2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
adrianjordan

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

What ARE the teams allowed to change on the mechanical side of things?

Toto said no AERO updates..... 😉
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Big Tea

The 'theory'? If they were that confident, would they feel they need extra wind tunnel time?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

adrianjordan

Big Tea wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 14:15
The 'theory'? If they were that confident, would they feel they need extra wind tunnel time?
Yeah, but that time goes on next season's car!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

WaikeCU

El Scorchio wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 14:10
WaikeCU wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 14:06
Any clarity on how many tokens they have used so far this season?
Absolutely none! (clarity, not the amount they've used)
If none tokens used, I'd say they'll use all tokens after the Summer stop to unveil 'the W12' for the rest of the season.

Imagine "Pre-season testing is done" communication after the Hungarian GP :lol:

Big Tea

adrianjordan wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 14:17
Big Tea wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 14:15
Yeah, but that time goes on next season's car!!
Of course #-o
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

El Scorchio

WaikeCU wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 14:18
El Scorchio wrote:
WaikeCU wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 14:06
Any clarity on how many tokens they have used so far this season?
If none tokens used, I'd say they'll use all tokens after the Summer stop to unveil 'the W12' for the rest of the season.

Although I think any token spend had to be announced/on the car by the first race, so they have missed their opportunity unless it really is something minor or under the skin and already on there. It's hard to understand all the drama they helped create around it with certain bold and quizzical statements, but then with absolutely nothing to follow up with since.

I don't suppose we'll know until at least the end of the season, now.

BrunoH

im going to enjoy having mercedes take some of the poison they put on others and still failed... gonna love the new front wing rules....

WaikeCU

El Scorchio wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 15:47
WaikeCU wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

Although I think any token spend had to be announced/on the car by the first race, so they have missed their opportunity unless it really is something minor or under the skin and already on there. It's hard to understand all the drama they helped create around it with certain bold and quizzical statements, but then with absolutely nothing to follow up with since.

That's what I think. Would you need to put tokens on the table when for example you introduce a new car? Like in the past when Ferrari delayed with their new car or when Mclaren introduced the MP4-19B later on the season?

El Scorchio

WaikeCU wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 16:19
El Scorchio wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 15:47
WaikeCU wrote:

That's what I think. Would you need to put tokens on the table when for example you introduce a new car? Like in the past when Ferrari delayed with their new car or when Mclaren introduced the MP4-19B later on the season?
That is the million dollar question!

Marty_Y

This may be a stupid statement or maybe it's already happening, but now Mercedes has taken a second engine, and that engine only has to be used in qualification and the race because the old engine is used for practice, could the new engine not be turned up more?

I know the worry would be long term reliability but as a lot of people here have said the constructors championship is slipping away, would it be worth the risk to turn up the engine to 11, get some wins and if there's premature failures take the penalties?

zibby43

I think the engine is fine. It’s the aero efficiency of this car they need to work on.

The front end is not strong because they’ve had to take downforce off to balance out the rear, which is unstable from the floor cuts. This has affected front tire temps, and caused them to have to carry inefficient rear downforce via larger rear wings.
Last edited by zibby43 on 23 Jun 2021, 21:33, edited 2 times in total.

NL_Fer

Marty_Y wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 19:11
This may be a stupid statement or maybe it's already happening, but now Mercedes has taken a second engine, and that engine only has to be used in qualification and the race because the old engine is used for practice, could the new engine not be turned up more?

I know the worry would be long term reliability but as a lot of people here have said the constructors championship is slipping away, would it be worth the risk to turn up the engine to 11, get some wins and if there's premature failures take the penalties?
The 1st unit only ran 7 weekends. The next units have to run 8, also they need a friday unit, if no1 unit fails.

PlatinumZealot

F1Krof wrote:
19 Jun 2021, 13:11
With what appears to be a yet another low key performance in a track where they're expected to be strong, while Max going 7 tenths faster on the same track, with flexi-wing clampped and tyre pressure gimmickry clamped, we can conclude that Merc's 2021 season to have become a fart in the bottle. My belief is that they where overconfident, overestimated their chance and underestimated the effect of the rule changes and their opponents' abilities.

It had to come to an end sometime.
Agree 100%.

And look Ma, no upgrades!!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Pyrone89

I am reading all these journalists and Mercedes' fans predicting gloom and all, even talking about 'the final blow'.

What are those people on? Everyone that has followed F1 could clearly see the Mercedes had the better race pace in France, and they were beaten (with only 1 and a half lap) on strategy by a very good team with the best driver at the moment (doing stuff that Hamilton used to do in his best races).

Trust me, once the strategy department gets things sorted a driver in a W12 will be on the top step again.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Pyrone89

BrunoH wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 16:13
im going to enjoy having mercedes take some of the poison they put on others and still failed... gonna love the new front wing rules....
Yup, that would be karma.

But let's wait, it is the FIA remember, so they may very well do nothing or say 'from 2022 onwards' like they also handled other issues poorly and slow. I am like 90% sure Mercedes won't be made to change their front wing.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.