2021 Styrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
kalinka
kalinka

Re: 2021 Styrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 25 - 27

Hamilton confirmed himself that they couldn't do it > ""We could have put a smaller wing on this weekend," Hamilton told RacingNews365.com and other select members of the press. "But we would have just been slower through the corners, and therefore probably have more degradation. We'll be looking at things."

siskue2005

kalinka wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 23:11
Hamilton confirmed himself that they couldn't do it > ""We could have put a smaller wing on this weekend," Hamilton told RacingNews365.com and other select members of the press. "But we would have just been slower through the corners, and therefore probably have more degradation. We'll be looking at things."
either way they had bad deg in relation to redbull
they should try less wing next week

kalinka
kalinka

Yes, they had, but I believe they were sure the degradation would be even worse with less wing. I can't believe they overlooked such an obvious option.

grubschumi13
grubschumi13

Max has always been very, very strong on this track. In 2018 he came from 5th on the grid in the 3rd fastest car and won. 2019 had started badly fell to 8th but made his way up to beat both Mercs, and both Ferraris again in the 3rd fastest car. It is no surprise that in 2021 in the 2nd fastest car on the grid coupled with starting on pole he beat the faster Mercs. That is why he did so well today and crushed Mercedes.

zibby43
zibby43

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 22:44
zibby43 wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 22:02
El Scorchio wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 21:54

I did wonder if that was a very sensible thing to do at the time actually- especially in light of the other day. I can’t blame him for being excited though, because I think today was they day they realised both titles this season are theirs to lose.
Agree on both counts.

Merc need to ditch the simulations and figure out a way to run their car and set it up around less rear wing.
They're running the rear wing because they can't replace the rear downforce lost to the floor changes any other way. As they aren't developing the W12 at all this year, they are basically screwed.
Yep, and I’ve echoed this sentiment. But they made it work in Portimao, as I pointed out above.

They’re losing out in qualifying anyway at the moment, and the car is more stable on heavy fuel in the race, which helps with both the tires and the rear instability.

To my recollection, they didn’t even trial a lower downforce RW configuration in practice this past week.

zibby43
zibby43

El Scorchio wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 23:04
zibby43 wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 22:25
El Scorchio wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 22:18

If they can! It could just be an inherent lack of downforce with these floor regs that they can’t claw back without running a bigger wing. Looks like checkmate at the moment!
The thing that puzzles me is that they’ve run trimmed out before this season (with Hamilton) and made it work. In Portimao, Hamilton ran less RW and had the straight line speed necessary in the race plus still kept the tires alive.

Merc’s simulations had Hamilton safe from losing the lead in France. They say the simulations favor more rear wing. Time for them to go against the simulations and stop expecting a different result with the same barn door RW approach.
It’s a good point. Of course RBR have made improvements since then as well, though. My feeling as well is they are a bit too ‘by the numbers’ sometimes at MB (with pit strategy as well) and maybe need to trust their own eyes and instincts a little more.
Absolutely. It’s time to trial. They can’t get whipped any worse than they did today. And they still had comfortable margins over the rest of the pack.

Even if it results in more deg, perhaps that will force their hand with more aggressive strategies. They are still acting like they’re leading the pack and married to 1-stop races.

I know they’re smart guys, but they’re being too passive and risk averse. Simply putting 0 pressure on RBR.

Sieper

grubschumi13 wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 00:12
Max has always been very, very strong on this track. In 2018 he came from 5th on the grid in the 3rd fastest car and won. 2019 had started badly fell to 8th but made his way up to beat both Mercs, and both Ferraris again in the 3rd fastest car. It is no surprise that in 2021 in the 2nd fastest car on the grid coupled with starting on pole he beat the faster Mercs. That is why he did so well today and crushed Mercedes.
100% agree. This battle is far, far from over. It is still only beginning.

ringo

zibby43 wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 22:02
El Scorchio wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 21:54
zibby43 wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 21:45
Max was really lucky to avoid any kind of penalty or reprimand for this.

https://twitter.com/adamcooperf1/status ... 92900?s=21
I did wonder if that was a very sensible thing to do at the time actually- especially in light of the other day. I can’t blame him for being excited though, because I think today was they day they realised both titles this season are theirs to lose.
Agree on both counts.

