Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
El Scorchio

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 18:03
nzjrs wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 17:49
Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 17:47
I'm sure Perez is wise enough to know that his only chance to fight for the title next year is to hit the first part of the season flat out and on the top step. Red Bull will favour Max, I think, in any 50/50 calls if the they're close after the first few European races. Perez has to make them think "Perez is the better bet for this season". And even then, I'm not sure Marko wouldn't still put Max first in any marginal calls.
I'm thinking equally from the politics angle, RB signing Perez early will allow Horner and Marko to needle Toto and MB about their uncertain driver lineup. It would be a good destabilizing play IMO.
Well it might be useful to play on Bottas's mind if not Toto's. The likelihood is that Perez is more likely to score heavier than Bottas in any 50/50 situations if Bottas feels that he's being dropped at the end of the season with nowhere else to go.
Absolutely. He's got no incentive whatsoever to play the team game either.

LHamilton

The irony when people feel that Perez should be resigned on the spot, but Bottas probably shouldn't be when Bottas has had a better 2021 than Perez thus far.

nzjrs

LHamilton wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 18:23
The irony when people feel that Perez should be resigned on the spot, but Bottas probably shouldn't be when Bottas has had a better 2021 than Perez thus far.
No where in my post was there a 'should', nor was there a value judgement on the relative driving skill of either driver.

zeph

El Scorchio wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 17:34
Then again, I think Perez is perfectly clear and happy with what his role is, for now.
Perez was almost out of F1 altogether, I’m sure he will be content to play second fiddle for now, at least as long as Verstappen is clearly outperforming him. If that ever changes he may feel differently, but so far he hasn’t made much of a case for equal or preferential treatment. And I say that as a supporter.

Schuttelberg

PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 00:20
Schuttelberg wrote:
17 Jun 2021, 06:21
LOL.

It's mind boggling how result oriented people in the world have become. Hamilton and Rosberg also won everything in their time together but, Rosberg had the capacity to compete against a RedBull or a Ferrari in an equal car. There's no doubt he wasn't so great at passing but he was streets ahead of Bottas and most importantly he had speed. Rosberg was untouchable on some weekends consistently even against a driver of Hamilton's calibre. Bottas is nowhere near him. The only reason "he's been doing his job" is because Mercedes was so far ahead and now in 2021 when Hamilton needs his support, he is nowhere.

The logical solution was to have Ocon in the Mercedes already and then contemplate between him and Russell. Instead, a Mercedes prodigy is now a Renault driver and if Hamilton decides to pull the hand break on his career, Mercedes are left with an unproven talent and a proven failure. They've put too many eggs in the Hamilton basket. I much preferred a Hamilton/Rosberg pairing where your second driver is not a doormat. He's about 1.5 and fully capable of being champion. It's very clear that Red Bull and Ferrari have both recognised this and put things in place for a good 4-5 years. People keep saying that once Hamilton leaves, Verstappen will go to Mercedes but that seat may not be so illusive come 2022. Mercedes have gone from having any driver they like in that seat to Hamilton/bust. It's a clear failure of management and investment but thanks to the masterclass of Hamilton's driving and Mercedes engineers, people will sing hymns of leadership in tribute to Toto Wolff.
I thought anyone could win in a Mercedes, so why the concern if Hamilton retires along an unproven driver 8)
The issue with you is that you only read what you want to read and are intolerant of another person's opinion. Hamilton has been the best driver of his generation. It would not be a stretch to call him the GOAT although I have always believed you cannot compare a Fangio to a Schumacher to a Hamilton.

