2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.

Re: 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

RZS10 wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:00
f1jcw wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:57
proteus wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:51

But he still would not be last.
But as the first person to pit, everyone could have carried onto the grid and he'd being last again.
I wonder how fast those slicks could go on a Merc at full pelt. If he'd have given it a few laps could he being fast enough to come out in the middle or are they really that slow, but it is hard to pass?
IIRC the gap to Russell was instantly shrinking.
HAM next time needs to judge the conditions early. Then back the pack up and absolutely cane it immediately after. He arrives at the pits with enough time to get-in and then get-out still in first.

Although it’s probably a scenario they’ve never contemplated to be fair.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Schuttelberg

Shrieker wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:02
Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:24
Hamilton leading the championship again in such an inferior car! :lol:
Mmm, yes, drown me in the sweet tears of your envy

Joking aside, any neutral observer would tell you that Red Bull had the faster car for the majority of the season, and they didn't, or couldn't make the most of it.
I am not neutral anymore and it suits my argument to say Mercedes are faster but you know? I'm not a driver and even if I were, I don't think I'd get a chance to drive both those machines. I doubt anyone can. All I know is that Max would be leading the championship in either car this year with luck being equal because he has not made any race ending mistakes and been vastly unfortunate. But hey? The media is all British as are most forums and the sport, so let's just ignore all that.

Lewis is great. Max is just lucky driving a great car. Let that be the narrative.
Last edited by Schuttelberg on 01 Aug 2021, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

f1jcw
f1jcw

uh oh

NathanOlder

Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:06
NathanOlder wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:53
Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:46

Hmm, let's see-

Car in the gravel in Imola -18 points. (saved by red flag)
Put another car in the gravel (main title rival) in Silverstone and DNF -25 points (saved by red flag)
Blocked title rival yesterday and had team mate take out main title rival who would have won the race without it -13 points
Main title rival has tyre failure and loses 25 points while making a mistake yourself and losing 25 points. (Baku)

What does that total up to? =D>
It totals up to you not watching qualifying yesterday, as that's a load of rubbish and not what happened.
What about the rest of the events? Although I don't think anyone gives a damn what you post anyway.
This is the Hungary thread, lets stay on topic yeah? So you understand what happened in qualy or you believe Lewis slowed purposely to get Perez out of Qualifying?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

mkay
mkay

214270 wrote:
RZS10 wrote:
f1jcw wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:57

But as the first person to pit, everyone could have carried onto the grid and he'd being last again.
I wonder how fast those slicks could go on a Merc at full pelt. If he'd have given it a few laps could he being fast enough to come out in the middle or are they really that slow, but it is hard to pass?
HAM next time needs to judge the conditions early. Then back the pack up and absolutely cane it immediately after. He arrives at the pits with enough time to get-in and then get-out still in first.

You have to maintain 10-car length distance to the SC so he couldn't have done that.

Mr.S
Mr.S

Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:42
Mr.S wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:29
The people cribbing about Hamilton not being past ar fanboys who haven't watched the sport for 20+ years unlike many others. Alonso was on the line & ahead. Hamilton had no business even trying an overtake there. And Alonso gave hima
a full car width otherwise Hamilton would have been out! And LH has been a serial whiner for decades playing victim cards & twisting logic & facts. I still remember when he hit someone in Monaco & got a penalty & played the race card & said it was because he was black. Probably 09 or 10 that was.

Anyways LH continues to get lucky as a far superior driver in Verstappen continues to get taken by another Mercedes (Bottas this time). And Perez's engine needs to be changed too. Both RB are in the new engines & this would compromise the last few races (atleats 1 of them) plus Monza (they have to go into Monza with a much older engine & the others will have new). Alonso rolling back the years & showing why he is a Senna-Schumacher level driver. Shame he has 2 titles only. LH's 7 titles are probably as undeserving as Villeneuve's World Title. Being with a joke like Bottas !

Anyways we head to Mid-season with Mercedes & RB tied of sorts (Mercedes narrow advantage), Mercedes have the quicker car now (proven in different circuits like the last 2). The Silverstone upgrade was very strong & helped Mercedes. RB have the superior driver & need to find 1-2 tenths more in upgrades vs Mercedes in Half 2 if they want to win. This will go to the end. The 2 Mercedes (Hamilton in Britain & Bottas in Hungary) taking our RB causing 3rd Power Unit to be introduced will be a big disadvantage for RB !
Do you recall 2018 Silverstone when insinuations were made about Kimi deliberately taking a Mercedes out? Obviously this doesn't even assume the same realms of discussion!

