Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vasconia

Re: Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team 2015

J0rd4n wrote: Aldo Costa is a huge asset to Mercedes success. And guess where he came from, Ferrari! I think he's known for being a total genius with suspension. (And many now think Mercedes get a huge advantage from a trick suspension). Clearly Ross Brawn knew his potential. The usual story, he was the technical director so they instantly pointed the finger at him and he got sidelined when things didn't go to plan. And that marked the beginning of the Pat Fry era.
That was another great example of bad management in Ferrari. Costa is great with suspensions, but he had another role, he did not well, and instead of putting him in what he is good, he was fired. Good job Ferrari. :roll:

wickedz50
wickedz50

http://www.grandprix247.com/2015/07/17/ ... or-bottas/

Is this news true already? Kimi sacked and Bothas taking the second wheel at Ferrari in 2017.

bhall II
bhall II

Andres125sx wrote:So someone thinks it´s all about the car, drivers do nothing, it doesn´t matter if you put Alonso/Hamilton or Stevens/Maldonado inside the car, they will get same results, and my argumentation is so absurd it deserve a downvote... :shock:
I don't vote. So, it wasn't me. Nonetheless, you've completely misappropriated what I said.

Phil gets it...
...the car defines the maximum possible that can be achieved. It's a driver that gets it as close to that potential as possible.
I say "it's always the car," because folks often have a tendency to elevate the status of their driver-heroes to mythical proportions with statements like, "___________" put that car where it didn't belong."

No, he put it exactly where it belonged, because it's always the car.

Tim.Wright

Consider also that car's are all setup significantly below their cornering and braking grip capabilities because humans aren't fast enough to deal with the instabilities that you get when both the front and rear axles are operating at their peak grip condition...
Not the engineer at Force India

George-Jung
George-Jung

People used to say that Schumacher was very good in manipulating his car over a lap, what did they mean with it?
I always understood that as that he was able to extract more from the car, than that car was basically designed to do..

Sevach
Sevach

wickedz50 wrote:http://www.grandprix247.com/2015/07/17/ ... or-bottas/

Is this news true already? Kimi sacked and Bothas taking the second wheel at Ferrari in 2017.
The rumours are pointing in that direction.

bhall II
bhall II

George-Jung wrote:I always understood that as that he was able to extract more from the car, than that car was basically designed to do..
There's a word for that: crashing. The most a driver can do is push as hard as conditions allow. Anything beyond that...

I'll put it this way: Pastor Maldonado routinely extracts more from his car than it was designed to do.

:D

Tim.Wright

George-Jung wrote:People used to say that Schumacher was very good in manipulating his car over a lap, what did they mean with it?
I always understood that as that he was able to extract more from the car, than that car was basically designed to do..
It means he was able to drive closer to the car's limits. In other words he could reach 95% of the car's potential where others could reach only 94% (for example).

This "driving beyond the car's limits" is journalistic BS.

Given that "the limit" is a function of about a bazillion variables, no-one are really in a position to be saying yes so and so is at 95% or 96% or 110% but it makes for good TV...

Jordan44

Leo Turrini, who writes the popular Profondo Rosso blog says that Allison’s contract has not yet been renewed; it’s due for renewal this summer. This comes as other Italian media outlets are reporting that he is ‘under scrutiny’. Clearly they are putting the heat on him – so what’s going on?
SPOTLIGHT SHIFTS TO ALLISON AS FERRARI FALL SHORT OF EXPECTATIONS
CAN FERRARI F1 BOSSES REMAIN PATIENT AS GAP TO PACE-SETTERS MERCEDES PERSISTS?

Same old Ferrari, Same old Antics, Same Anticipation, Same old story of in season failure.
However since Mercedes introduced their second engine of the season in June the Italian team has not only fallen back a little, it has also seen Williams move ahead in the last three races on performance.
The man has overseen a huge turn around in one winter turning them into a race winning outfit again. There is only so much you can do during a season, give the man a chance to actually design a car. Pretty sure the current one has many Fry influences still. I thought they had finally sorted out their culture but clearly not. No patience and a massive blame culture. I'm not surprised at all people like Adrian Newey don't want to go there. He'd be the one they blame if they didn't immediately win the championship the following season. It's so far away from the attitude in the Brawn era...

Sevach
Sevach

George-Jung wrote:People used to say that Schumacher was very good in manipulating his car over a lap, what did they mean with it?
IMO a great driver can find the limit and stay there.
Lesser ones might nail some laps (or often just portions of a lap), but can't stay on the limit for long.

Going faster than the car can handle has a name, overdriving, and it's extremely negative.

Andres125sx

bhall II wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:So someone thinks it´s all about the car, drivers do nothing, it doesn´t matter if you put Alonso/Hamilton or Stevens/Maldonado inside the car, they will get same results, and my argumentation is so absurd it deserve a downvote... :shock:
I don't vote. So, it wasn't me. Nonetheless, you've completely misappropriated what I said.

Phil gets it...
...the car defines the maximum possible that can be achieved. It's a driver that gets it as close to that potential as possible.
I´m afraid it´s the other way around, neither of you got what I was trying to say...
Andres125sx wrote: I´m not saying he did more than his car allowed, but he got more from his car than all his rivals from theirs.
My fail probably, sometimes I can´t express myself properly in spanish, so in english I have some serious problems from time to time :oops:

What I mean is if F1 drivers usually reach 95% of car potential, if some driver reach 97% he´s still within the car limits, but since he´s reaching a higher limit than his rivals, he could be finishing the race on a position his car does not deserve. This is not posible when the difference is like current difference between Mercedes and the rest, but when the difference is below half a second, drivers can make the difference.

To avoid suspicious interpretations since many people here know I support Alonso, let´s take 2008 season as an example. IMO Ferrari was a faster car than McLaren, but the difference was small. Since the difference was small drivers can and actually made the difference. Let say Hamilton reached 97% of the car potential, while Massa only reached 95%. In that scenario Hamilton put his car on a position it didn´t deserve, because there was a faster car, but he won.

He didn´t drive his car beyond the limits because as you say that means crashing, but he put his car beyond his deserved position.

Andres125sx

Tim.Wright wrote:This "driving beyond the car's limits" is journalistic BS.
IMHO you engineers take this things too literally. I´ve heard Ferrari people saying similar things with Alonso, more than once they said he drove faster than they think possible, and he finished on a much better position than any of their simulations predicted, not even the most optimistic. And they´re not journalists :wink:

I think you should take it as it is, a praise for the driver, nothing else.

Tim.Wright

Andres125sx wrote:...he finished on a much better position than any of their simulations predicted, not even the most optimistic...
Did anyone really say these things, or did you just make this up?

Andres125sx

Repeatedly, not literally as I said, but when you hear Ferrari engineers (and team director, and CEO) talking about your favourite driver this way that´s something you don´t forget

Don´t ask me for sources tough, it was some years ago

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

I will always take everything Ferrari say not with a pinch but a good cup of salt. They said the same thing about Kimi Raikkonen as well. That he was faster than some simulation and they did not expect him to be that fast. The rest is history.
The stat points between an Online Forum and Real Life are inversely proportional...