2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season

iotar__ wrote:Re: Dennis dislikes Button and is unconditionally behind his own questionable ideas (Magnussen). This didn't take long :roll: : " "I'm sure Kevin is giving a big wake-up call for Jenson," etc. http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsport ... 64655.html

What exactly is this wake up call, mistakes at the start in every race? Or maybe that the driver who you fired is driving better than either of them? Or that you rushed unprepared Magnussen's F1 debut hurting him in the process? Drivers are not the biggest McLaren problem now but it's easier to talk about them than the fact that McL is the worst Merc team behind Williams and FI.
Take a look at the drivers standing Ron - all you need to look at.

To me this is a very clear signal to Jenson that he's out next year, I mean Jenson is a world champion, he is a known quantity so this public dressing down strikes me as being something else. How can Ron on the one hand be:
''"happy with the drivers in the sense that I think they are giving their best,"

yet single out Jenson as underperforming.

''Come on Jenson, you are a world champion and one thing you can do on a consistent basis - and you should be doing it - is beating your team-mate'''

It's ridiculous. Especially when you consider that Magnesum was supposed to be the second coming.

I can't stand that man, and I hope that Alonso stays at Ferrari. Lewis would be out of his mind to go back. Mclaren don't know their head from their arse at the moment.

SectorOne

I think Ron simply wants one of the top guys, something he doesn´t have now.
Mercedes has two, Red Bull has two, Ferrari has two, Mclaren has none.

He can´t get rid of Magnussen because of the farce last year so this is his way of saying a seat is available.

That´s my theory at least.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

mikeerfol

SiLo

I don't get why Hamilton would leave because he got beaten. If they have the best car for this year and next year, you stay with the best car. That's what will win you championships.

That, and Ferrari breaking gearbox seals so you start on the better side of the grid.
Felipe Baby!

Juzh

What does vettel stand to gain by leaving RB? Unless it's for mercedes, not much. He's staying put for at least 2015.

raymondu999

The uncertainty of Honda, along with McLaren's lack of form this year could prove somewhat alluring - with a new engine, and perhaps an extra early shift of focus to next year.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

superdowg316

SiLo wrote:I don't get why Hamilton would leave because he got beaten. If they have the best car for this year and next year, you stay with the best car. That's what will win you championships.
Fernando Alonso did that in 2007, and it probably cost him a chance of winning 2 titles. Then again, in my opinion, Lewis kinda reminds me of Alonso in that period of time.
Friendship with Honda ended, Renault is my new (and more reliable) friend.

SectorOne

Alonso did not leave because Hamilton won the title. Raikkonen did.
He left because the --- hit the fan big time in 2007.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Yeh, Alonso left because he had a serious beef with Ron Dennis.

sennaf1god.94

JimClarkFan wrote:Yeh, Alonso left because he had a serious beef with Ron Dennis.
Ron wants both Alonso and Hamilton back, as of today. The three of them are now more mature than in 2007...

So if Honda builds a winning PU, then 2016 could see these friends reunited for a good reason.

:roll:
I don't know driving in another way which isn't risky. Each one has to improve himself. Each driver has its limit. My limit is a little bit further than other's.

Ayrton Senna da Silva

CBeck113
CBeck113

OK, my guesses for the top Teams:
Merc: same
RB: same (SV to Ferrari in 2016, for the money & fame)
Fer: Alo to McL, Rai & Hulk in 2015
McL: Alo & Mag, Button out (FI?)
Will: same
FI: But & Per

The others will be fighting over the pay Drivers...sadly...
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

sennaf1god.94 wrote:
JimClarkFan wrote:Yeh, Alonso left because he had a serious beef with Ron Dennis.
Ron wants both Alonso and Hamilton back, as of today. The three of them are now more mature than in 2007...

So if Honda builds a winning PU, then 2016 could see these friends reunited for a good reason.

:roll:
I'm don't think Ron will get either driver back and I think they would be mad to go back.

Mclaren could produce a great car next year, they could have a great PU from Honda, they could have lots of downforce. But I doubt it, there are a lot of 'coulds' in there.

I expect Mercedes to still be the team to beat next year because certain teams normally dominate within certain regulations, but I am very positive about the recent changes at Ferrari also. Marco Mattiacci seems to know what he is about, James Allison is talking about change needed regarding the creativity that Ferrari lack.

Gaz.
Gaz.

SectorOne wrote:I think Ron simply wants one of the top guys, something he doesn´t have now.
Mercedes has two, Red Bull has two, Ferrari has two, Mclaren has none.

He can´t get rid of Magnussen because of the farce last year so this is his way of saying a seat is available.

That´s my theory at least.
I wrote this in the Mclaren team thread a few weeks ago:

There aren't many top drivers available for next year:

Vettel - contracted to RBR until end of 2015
Ricciardo - contracted to RBR until end of 2015
Hamilton- contracted to Mercedes until end of 2015
Rosberg - contracted to Mercedes until end of 2016
Alonso - contracted to Ferrari until end of 2016
Raikkonen - contracted to Ferrari until end of 2015
Massa- contracted to Williams until end of 2016

I can't find details on Bottas's availability. Perez has already been dropped and they've discounted Hulkenberg. JEV hasn't shone against KVyat who does not have the experience. Sutil's ship has sailed & I doubt Estaban is even on their radar. That leaves Grosjean, Maldonado, Kobyashi, Bianchi, Chilton & Ericsson or recruit from GP2 - which jars against their experience requirement.

Imo it's Button v Grosjean for the other seat. Dennis has been making noises for a month or three about Vettel, Alonso and Hamilton, while talking down Button and Boullier is still Grosjean's manager.
Forza Jules

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/28117039

Some speculation from eddie jordon, seems like the grid, according to him at least, could be very static this year regarding the main players and the big teams.

notsofast
notsofast

sennaf1god.94 wrote:...Don´t speak too loud. Now Newey has some spare time...who knows!

And you know how competent and competitive is Adrian...
Not sure if this has already been posted in another thread. Newey is rumored to help Ainslie win the America's Cup for England. Now that's a competition I'm looking forward to!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/sailing/27776371