2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Pierce89

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season

I've heard Max Verstappen to Toro Rosso for '15. Verstappen has been an animal in f3, but straight out of carts. Unlike all his rivals, this season is Verstappen's first season in a slicks and wings car. At Spa, he made the other drivers look amateurish.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

ScottB
ScottB

Pierce89 wrote:I've heard Max Verstappen to Toro Rosso for '15. Verstappen has been an animal in f3, but straight out of carts. Unlike all his rivals, this season is Verstappen's first season in a slicks and wings car. At Spa, he made the other drivers look amateurish.
He's not an RB Junior Driver though. Indeed I've seen it suggested he's wanted for a Merc junior team.

Presumably Kyvat will be joined by Sainz Jnr next year.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Pierce89 wrote:I've heard Max Verstappen to Toro Rosso for '15. Verstappen has been an animal in f3, but straight out of carts. Unlike all his rivals, this season is Verstappen's first season in a slicks and wings car. At Spa, he made the other drivers look amateurish.
Van Amersfoort use the VW engine which is very good in a straightline, ironically, compared to the Mercedes, hence at Spa & Norisring with plenty of full throttle, Verstappen cleaned up.

Pierce89

Jonnycraig wrote:
Van Amersfoort use the VW engine which is very good in a straightline, ironically, compared to the Mercedes, hence at Spa & Norisring with plenty of full throttle, Verstappen cleaned up.
If you watched Spa, Verstappen did all his business in the second sector. You are also forgetting that they switched to the "new" motors in the fia series, this year. We don't know nearly as much about these engines as the old "production based" engines.

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89

ScottB wrote:
He's not an RB Junior Driver though. Indeed I've seen it suggested he's wanted for a Merc junior team.

Presumably Kyvat will be joined by Sainz Jnr next year.
I thought the same, but grandprix24/7 thinks otherwise.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Pierce89 wrote: If you watched Spa, Verstappen did all his business in the second sector. You are also forgetting that they switched to the "new" motors in the fia series, this year. We don't know nearly as much about these engines as the old "production based" engines.
I know nothing of the engines, having never driven F3, merely passing on what is repeatedly stated as paddock belief by the commentators on English coverage.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

During the Hungarian coverage, Rossi joining Marussia was discussed on SkyF1. Paddock talk allegedly is that Haas will be entering in 2016 as an unofficial Ferrari junior team with factory support. With Bianchi set to graduate upwards in 2015, and Marciello deemed to be unready for F1, Rossi will drive for Marussia in 2015 and join Haas for 2016, presumably alongside Marciello.

notsofast
notsofast

Max Verstappen confirmed as a Red Bull Junior driver.
http://verstappen.nl/?locatie=&x=1&id=&lang=en

notsofast
notsofast

Apparently an unnamed source in Torro Rosso stated yesterday that Max Verstappen will be on the starting grid in Australia for the opening race of the 2015 F1 season.

I started watching F1 around the time when his father was born. Clearly I'm getting old. But congrats to Max. I wish him well.

SectorOne

And JEV will be overlooked again, the guy who beat Ricciardo as a rookie.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

SilverArrow10

That is insane if it happens, its his first year in single seaters. Yes he's fantastic but give him a chance to prepare himself. He cant just jump over the entire Redbull young drivers program, including some very good drivers, into a Torro Rosso seat.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

ScottB
ScottB

So they stick a totally green 16 year old (just by the Aussie GP) into an F1 car, and what, throw Sainz Jnr and the others on to the scrapheap?

I really wish he'd gone with Merc, as the RB Programme seems to ruin far more careers than it has built...

Apart from anything else, putting someone in that young, he's still probably growing for god's sake! Just seems insane. A year or two in the lower formula seems far more sensible, while some of the older talents in the programme can have a go in F1.

Gaz.
Gaz.

Is there no minimum age for holding a super licence & for the liability insurance for the team, promoters and venues?
Forza Jules

beelsebob
beelsebob

Alternative theory to set the thread on fire - JEV gets promoted to RBR, Vettel gets the boot.

zeph
zeph

beelsebob wrote:Alternative theory to set the thread on fire - JEV gets promoted to RBR, Vettel gets the boot.
Lol, is the summer break too long for you, bob?

Bored out of your skull, I bet?