Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bhall
bhall

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Oh, the wild speculation is what makes this time of year so fun. It's like Spring Training - right around the corner - with baseball. No one's lost anything yet.

I still like my idea that the top and bottom slots are linked as a sort of self-sealing, circuitous air dam, or "those damn scoops." But, I think my affection is only based on the fact that it would work, however crudely, and I was the first person to risk looking like a moron by suggesting it.

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

bhallg2k wrote:Oh, the wild speculation is what makes this time of year so fun. It's like Spring Training - right around the corner - with baseball. No one's lost anything yet.

I still like my idea that the top and bottom slots are linked as a sort of self-sealing, circuitous air dam, or "those damn scoops." But, I think my affection is only based on the fact that it would work, however crudely, and I was the first person to risk looking like a moron by suggesting it.
I was actually reconsidering your interconnectedness idea earlier today. Not as an air dam(n), but as a way to secretly route topside air to the bottom. If that bottom "scoop" had enough turbulence in front of it, then the oncoming air wouldn't put up much of a fight against the topside air that was being routed out through the bottom "scoop", and the topside air would fill that low-energy hole...

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

Adrian Newby wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:Oh, the wild speculation is what makes this time of year so fun. It's like Spring Training - right around the corner - with baseball. No one's lost anything yet.

I was actually reconsidering your interconnectedness idea earlier today. Not as an air dam(n), but as a way to secretly route topside air to the bottom. If that bottom "scoop" had enough turbulence in front of it, then the oncoming air wouldn't put up much of a fight against the topside air that was being routed out through the bottom "scoop", and the topside air would fill that low-energy hole...
But... that lower intake was there for a reason last year, so I think it is still fulfilling its same function (cooling KERS, imo).

bhall
bhall

If it's cooling KERS, then based on their well-documented KERS issues, it may not be doing a very good job of it.

Newey can be such an amateur.

(When a team walks away with both titles as easily as they did last year, I'm allowed to cast that stone.)

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

bhallg2k wrote:If it's cooling KERS, then based on their well-documented KERS issues, it may not be doing a very good job of it.

(When a team walks away with both titles as easily as they did last year, I'm allowed to cast that stone.)
Yeah, that Newey guy is a hack! Red Bull meant to hire Adrian Newby, but fouled up the paperwork!

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

bhallg2k wrote:If it's cooling KERS, then based on their well-documented KERS issues, it may not be doing a very good job of it.

There is the very good possibility that the lower duct is unchanged and still providing the same amount of KERS cooling as last year (if that is even what it was doing last year), and part of the upper duct is cooling the driver while the other part of the upper duct is supplementing the KERS cooling, to rectify last years' KERS cooling problem.

Those ducts may be interconnected after all!

bhall
bhall

You know, of all the possibilities being bandied about, I think that's far and away the most logical.

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

bhallg2k wrote:You know, of all the possibilities being bandied about, I think that's far and away the most logical.
Red Bull have obviously been very happy with their car, and besides the mandated lower nose and altered exhaust, they will have been very reluctant to change anything for change's sake. (thanks, btw)

Hail22

Of course Red Bull are happy, look at their front wing the last two years....

I'm sure if we can get someone in Barcelona to do comparitive photos at standing still and at speed it will look like that again.

New advertisement: Red Bull, Cheats with wings! :P
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

Hail22 wrote:Of course Red Bull are happy, look at their front wing the last two years....
I'm sure if we can get someone in Barcelona to do comparitive photos at standing still and at speed it will look like that again.
Whatever...

The FIA have also changed the front wing rules, very late in the game according to Adrian Newey, to allow even less flex this year.

myurr
myurr

Adrian Newby wrote:
Hail22 wrote:Of course Red Bull are happy, look at their front wing the last two years....
Whatever...

The FIA have also changed the front wing rules, very late in the game according to Adrian Newey, to allow even less flex this year.
And yet as far as I'm aware the nose is still tested on a bench supported at the middle, so that any flex or movement in the nose itself / pillars remains untested. There's still a LOT of scope for 'bending' the rules.

Hail22

[...]
Last edited by Steven on 12 Feb 2012, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Technically irrelevant
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

aral
aral

myurr wrote:
Adrian Newby wrote:
Whatever...

And yet as far as I'm aware the nose is still tested on a bench supported at the middle, so that any flex or movement in the nose itself / pillars remains untested. There's still a LOT of scope for 'bending' the rules.
In the middle of the controversy, last year, Newey offered to let the FIA carry out a test on his wing, to double the existing test. Now, this year, FIA have gone with double the old test, so if Adrian was happy last year, with a doubled test, I cannot see him being too worried this year either.

wesley123
wesley123

Hail22 wrote:Well its a multi billion dollar beverage/drinks company afterall maybe they built a new safety school for the FIA *cough cough*

May the Flex be with you...
Oh yeah, the other teams arent doing it at all, we saw the ferrari wing flexing like crazy last year and other teams were doing it too. Together with that Red Bull passes with every test so get your facts right instead of this bogus.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Gridlock

Flexible bodywork is banned because if it fails at speed, you can kill people.

Please bear this in mind when accusing someone of deliberately using it. Think about what you're accusing someone of doing, and what respect that someone should in fact be given based on the past 20 years.