Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Frafer
Frafer

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Sevach wrote:Kimi overtake on Hamilton was an interesting moment, Kimi had a better exit and better acceleration early on in the straight and moved to what it looked like a standard overtake, then at some point his car just "died" and Hamilton started gaining ground.

Both cars had DRS i think (Hamilton less than 1s behind Massa).

i notice that too
https://twitter.com/RoboCoPJ/status/721602549418180608
Last edited by Frafer on 17 Apr 2016, 15:05, edited 3 times in total.
"I will miss Gilles for two reasons. First, he was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing. Second, he was the most genuine man I have ever known. But he has not gone. The memory of what he has done, what he achieved, will always be there." J. Scheckter

zioture
zioture

henry

michl420 wrote:Also my understanding is to deliver 120 kw for about 60 seconds, they needed 7,2MJ per lap. Im also interested what is more effective for lap time, use the MGU-K before the braking zone short to generate with full power or just switch it off for a few seconds longer to charge the MGU-H energy?
The ES drain is 120kW minus the MGU-H output, probably in the range 40 to 50 kW. Making the drain 70 to 80 kW and the energy need 4.2 to 4.8 MJ. I would think this is achievable in qualification but not in the race.

As for which strategy is best for lap time I think you would need a full simulator to really know.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

wuzak
wuzak

henry wrote:
michl420 wrote:Also my understanding is to deliver 120 kw for about 60 seconds, they needed 7,2MJ per lap. Im also interested what is more effective for lap time, use the MGU-K before the braking zone short to generate with full power or just switch it off for a few seconds longer to charge the MGU-H energy?
The ES drain is 120kW minus the MGU-H output, probably in the range 40 to 50 kW. Making the drain 70 to 80 kW and the energy need 4.2 to 4.8 MJ. I would think this is achievable in qualification but not in the race.

As for which strategy is best for lap time I think you would need a full simulator to really know.
If from "the drain" you mean the energy store to the MGUK the answer is 4MJ, be it the race or qualifying.

henry

wuzak wrote:
henry wrote:

If from "the drain" you mean the energy store to the MGUK the answer is 4MJ, be it the race or qualifying.
Yes, of course, you are right. I keep tripping over this. The max possible total energy to the MGU-K can be 4 plus whatever the MGU-H can deliver.

Thanks
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Frafer
Frafer

henry wrote:
wuzak wrote:
henry wrote:

Yes, of course, you are right. I keep tripping over this. The max possible total energy to the MGU-K can be 4 plus whatever the MGU-H can deliver.

Thanks
yep, but the K can charge the battery only 2MJ every lap, IMHO the big difference between PU stays in the H and how it works with the turbine/ice
"I will miss Gilles for two reasons. First, he was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing. Second, he was the most genuine man I have ever known. But he has not gone. The memory of what he has done, what he achieved, will always be there." J. Scheckter

Cloud981
Cloud981

Arrivabene

- When they developed the car they pushed for performance first reliability second
- Car proved to be reliable in China and was relief for a team that little problems are not present anymore
- Upgrades will come in gradual packages, they don't want to introduce big steps on new car rather want frequent smaller updates on aero side. In Sochi some small upgrades as well
- Engine will get upgraded as well, not saying when
- According to their calculations in qualifying they would be 1 tenth off Merc had everything gone as it should have without Kimi making a mistake in S3

giantfan10
giantfan10

Cloud981 wrote:Arrivabene

- When they developed the car they pushed for performance first reliability second
- Car proved to be reliable in China and was relief for a team that little problems are not present anymore
- Upgrades will come in gradual packages, they don't want to introduce big steps on new car rather want frequent smaller updates on aero side. In Sochi some small upgrades as well
- According to their calculations in qualifying they would be 1 tenth off Merc had everything gone as it should have without Kimi making a mistake in S3
Funoanalistecnica on twitter is reporting a Pu upgrade for Ferrari in Sochi.
"They will arrive in the next GP important news regarding the PU. If everything goes as it should, the SF16-H will be closer to W07."
The speculation in the responses is that Ferrari will use the "reliability clause" in the rules to fix whatever has caused them to run their PU at reduced power.

giantfan10
giantfan10

Sevach wrote:Kimi overtake on Hamilton was an interesting moment, Kimi had a better exit and better acceleration early on in the straight and moved to what it looked like a standard overtake, then at some point his car just "died" and Hamilton started gaining ground.

Both cars had DRS i think (Hamilton less than 1s behind Massa).
Hamilton and Kimi had DRS ... Kimi used the slipstream to slingshot past Hamilton.... seconds later Hamilton got into Massas slipstream while Kimi was outside on his own...Hamilton then pulled ahead again until Kimi passed under braking with a better line into the corner...that may be the simple explanation

F1NAC

giantfan10 wrote:

"They will arrive in the next GP important news regarding the PU. If everything goes as it should, the SF16-H will be closer to W07."
The speculation in the responses is that Ferrari will use the "reliability clause" in the rules to fix whatever has caused them to run their PU at reduced power.
But that would mean new element or whole pu already in Russia. ?

armyk
armyk

F1NAC wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:

It was said they have problems with ICE Turbo cooperation, not sure if they need to upgrade both or just one of them. Nevertheless they could use current engine for less demanding tracks where power doesn't play that big role.

zioture
zioture

Last edited by zioture on 21 Apr 2016, 17:13, edited 2 times in total.

giantfan10
giantfan10

armyk wrote:
F1NAC wrote:
giantfan10 wrote: Funoanalistecnica on twitter is reporting a Pu upgrade for Ferrari in Sochi.
It was said they have problems with ICE Turbo cooperation, not sure if they need to upgrade both or just one of them. Nevertheless they could use current engine for less demanding tracks where power doesn't play that big role.
Im not sure that using the reliability clause forces you to use a new engine .. hell im not even sure if you use a new engine or just fix the current one....i would assume that every usable engine would get the upgrade otherwise what would be the point?

ripper
ripper

As far as I know reliability clause is used to make changes, or let's say... "hidden upgrades", to the PU without using tokens, but those changes can be done on a new PU and can't be done on already used ones.

The point is that every upgrade that can be done without spending tokens is great advantage. Last year "reliability changes" made by Mercedes in Canada in an excellent example

giantfan10
giantfan10

ripper wrote:As far as I know reliability clause is used to make changes, or let's say... "hidden upgrades", to the PU without using tokens, but those changes can be done on a new PU and can't be done on already used ones.

The point is that every upgrade that can be done without spending tokens is great advantage. Last year "reliability changes" made by Mercedes in Canada in an excellent example
I dont thinks thats correct. This is a snippet from an article about renaults reliability upgrades from last year... it appears that you can use that type of upgrade on a used engine.