Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
RB7ate9
RB7ate9

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

It's not just broken, it's definitely angled:

Hail22

Red Bull possibly playing a game of catch up? to be using such an angle which clearly won't be allowed to race.

Is the Diffuser stalling? Lets stick to this boys looks juicy.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

myurr
myurr

RB7ate9 wrote:It's not just broken, it's definitely angled:

1:23.608; 1:38.850; 1:23.992

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

It's definitely not broken. That's how they want it

radosav
radosav

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:IMG
Flexy front wing simulation for slow consant speed lap?
Last edited by Steven on 04 Mar 2012, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quoted pic (see above)

myurr
myurr

Autosport have posted a photo from earlier in the day showing that the car didn't have that front wing angle. Very strange.

They've either found a loophole or they're doing something really strange. That looks like the front wing has been manufactured to run at that angle.

shelly
shelly

About the pitot probe on the rear wing endplate: I think they are using it to have a more acuurate measure of yaw-rlative wind angle at the back of the car.

I think they have to ake into account the amount of lateral deflection the two exhaust plumes get in cornering: in yaw the windward plume will be deflected to the inside, and the leeward plume to the outside. Prabably they are trying to asses this effect on track compared to thier design data.

The two undercut chaneels could have a influence on this behaviour too. One could imagine the massa flow turogh the two of the m being slightly different when cornering, thus influencing / adjusting the difference in sidewash effect for the two plumes.

I do not think this exhaust solution on rbr is a reaction to what they saw on other cars : thy seem to push the envelope further.

The detail of the bodywork before the exhaust pipes exits is very interesting: i do not know what loophole in the regs they have exploited to carve two small edges on the surface, but, as another poster has already pointed out yesterday, the shape they have clearly is reminescent of a ncas intake.
In a naca intake the edges are sharp, with the aim of porducing two counter rotating vortices whose doenwash forces the air into the intake. In this cas the two vortices force the flow don towaqrds the exhaust for stronger interaction.

Also the elbow shape in the "coanda channel" is very interesting.

The undercut hole could be the famous "half a second trick" rumored about by jose luis tweets last month.

Front wing : I have no idea atm.
twitter: @armchair_aero

myurr
myurr

radosav wrote:flexy front wing simulation for slow consant speed lap?
Probably the best idea so far. Or a simulation of what they think they'll achieve from their flexi wing by Australia (or later in the year), but they're still working on the construction.

Guisson

You can notice the difference beetween the Angled one and the Normal front Wing...Just to say that it wasn't broken.
The task is,not so much to see what no one has yet seenbut to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees. Erwin Schrödinger

belfortf1
belfortf1

Looking at the angle of the front wing compared to the tyres, it looks to be broking.

Probably very light build i think.

Hail22

myurr wrote:
radosav wrote:flexy front wing simulation for slow consant speed lap?
Probably the best idea so far. Or a simulation of what they think they'll achieve from their flexi wing by Australia (or later in the year), but they're still working on the construction.
Although the FIA have tweaked the rules to prevent flexing like we saw last year, so the gain wouldn't be as much as 2011.

That wing is way beyond the parameteres of the technical regulations of the FIA its beyond Parallel with the endplate...
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Guisson

Let say Red Bull did it on purpose does the Team risk sthg?
Knowing that it was in conflict with the FIA regulations but choosed to run it Anyway..
From a JustinTV Channel:
» The red bull has lots of flo-viz on the trailing edges of the front wing... and in particular on the 'tea tray' section just behind the nose. Clearly some analysis of front wing layouts being done now
The task is,not so much to see what no one has yet seenbut to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees. Erwin Schrödinger

myurr
myurr

apparently in that last run it was coated in flo-vis

Rikhart
Rikhart

Rikhart
Rikhart

Wait, there is a gap on the FW pylons? You can see bodywork through it on the second pic.