Hamilton and Mercedes have lost all respect from my side. A Mercedes junior has just won a race and he's nowhere near a race seat and Hamilton has pretended for years that he doesn't care who's in the second car. In fact, he's gone on record accusing Fred and Seb and it's pretty clear that they have no such say.
I am not saying Bottas did it on purpose. Just that Mercedes & LH have been incredibly lucky -

1. Verstappen's tyre goes out in Baku & he loses a 10 point lead over Hamilton
2. Silverstone - Hamilton takes him out & takes 25 points. Intentional or not, he took him out.
3. Hungary - Max was already upto 2nd place & had the whole race to attack Lewis. Also Perez was past Bottas in 3rd or 4th place which would have allowed RB 2 cars & a potential undercut with one.

That is just 3 races on the row that Verstappen missed out on a 1st or 2nd finish due to Tyre failure or a Mercedes taking him out. He should have been 40-50 points ahead of Hamilton going into the winter break & now he is behind.

And RB which went into their 2nd Unit later than Mercedes (were supposed to have a PU advantage thus in durability) are now into their 3rd PU before Monza (where most teams will go with a new engine). There's no way this engine will last & will have same performance. You get a potential 10 place penalty somewhere down the line & you go into Monza without a new PU.

Fair to say LH is insanely lucky while Verstappen has crazy bad luck! Hope H2 doesn't have such lopsided luck ! Incredible to see Alonso. Shame he has 2 titles ! Future generations should remember Alonso like they will for Senna or Schumacher !

Zynerji

Spacepace wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 17:36
Hamilton not looking right. I don't think it's exhaustion either. Like an anxiety attack probably from the booing. It's hard to face that from that many people. It's probably bringing up feelings he had when he was younger and people were happy he didn't win. Those types of things at a young age gives you triggers. I don't think it's inherently racists just Verstappen fans that want Hamilton to lose though. That looked like a flat out anxiety attack on the podium
Can we ban this woke "mind reading" garbage on this forum?

f1jcw wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:10
uh oh

Lol. There are some epic visuals off the back of this race.

Did anyone see Chandhok & Lazenby trying to interview Ocon, abandoning social distancing by walking right next to him whilst using a boom mic to conduct the interview 😂

mkay wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:14
214270 wrote:
RZS10 wrote:

You have to maintain 10-car length distance to the SC so he couldn't have done that.
If that’s the case, isn’t there a crossover whereby HAM becomes the safety car and dictates pace?

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

renault rs26 wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 17:45
https://i.imgur.com/6fpMR2O.png

This guy managed to lose this race. :lol:
And what exactly did Hamilton do wrong this time? He wanted to pit for slicks, but the team told him to stay out. He was dead last and then finished third. Effing ridiculous comment.

politburo
politburo

f1jcw wrote:
uh oh

Just released on the FIA site they will have no race-altering penalties. Apparently it was for not taking off the We Race As One t-shirt during the national anthem.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Shrieker

Schuttelberg wrote:
Shrieker wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:02
Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:24
Hamilton leading the championship again in such an inferior car! :lol:
Mmm, yes, drown me in the sweet tears of your envy

Joking aside, any neutral observer would tell you that Red Bull had the faster car for the majority of the season, and they didn't, or couldn't make the most of it.
I am not neutral anymore and it suits my argument to say Mercedes are faster but you know? I'm not a driver and even if I were, I don't think I'd get a chance to drive both those machines. I doubt anyone can. All I know is that Max would be leading the championship in either car this year with luck being equal because he has not made any race ending mistakes and been vastly unfortunate. But hey? The media is all British as are most forums and the sport, so let's just ignore all that.

Lewis is great. Max is just lucky driving a great car. Let that be the narrative.
There is a factually incorrect statement there. Max made multiple race ruining or compromising at the the very least mistakes, and they were tolerated by Hamilton. Both at Imola and Catalunya Max tried pushing him out ruthlessly, but Hamilton jumped out of the way. Max would've received car damage in both, especially in Catalunya.

Also in the British GP, he took himself out, at least as much as Lewis took him out. He's just so used to people getting out of his way - it showed today as well. He was expecting Mick to get lost, and he ended up with yet another contact.
Last edited by Shrieker on 01 Aug 2021, 19:23, edited 2 times in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Jolle
Jolle

214270 wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:18
mkay wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:14
214270 wrote:

If that’s the case, isn’t there a crossover whereby HAM becomes the safety car and dictates pace?
Not when they have a standing start. Just at a safety car restart

politburo
politburo

Tvetovnato wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:19
renault rs26 wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 17:45
https://i.imgur.com/6fpMR2O.png

This guy managed to lose this race. :lol:
And what exactly did Hamilton do wrong this time? He wanted to pit for slicks, but the team told him to stay out. He was dead last and then finished third. Effing ridiculous comment.
He really should have won the race though, even after that penalty, if not for Alonso (in particular) and Sainz defending well for a total of 10+ laps, Hamilton would have finished the race 15+ seconds ahead of both Ocon and Vettel at the pace he was going at.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"