2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season

I could believe Bottas would get the McLaren top spot. If not, I can see a Ferrari ride for him when Kimi's contract runs out. It would be a shame to see him waste at Ferrari as a number 2 driver though.

Racer X

I would see hulk over Bottas just simply because Bottas has a better car then Hulk but i would still rate Hulk over Bottas to go to McLaren. I just really see Hulk in McLaren if anything i can see Bottas go to RedBull and replace Vettel while Vettel tries a switch out for Ferrari. Bottas goes to Ferrari maybe. But i see him one more season in Williams.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

beelsebob
beelsebob

Racer X wrote:I would see hulk over Bottas just simply because Bottas has a better car then Hulk but i would still rate Hulk over Bottas to go to McLaren. I just really see Hulk in McLaren if anything i can see Bottas go to RedBull and replace Vettel while Vettel tries a switch out for Ferrari. Bottas goes to Ferrari maybe. But i see him one more season in Williams.
Vettel is actually the interesting one. Once Ricciardo beats the crap out of him over a season, will RedBull feel inclined to bin him? If so, will they really take a driver from a team other than Toro Roso?

Racer X

Thats true and Kyviat is racing well toping a guy who could go toe to toe with the racer who is beating Vettel.... You bring up a good point..... But Vettel release would shake up the grid alot. Guys like Sergio and Hulk would be forced to stay in their teams. While Vettel take a seat like McLaren or Ferrari.

I dont know what to belive anymore.

But i chose to believe in Hulk going to either Ferrari or McLaren.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

rayden
rayden

I've noticed Lauda has been talking to Ricciardo a lot on coverage lately.... Don't see why they would be looking for a driver at the moment though, unless Lewis or Nico are off somewhere else.

beelsebob
beelsebob

rayden wrote:I've noticed Lauda has been talking to Ricciardo a lot on coverage lately.... Don't see why they would be looking for a driver at the moment though, unless Lewis or Nico are off somewhere else.
It could well be a way to bargain a better price out of whoever doesn't win this year.

Cam

beelsebob wrote:
Racer X wrote:I would see hulk over Bottas just simply because Bottas has a better car then Hulk but i would still rate Hulk over Bottas to go to McLaren. I just really see Hulk in McLaren if anything i can see Bottas go to RedBull and replace Vettel while Vettel tries a switch out for Ferrari. Bottas goes to Ferrari maybe. But i see him one more season in Williams.
Vettel is actually the interesting one. Once Ricciardo beats the crap out of him over a season, will RedBull feel inclined to bin him? If so, will they really take a driver from a team other than Toro Roso?
Red Bull (was) only ruthless with it's development drivers, not the main game ones. It's a thought though. But I disagree. Why? Experience. Without Vettel, there is no real depth of experience to glean from. Which is why, IMO, Webber was around for so long. Not for his winning smile and teamwork, but the boy new race cars, knew how to set them up and knew how to give A+ feedback. You need that. Which is why Red Bull have publicly stated their value in continuity.

Vettel may be struggling, but at least he's giving feedback based on what Red Bull know. It may not be giving him personally results, but they are using his feedback against a 5 year winning, proven, baseline. Do you 'bin' that based on one year?
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

zeph
zeph

I can't see Hulkenberg at McLaren. He is consistent, but not faster than Perez. McLaren needs a star.
They were banking on Magnussen being the next big thing, another Hamilton, but so far that hasn't exactly paid off. With the exception of AUS, Button has comprehensively outperformed him, as well he should.

Ferrari will do whatever it takes to keep Alonso until the end of his contract, seeing how uncompetitive fine drivers like Massa and Raikkonen are in their machinery. And based on this year's performance, I'm not sure McLaren is a safer bet for Alonso. They have the best engine, but are trailing Williams and ForceIndia.
Next year's Honda engine may be a winner or not, but it is another variable and Alonso strikes me as pretty conservative, considering he declined the opportunity to drive for RBR back in 2008.

Bottas? I don't know if he has a contract beyond this season with Williams, but for now he seems happy with the team and they are steadily and visibly improving each race. More so than McLaren at any rate.

