Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Intego

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Huntresa wrote:Is it only Red Bull that runs vanes or w/e ontop of the floor on the diffuser ?
I think I have seen at least one car with a similar vane, but can't remember. RB came up with this first and ringo had some interesting thoughts on this earlier: /viewtopic.php?p=388626#p388626
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

Forza

Here are some insights about the development of RB8 from the latest Racecar Engineering edition (click on image for full size).

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Intego

Vettel, Brazil, FP 1
EDIT: removed gif, see YT instead (thx to Kiril): F1 Red Bull Racing RB8 - Flexi wing Brazil 2012
Last edited by Intego on 25 Nov 2012, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

myurr
myurr

Intego wrote:Vettel, Brazil, FP 1

If anyone's able to host a 20 MB gif, it comes in 640x360 ... :wink:
You'll be pleased to know that there are new front wing tests for next year aimed at stopping flexing AND rotation of the wing.

Intego

You know what the FIA and stewards achieve, when they aim at something? :-({|=

McMrocks
McMrocks

I'm not sure if it was already mentioned:

The load for the FiA tests is applied at a point 800mm forward the front wheel centre line. This means if you make the front wing mounting exactly 800m forward the front wheel centre line the leverage is minimized. So you can make a less stiff wing which can rotate more.
For example:
1)if you make the front wing mountings 750mm forward the front wheel centre line the load will have a 50mm lever -> you have to build a stiffer front wing
2)if you make the front wing mountings 800mm forward the front wheel centre line the load will have no lever -> you're mounting could be made of a very soft material nevertheless the front wing will be declare legal.

Is it true or should I stop writing posts after 2:00 am?

if I understand the last page of the Technical Regulations correctly the central piece of the front wing reaches from 750mm to 999mm forward the front wheel centre line.

(and i'm not sure if lever and leverage is the right word. sorry if not :oops: )

Kiril Varbanov

GIFs are unnecessary load for both servers and browsers, so I made a video:
F1 Red Bull Racing RB8 - Flexi wing Brazil 2012

siskue2005

Kiril Varbanov wrote:GIFs are unnecessary load for both servers and browsers, so I made a video:
imo that is just car roll and pitch, correct me if i am wrong

raymondu999

The video is showing the wing pivoting on its own supports - not the whole car. It's moving relative to the car.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

aral
aral

siskue2005 wrote:
Kiril Varbanov wrote:GIFs are unnecessary load for both servers and browsers, so I made a video:
imo that is just car roll and pitch, correct me if i am wrong
Yes, the car is riding the serrated kerbs and the movement of the wing is just normal vibration . The McLarens were doing exactly the same, as were the Ferraris, when they ride the kerbs.
NO wing could possibly be inflexible! Not with all the mass behind the attachment points.

siskue2005

am i the only one who thinks these super slow mo used for analyzing wing flexing is completely useless?
and that too when they are jumping over a serrated kerbs like this one and the one at abudabhi?
it is just super stretching of a micro second to 10 sec....it is highly inaccurate

Intego

It's true that the wing is shaking due to riding on kerbs, but I haven't posted it as evidence for anything but just to watch some beautiful footage. What you read out of it is up to you. :wink:

Nando
Nando

I think it´s safe to say the most extreme wings are now not possible to use due to new FIA tests.

I think we all remember the Red Bull front wing that lowered itself dead on the ground then during braking it raised itself up a considerable amount.
Something like 5cm of movement.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Here's the RB versus the F2012 vs the MP4-27 all on same lap in same spot.

Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 25 Nov 2012, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.

Goran2812
Goran2812

Ferrari and Macca even have their wheels of the ground and still aren't even close to the ground with their wings... How much does front end stiffness have to do with this?
But I still think the Bulls are doing some "black magic" with their front wings that can't be figured out even by the FIA :D
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1