Merc need to ditch the simulations and figure out a way to run their car and set it up around less rear wing.
It's not possible. The downforce is already baked into the RB16 Chassis. I dont mercedes can afford to take wing of the car. You will get more understeer and more tyre deg.
They need to do what they do best and thats find more power from the engine. I dont know how though with the regs. The FIA went a little too far with the floor regs this year.

edit: those saying merc can try a lot of thibgs. They actually cannot do that without an upgrade that gives them more grip at the back of the car.
At most they can try a mclaren style diffuser.

I've got a hunch Hamilton is driving at the limit to a greater degree than max. More so in managing the tyres and compensating for the car's instability. I must say Lewis has been impressive. Max a bit boring i guess. Not really seeing him work any magic. His car is too good and it's not really needed for him to go balls to the wall. Not to say he isnt delivering. Max is doing what theyre paying him to do.
But if Lewis gets an equal car, he will deal more damage on the track in terms of race craft.
Looking forward to things equalizing a bit.
For Sure!!

sprint car76
sprint car76

FIA like usual has screwed the season up. Tried to even it out and went to far. Sounds normal right. The big hype that they wanted (Hamilton vs Verstappen) is heading for the toilet. Red Bull seems serious about this season but Merc. seems to have checked out to bank on having another killer car for 2022. I'm sure Hamilton is pleased. Even the mid field in this race produced zero excitement. Getting up at 4.30AM here in Canada to watch a repeat next week points toward PVR recording and watch in a decent hour.

Scorpaguy

All these Merc doom and gloomers :D

We have the first real fight in years...Merc had a faster car last weekend and got beat (it happens). The Bull was a faster car this week and did not manage a double podium (it happens). This is far from over...the only thing that makes it different now is that it is a fight between boxers of equal weight class. Let the blows (and low blows continue).

PlatinumZealot

nacho wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 20:20
Any explanation why Bottas and Perez were so slow compared to team mates?
Lando set them back by about 12 seconds plus a suboptimal strategies.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

grubschumi13 wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 00:12
Yeah. That's nice. Tell me more?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Chuckjr

Pyrone89 wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 19:59
siskue2005 wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 19:48
Pyrone89 wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 19:26

How many 1-2 did Merc have in 2019 and 2020? How many now for Red Bull? The fact is that there is only 1 thing dominant about Red Bull: its driver with number 33
Redbull having a weaker driver or someone new who is still getting used to the car doesnt help

If you mean its the number 33 driver who is making it win all these races this year, THEN why didnt he do it last 4 to 5 years? Why didnt he win the championship with being super human? Why just now in 2021? :P
Coz this is motorsports and you need a fast car to have a chance of winning and also have a dominant car to win 19 sec+ and lap upto P5
So finally admitting Lewis’ 7 titles are for 6 instances down to car, thank you for finally confirming
EXACTLY. =D>
Watching F1 since 1986.

langedweil

ringo wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 02:07
I've got a hunch Hamilton is driving at the limit to a greater degree than max. More so in managing the tyres and compensating for the car's instability. I must say Lewis has been impressive. Max a bit boring i guess. Not really seeing him work any magic. His car is too good and it's not really needed for him to go balls to the wall. Not to say he isnt delivering. Max is doing what theyre paying him to do.
But if Lewis gets an equal car, he will deal more damage on the track in terms of race craft.
And that my friend is exactly what RBR and Fer have experienced over the last decade .. it's a whole lot easier when you're ahead in free air, driving @ 90% of your driver/car capability, compared to having to race up until %100 where you can only hope for some scraps left on the table.
Lew has been very good over the years, but not as good as a lot of ppl tend to believe ..
HuggaWugga !

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

langedweil wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 05:17

Lew has been very good over the years, but not as good as a lot of ppl tend to believe ..
Which can exactly be applied to other champions. Michael has stats that are partly down to car dominance. Vettel definitely does, as we can see with him having been decidedly average almost since his Red Bull days with only the occasional short run of competitive driving since.

It's how you do when the car isn't the top car that defines you. Max has driven competitively and dragged the best out of his car for a few years, and now is enjoying a leading car. Lewis has enjoyed a leading car and is now dragging the best out of what he has in front of him. I actually think this year, albeit he won't win the title, will actually be one of those seasons that show how good he really is - just like the last few has shown how good Max really is. Both are generational talents.

One learns very little from success. Failure is the great teacher.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.