard was interesting for me in regards to mental battles.

Sainz did a masterclass of psychological warfare on Norris. Not only did he finish P2 in front of Norris, but he also delibaretely crashed his live interview.
He did it in a tongue in cheek manner but Norris' body language showed he was absolutely not enjoying that and became visually annoyed, to which Sainz threw a few extra on him.
Even though it is a bit of 'innocent' banter, imho they were some 'blows' by Carlos to Lando. "for once i'm happy to share for you".
Dude… are you by any chance the director of Drive to Survive? :lol:

That post race interview crashing with Lando is nothing out of ordinary. These two crash each other’s interviews quite often, and with both of them on the podium, I was kinda expecting that. It’s like that friend who shifted to a different class, but is still friends with you.

Manoah2u wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 2:37 pm
….I don't know when he lapped Daniel what that gesture meant. It looks to me like a bit of a low 'below the belt' d*ck move.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u
426
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

thanks!
Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools.

User avatar
Sieper
154
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:19 pm

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

Sad to see. You can already see that in his mind he decides to now stop thanking people. This is as you grow older, you bump your nose and you just loose spontaneity, because of what people might search behind your actions, not what they mean.
Just a personal interest, a Family recreating a WW2 May 1940 Dutch warbird from scratch: https://www.facebook.com/FlyingFokkerD21/

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
529
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

So Max has joined the group of drivers that win in Monaco. Might be a world champion one day this Verstappen fella.
. . . . . .. .... ..

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
529
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

RedBull had better tyre life in Monaco. Basically even if HAM and BOT started 3rd and 4th the Bulls would have still won. Just take it as a damage limitation race for Merc which they failed to limit the damage.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-ham ... on-monaco/
. . . . . .. .... ..

SirBastianVettel
SirBastianVettel
5
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:54 am

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 5:26 pm
RedBull had better tyre life in Monaco. Basically even if HAM and BOT started 3rd and 4th the Bulls would have still won. Just take it as a damage limitation race for Merc which they failed to limit the damage.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-ham ... on-monaco/
This was indeed very interesting and a big surprise considering we saw the opposite in all previous races, I’m surprised this isn’t talked about more.

If Ref Bull manages to preserve its tires better in Baku they might have a chance against Mercedes in the race, because with that long straight they don’t have a fighting chance against them otherwise.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan
782
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

SirBastianVettel wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 6:49 pm
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 5:26 pm
RedBull had better tyre life in Monaco. Basically even if HAM and BOT started 3rd and 4th the Bulls would have still won. Just take it as a damage limitation race for Merc which they failed to limit the damage.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-ham ... on-monaco/
This was indeed very interesting and a big surprise considering we saw the opposite in all previous races, I’m surprised this isn’t talked about more.

If Ref Bull manages to preserve its tires better in Baku they might have a chance against Mercedes in the race, because with that long straight they don’t have a fighting chance against them otherwise.
Er, you have seen the whole rear wing debacle haven't you? Red Bull's rear wing might give them the ability to run plenty of wing and have a high top speed. In that case, Red Bull will be at the front.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

sosic2121
sosic2121
17
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:14 am

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

Just_a_fan wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 8:49 pm
SirBastianVettel wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 6:49 pm
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 5:26 pm
RedBull had better tyre life in Monaco. Basically even if HAM and BOT started 3rd and 4th the Bulls would have still won. Just take it as a damage limitation race for Merc which they failed to limit the damage.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-ham ... on-monaco/
This was indeed very interesting and a big surprise considering we saw the opposite in all previous races, I’m surprised this isn’t talked about more.

If Ref Bull manages to preserve its tires better in Baku they might have a chance against Mercedes in the race, because with that long straight they don’t have a fighting chance against them otherwise.
Er, you have seen the whole rear wing debacle haven't you? Red Bull's rear wing might give them the ability to run plenty of wing and have a high top speed. In that case, Red Bull will be at the front.
That wing is so mighty! Merc's only chance might be to bring back that Spa '17 engine.