These are sportsmen. Not robots. Hamilton could have won titles no matter who you put in the second car. BUT, his years against Button and Rosberg were his finest and you could really see the talent he has shine through. If people like you want to shut their eyes and sing his hymns about 2019-20, then that's not my problem. No matter which team Hamilton leaves, he will leave a huge vaccum. He has won races he shouldn't have and deserved his dominant cars but that doesn't mean I should feel any differently about him winning races or titles basically any driver of any pedigree would have. The competition is fierce in 2021 and his team mate is often shown up in races with his tail firmly between his legs with no wag in it. It's a decent reflection of how easy Hamilton has had it the previous couple of years. There is also a degree of uneasiness in Lewis which is normal and it has shown with the mistakes he has made this year. I think Max will bring out the absolute best in him as this season progresses but the lack of competition has clearly shown and on the other hand Max has been on the absolute ragged edge with razor sharp elbows anytime he has been in combat.

Make of this post what you will. I don't care. I will respond if a discussion is something I can learn from and not a silly fan just trying to prove his fav driver is god.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

LHamilton

nzjrs wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 18:55
LHamilton wrote:
No where in my post was there a 'should', nor was there a value judgement on the relative driving skill of either driver.

Edit: never mind, I see you are having a meltdown in the other thread about driver pairings. I'll leave you to it.
And nowhere in my post did I mention you.

Just_a_fan

LHamilton wrote:
Some people want a fast young gun in the Mercedes to show that Hamilton isn't all that after all. Or something. :roll: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

nzjrs

LHamilton wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 19:30
And nowhere in my post did I mention you.
Fair enough, sorry about that.

mclaren111

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 19:31
LHamilton wrote:
Some people want a fast young gun in the Mercedes to show that Hamilton isn't all that after all. Or something. :roll: :lol:

Spot On... With a car like that most of F1's current drivers can win... :D :D

PlatinumZealot

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 19:31
LHamilton wrote:
It's the Floyd Mayweather effect, and ironically Hamilton is such a humble guy. But I guess he's still seen as that punchable face having brat that always gets aways with things #Blessed. Haha.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Big Tea

I had an inkling he would be at AM, but that seems to have gone now. Renault would have been good, but no seats there now. Kimi and Bottas in the same team? probably not. How tight id Danny Ric's contract? he may not be too upset to move out?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Morteza

Big Tea wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 23:14
I had an inkling he would be at AM, but that seems to have gone now. Renault would have been good, but no seats there now. Kimi and Bottas in the same team? probably not. How tight id Danny Ric's contract? he may not be too upset to move out?
Williams might be a very good move though. Mercedes get Russell and give Bottas back to Williams. Valtteri is quite a solid driver IMHO, nice qualifier too. If he goes to Alfa Romeo, would it not be to replace Kimi? I mean how many more years Kimi wants to race? :D

Danny Ric is a weird case. Lando has been stellar, but Daniel has yet to adapt to the McLaren? I think by now all the drivers new to their teams have got the hang of their cars (Alonso, Sainz Jr. , Vettel). I honestly don't know what's going on with him, but is McLaren desperate enough to replace him or he's gonna jump ship first? Is there any team on the grid that wants Ricciardo?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

zeph

I think Ricciardo will have to first be able to beat Norris or at least be thereabouts. If he doesn't level up soon, I see his market value tanking.

Big Tea

Morteza wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 02:54
Big Tea wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 23:14
Williams might be a very good move though. Mercedes get Russell and give Bottas back to Williams. Valtteri is quite a solid driver IMHO, nice qualifier too. If he goes to Alfa Romeo, would it not be to replace Kimi? I mean how many more years Kimi wants to race? :D

Danny Ric is a weird case. Lando has been stellar, but Daniel has yet to adapt to the McLaren? I think by now all the drivers new to their teams have got the hang of their cars (Alonso, Sainz Jr. , Vettel). I honestly don't know what's going on with him, but is McLaren desperate enough to replace him or he's gonna jump ship first? Is there any team on the grid that wants Ricciardo?
I agree, but would Bottas go to Williams? That's an end to end swap, top to bottom. He would also have big shoe to fill after Russell. Williams are waiting to be 'back up there' but not much seems to indicate it will be soon.
If Bottas just wants to drive, yes it would be perfect for him, or if he has a promise of a better seat next year and wants to stay sharp. It is about the worse year he could be left with to find a drive. No doubt Merc will find him a good drive, but will it be one he wants?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.