Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
RB7ate9
RB7ate9

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

It would make sense, as would all of the flexible/squishy noses from the perspective of having the minimal mass necessary for safety (via a shape that maximizes impact dissipation with minimal material) but then having the freedom to make the best aerodynamic nose.

Nando
Nando

The honda nose though doesn´t have any degree of movement it seems.
For the RBR nose to move like it did it would need to be quite a lot of space or a very flexible/stretchable material.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

PlatinumZealot

The Moderator wrote:Q: why Red Bull didn't use new engine for Vetel in Abu Dhabi ?!! they can do it without any penalty?

explain please ??
You can use any of the original eight engines in any order you wish. If you use a ninth engine you will be penalized. This does not apply for the last race of the season (I think!).
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Intego

As I wrote earlier in this thread Helmut Marko stated that the replacement engine didn't have enough power so they didn't change it.
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

beelsebob
beelsebob

n smikle wrote:
The Moderator wrote:Q: why Red Bull didn't use new engine for Vetel in Abu Dhabi ?!! they can do it without any penalty?

explain please ??
You can use any of the original eight engines in any order you wish. If you use a ninth engine you will be penalized. This does not apply for the last race of the season (I think!).
Yes, you will be penalised with a 10 place grid drop, which would have had no effect... That was the point being made.

aral
aral

Intego wrote:As I wrote earlier in this thread Helmut Marko stated that the replacement engine didn't have enough power so they didn't change it.
"As I wrote earlier..." Siiighhhh.

Well how do you imagine that a NEW engine could have had less power than a used engine? #-o #-o #-o

Intego

gilgen wrote:
Intego wrote:As I wrote earlier in this thread Helmut Marko stated that the replacement engine didn't have enough power so they didn't change it.
Yep, sigh.
Well how do you imagine that a NEW engine could have had less power than a used engine? #-o #-o #-o
It's nothing to do with my imagination but with a.) the statement from Renault/Marko and b.) the fact that nothing can be manufactured on the exact same level.
Take three road cars from the same production with the same engine and the same announced amount of HP to an engine test bench and you'll get three different test results. No fantasy needed.
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

Intego

aral
aral

Intego wrote:
gilgen wrote:
Yep, sigh.
It's nothing to do with my imagination but with a.) the statement from Renault/Marko and b.) the fact that nothing can be manufactured on the exact same level.
Take three road cars from the same production with the same engine and the same announced amount of HP to an engine test bench and you'll get three different test results. No fantasy needed.
Fortunately. these are not road engines! A road engine can vary by up to 5% due to permitted tolerances.

But in F1, all new engines would give identical BHP, with maybe a 1 or 2 bhp variable. After use, the performance drop is far more noticable.

Can you post a link to Renaults comment? Marko's comments would not carry any weight.

I would be more inclined to go with the fact that it was safer to go with the existing, installed engine, as a change could leave the car susceptible to a leakage etc.

Intego

Sorry, no link. There was an interview with Marko on the RTL coverage where he stated that Renault had said that.

aral
aral

Intego wrote:Sorry, no link. There was an interview with Marko on the RTL coverage where he stated that Renault had said that.
OK. Got it. Just rumour mongering again! :P :P :P

I also use RTL feed, but neither saw or heard such an interview. :roll:

PS And did you not say (on the Ferrari thread) that RTL know their audience is dumb? :lol: :lol:

Intego

Yep, and I also said that they can't imagine that F1 fans aren't necessarily.

So, I definitely saw Marko say that previous to the race, possibly on the BBC or Sky Sports.
German motorsport-magazin.com quotes Marko
A change of engine was also a consideration, but so our overall package is better now and the car faster.
German AMuS wrote
The start from the pit lane allowes Vettel the total reconstruction of his vehicle. He could, for example, bring a ninth engine without penalty. Normally it costs ten places. But how do you put one back ten places, who is anyway at the very end? After a brief discussion the engine supplier decided to waive the Joker. The reason left in the dark. Apparently the replacement engine is not the best power-wise.
Is that really that important?

BTW: Some Articles even said Vettel indeed used a ninth engine, so nothing is for sure. Maybe ESPImperium has an insight (he always had posted engine numbers last year) ...

godlameroso

Interesting, engine power is crucial in Sao Paulo, since its some way above sea level.
Saishū kōnā

Nando
Nando

godlameroso wrote:Interesting, engine power is crucial in Sao Paulo, since its some way above sea level.
or it´s the same because all engines regardless of make suffers the same consequence?

So if you sit on 10 extra horses compared to the rest, chances are you will have that same advantage in Brazil as well.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

aral
aral

Nando wrote:
godlameroso wrote:Interesting, engine power is crucial in Sao Paulo, since its some way above sea level.
or it´s the same because all engines regardless of make suffers the same consequence?

So if you sit on 10 extra horses compared to the rest, chances are you will have that same advantage in Brazil as well.
Yes. It was only at the time of NA and turbo engines, where there was a big advantage in having a turbo. Otherwise, all suffer.