If Button were to leave at the end of this season, I don't see any star drivers available to replace him, other than Raikkonen. Whether McLaren will want him after this season, and whether he'd want to return, is debatable. So with all that in mind, I don't think they are quite yet ready to let Button go.

zeph
zeph

Cam wrote:Without Vettel, there is no real depth of experience to glean from. Which is why, IMO, Webber was around for so long. Not for his winning smile and teamwork, but the boy new race cars, knew how to set them up and knew how to give A+ feedback. You need that. Which is why Red Bull have publicly stated their value in continuity.

Vettel may be struggling, but at least he's giving feedback based on what Red Bull know. It may not be giving him personally results, but they are using his feedback against a 5 year winning, proven, baseline. Do you 'bin' that based on one year?
Absolutely agree. Thank you for formulating my thoughts for me. Image

iotar__

Yep, no one can drive better than Vettel (let's start with Ricciardo, put him in perspective of cars and Vergne and go from that) and Raikkonen (let's start with half a dozen drivers, it's hard to drive worse and impossible without marketing to get away with it for no other drive). Add Kubica ( :cry: ) and 2014 field is just about the best I remember starting from 95 and you're saying apart from Vettel/Raikkonen there are no alternatives? Webber was around because he was old, good nr 2 put in his place, awarded for that and most importantly they were winning everything anyway. Add some competition like in 2014 and neither of Red Bull drivers is shining. Red Bull was always to choose one of their drivers is another side.

On the contrary, many different alternatives. Rosberg is fighting with Hamilton for WCD and there are several better and several comparable (different strengths weaknesses) drivers out there. Would you say he would be welcomed at Ferrari even before Ham comparison elevated his status in an artificial when in fact he's almost the same driver as he's always been? Put several drivers in RB before 2014 and Merc now and you have superstars.

George-Jung
George-Jung

iotar__ wrote:...Rosberg is fighting with Hamilton for WCD and there are several better and several comparable (different strengths weaknesses) drivers out there. Would you say he would be welcomed at Ferrari even before Ham comparison elevated his status ...
It does put Schumachers effort in an other perspective.. 8)

iotar__

George-Jung wrote:
iotar__ wrote:...Rosberg is fighting with Hamilton for WCD and there are several better and several comparable (different strengths weaknesses) drivers out there. Would you say he would be welcomed at Ferrari even before Ham comparison elevated his status ...
It does put Schumachers effort in an other perspective.. 8)
Yes, a bit, looking at 2014 you can't help but think about Monaco 2012. It's easier if you forget about first two seasons and focus on third. I always said that differences between very good/top F1 drivers are small when all other things are equal. They are more visible under certain circumstances and one lap speed is hard to fake.

Speaking of old drivers ;-). Driving like that Raikkonen doesn't belong not only in supposed top team like Ferrari but in F1 in general. He's a danger to himself and other drivers. There's no way of knowing how next time spin out of nothing (Canada), stupid dive (Monaco), or high-speed crash caused be going off track and coming back will end. It will be interesting to see how Ferrari will handle it, they gave him full verbal support hoping it sorts itself out but couple more races like that and they may start re-thinking it. In 2014 it may matter less but if they want to fight for something in 2015

astracrazy
astracrazy

zeph wrote:
Cam wrote:Without Vettel, there is no real depth of experience to glean from. Which is why, IMO, Webber was around for so long. Not for his winning smile and teamwork, but the boy new race cars, knew how to set them up and knew how to give A+ feedback. You need that. Which is why Red Bull have publicly stated their value in continuity.

Absolutely agree. Thank you for formulating my thoughts for me. http://geekhack.org/Smileys/solosmileys/thumbsup.gif
Red Bull won't bin him anyway. How can they possible bin a driver who came through there ranks and won 4 wdc with them? Vettel is the perfect advert for there driver program, it wouldn't look good to bin him after 1 poor season at the top.

If anyone bins anyone it will be Vettel binning red bull

On Macca - I can't see Ron taking the risk with two unproven (in a winning sense) drivers. If he dumps Button it will be for another top driver. Vettel, Alonso etc.

mclaren111

Has anybody attempted to predict what next year's noses are going to look like with new rules - drawing wise ??? :D

SectorOne

I´m hoping the noses will look similar to what Mercedes is already running. Aesthetically it´s the only nose that looks right imo.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"