2021 Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LM10

Re: 2021 Ferrari F1 Team

codetower wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 17:41
wowgr8 wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 16:21
https://the-race.com/formula-1/key-deta ... -revealed/

KEY DETAILS OF FERRARI’S AMBITIOUS 2022 F1 ENGINE REVEALED

Although Ferrari has looked very closely at the split turbo concept – whereby the compressor is mounted at the front of the engine and the turbine further back, linked by a shaft running through the vee of the engine – it has decided not to follow that philosophy for the new engine.

The innovations are understood to include the intercooler solution and significant gains are believed to have been found in the energy recovery’s electrical system but the real innovation may be in the combustion technology.

[...]

Although the architecture will remain ‘conventional’ in terms of the turbo’s layout, the intercooler and other changes are understood to allow for a significantly more compact package than the current unit.

[...]

With Alpine having unofficially confirmed that Renault will switch to a split turbo for its 2022 engine, that leaves only Ferrari in the combined turbine/compressor camp.
Is there an advantage to going split turbo vs combined or is it just "another way of doing things"? I sure hope Ferrari aren't falling further behind the pack by sticking to the combined turbine/compressor approach. It will be interesting to see if it pays off to go against the norm. I sure hope it works...
As far as I know there is only a packaging advantage the split turbo has over the other one.
According to the article Ferrari is going for a radical change, seeking for both significant power and packaging improvements - without going the split turbo route.
Just because all others do it does not mean that it’s the only or the best possible way. Want an example for that? Mercedes has been the only low rake car in many years.

mika vs michael

I think in the 2014 only Mercedes had the split turbo and that confifuration creates so many vibrations that only Mercedes were able to master...
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

amr
amr

Apart from the packaging aspect, I guess having the compressor(intake) part away from the turbine(exhaust) part could lead to a lower temperature after compression which could be translated into a smaller intercooler or more air being feed to the engine.

wowgr8

Fantastic juicy reliable info as always from these guys, I recommend reading the article in full

https://www.formu1a.uno/power-unit-ferr ... 022-turbo/

Ferrari Power Unit, working to unlock reliability and improve ERS. While for 2022 ...

As already written on these pages, the gap that the Italian PU pays from the most performing, Mercedes, increases in the race compared to the 'only' 15 HP of qualifying

[...]

Returning to Ferrari, in Maranello they are working to bring a more performing PU 3, currently planned between Budapest, where Ferrari thinks it will be quite competitive, and the first GPs on their return from the summer break.

[...]

There are some aspects of reliability that need to be improved both to unlock a further (small) increase in power - in particular on ERS (also in view of 2022) - and for operating temperatures that do not allow the use of an optimal engine cover configuration. and much more efficient (in Baku it would have been very convenient), as Mercedes and Honda powered cars can do.

[...]

For this Ferrari has ready some aerodynamic updates that will be brought to the track in the next rounds, between Paul Ricard and the Austrian events on the SF21, aimed at improving efficiency at medium - high speeds.

Meanwhile, important work is underway in Maranello on the 2022 power unit which is offering 'encouraging' signals. The architecture has been defined for just over a month: there will be innovations in the layout while keeping the turbocharger united.
Lots and lots more info in the full article, which again I recommend reading

wowgr8

The part about introducing the 3rd PU sticks out to me. Mercedes and Ferrari brought the second PU to the 6th race, the first PU only did 5 races in what's meant to be a 20, 21 race season, isn't that odd? Bringing the 3rd PU to Budapest would mean the 3rd unit would have to do 12 races with the calendar as is, with the first two units having done 5 races each

JPower

wowgr8 wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 15:55
The part about introducing the 3rd PU sticks out to me. Mercedes and Ferrari brought the second PU to the 6th race, the first PU only did 5 races in what's meant to be a 20, 21 race season, isn't that odd? Bringing the 3rd PU to Budapest would mean the 3rd unit would have to do 12 races with the calendar as is, with the first two units having done 5 races each
They'll use the previous one for FP to keep miles off the new one.

Xwang

Moreover they can use old units in less demanding circuits.

wowgr8

JPower wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 16:41

I get that but 5 races for PU 1 & 2 then 12 for PU 3? Makes more sense to give each PU 7 races like in 2019

Big Tea

wowgr8 wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 17:54
JPower wrote:

I get that but 5 races for PU 1 & 2 then 12 for PU 3? Makes more sense to give each PU 7 races like in 2019
This engine has been used for everything. In future races this engine will be used pre race, and the now one 'kept for best', so much less miles per race
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

codetower

wowgr8 wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 17:54
JPower wrote:

I think the reason they are doing this is because they want to test certain "theories" for next years PU. If they wait too late in the season, they may not be able to adjust if they need to.
It may stretch past the 5 races for PU2 though. But lets say they stick to 5-5-5... that would give 3 slightly used PU's to use for the final 7-8 races. It's not like they'll be competing for the constructors championship.

Lets say they go this route, and they want to ad a 4th PU. is that possible with a grid penalty for one race?

tpe
tpe

How?
Engine development is frozen. So, what they can test is not a new PU.

tpe
tpe

tpe wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 18:45
Sevach wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 07:24
Carl Mccoy wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 17:49
Ferrari have a such poor tyre management.
Charles wanted to go to battle with Max and Lewis, i don't blame his ambition but he ran too close too fast in the beggining of the race.

I also don't know if the early stop was wise, yes, Lewis, Max and Perez had overtaken and were going away.
Still the team should've looked at how much he was winning/losing to the rest of the pack rather than these 3, i currently don't have this info, but i think the team might've overreacted, the win was never on the cards.
Of course not!
Team was actually LATE. That's how PG passed him!
They guy that downvoted this is just a moron.
That's my opinion, backed from CL radio during the race that you obviously didn't watch.
Anyway.

JPower

Reads like Binotto is sending out warning signals again for next weekend particularly concerning high speed corners.

I don’t know if this is a “we aren’t going to be towards the front” warning or a “we’ll be struggling for points” warning.

wowgr8

Link? I don't think there'll be any track at which this car is struggling to get in the points. The car was midfield leading in Spain and should be in France but McLaren will be close as always

JPower

wowgr8 wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 16:10
Link? I don't think there'll be any track at which this car is struggling to get in the points. The car was midfield leading in Spain and should be in France but McLaren will be close as always
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/86355/f ... -year.html