2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Kiril Varbanov

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season

Anything is possible, but nothing is sure at the moment. Even both Alonso and Vettel could end up at Mclaren.

In my opinion, Alonso has asked Ferrari for guarantees he'll get a competitive car and they couldn't come up with a convincing answer. That allegedly happened earlier this year when the Mclaren rumor has surfaced. Again, this is a well coordinated PR exercise in order to make the best bet and place your client in the right spot.
Ferrari are on a cross road to show him the door feat. their Italian pride (the team has higher interest) or to retain someone who is simply pushing them to be on the edge. The winning in F1 takes time and investment, and Alonso may have lost patience. I can't blame him. What's wrong with a desire to win?

Phil

turbof1 wrote:IMO, these questions only pop up in moments of serious doubt. If that's what going on at Ferrari, they simply don't know what else to do. "Still nothing. Hey you know what we haven't tried? Replacing our best driver." A driver is still a driver. He gives feedback about the car, but generally development of the car is 99% engineering work. Alonso neither engineers or manages the engineering team.
True. And yet - there's a link between a driver and his team. The driver can only ever be as good as the team behind him allows him to, and the team can only be as good, as the driver is able to deliver. What I see at Ferrari is not all that different to what I saw in Singapore of 2012 at McLaren. I think it's quite evident that Alonso isn't happy anymore. And if the driver isn't - how well can you expect the team to operate?

Also - Ferrari needs to do better for both drivers. I'm not sure to what degree Alonso is responsible for his team-mates struggling to perform at their best, but it seems to be a trend at Ferrari. Massa used to perform better until Alonso joined the team. Maybe it was the accident, or maybe that was only part of the reason. If it comes down to it; I have little doubt that Alonso is better than both Massa and Raikkoennen, but not to the degree he is outperforming both. So the team, no matter how much Alonso is outperforming that car, is performing on a less than optimal level and somethings gotta change.

This might all sound ridiculous, but if Ferrari wants Alonso out - I think there must be more to it than simply "Ferrari is out of their mind"... unless it's as simple as it being that Alonso is the one who wants out and there's nothing much Ferrari can do to change that. Personally, I just think the relationship between Alonso and Ferrari has run its course and now, it's best for both to move on and seek change.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

turbof1

True. And yet - there's a link between a driver and his team. The driver can only ever be as good as the team behind him allows him to, and the team can only be as good, as the driver is able to deliver. What I see at Ferrari is not all that different to what I saw in Singapore of 2012 at McLaren. I think it's quite evident that Alonso isn't happy anymore. And if the driver isn't - how well can you expect the team to operate?
That sounds reasonable. As Kiril suggested, Alonso might be hurting the Ferrari pride. Again, it goes against all rationality since pride is the biggest killer of performance (and unfortunaly pulled a lot of companies down).

Though I don't fully agree with your comparison to mclaren 2012, since in that case it was Hamilton who wanted to leave while mclaren tried to make all sort of concedements to keep him, to no avail. Pride wasn't a matter.

Alonso wants to stay at Ferrari, that much I feel is clear enough. He wants guarantees yes, and indeed he might be rubbing it in internally that it needs to be better. All very normal, since Ferrari does need to improve to winning ways again.
#AeroFrodo

Phil

turbof1 wrote:Though I don't fully agree with your comparison to mclaren 2012, since in that case it was Hamilton who wanted to leave while mclaren tried to make all sort of concedements to keep him, to no avail. Pride wasn't a matter.
One minor point; while I do agree that McLaren on the whole wanted to retain Hamilton, it doesn't mean that the team and Hamilton actually had a harmonic strong relationship. In fact, I think 2012 points to a lot of frustrations within the team - and not only because of the DNFs. There was a stark contrast between how an underperforming Button seemed 'happy' in the team he was, compared to Lewis, who wasn't. There were lots of reports that painted a picture that the whole relationship wasn't at its best.

When I look at Ferrari, I'm not so sure it is either. If one party isn't happy, it can go a long way in damaging the relationship on a whole. This isn't that much different than any other work relationship between an employee and his employer.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

FW17

James Allan says he is out

turbof1

WilliamsF1 wrote:James Allan says he is out
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/10/f ... -for-next/

It's an opinion piece. Though a good one: James very carefully analysed Alonso's words and added some small new interesting bits:
It is looking like the end of the road for Fernando Alonso and Ferrari after five years of rocky marriage. The Spaniard has been told by the new Ferrari management that he can leave and well placed sources say that unless there is an 11th hour change of heart the clamorous split will happen.
#AeroFrodo

Sasha
Sasha

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

mclaren111 wrote:Agree - Need the source !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is all I can give you!

Check the Twitter account of Taki Inoue and look for a picture.(all I can give you)

We also ran the MP4/4,MP4/5 and FW11 today at Motegi.

ScottB
ScottB

Sasha wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:Agree - Need the source !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is all I can give you!

Check the Twitter account of Taki Inoue and look for a picture.(all I can give you)

We also ran the MP4/4,MP4/5 and FW11 today at Motegi.
An old photo of Fernando at the MTC?

FW17

sure it is the MTC, but that is Alonso now not 2007 and that is a selfie (not something that happened in 2007)

That is from Alonso's phone, it will be bad if he sent these out. must be photoshopped
Last edited by FW17 on 02 Oct 2014, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.

Sasha
Sasha

HondaF1 is using Taki Inoue as there official outlet at the moment and in the Honda Way it's done very short with no more explanation.

Alonso was at Honda R&D and Motegi on Thursday.

McMrocks
McMrocks

Sasha wrote:HondaF1 is using Taki Inoue as there official outlet at the moment and in the Honda Way it's done very short with no more explanation.

Alonso was at Honda R&D and Motegi on Thursday.
Why the frickin' hell should they do that? :mrgreen: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :) ROFL (i really ROFLed) that's the most hilarious thing i heard ever!

The picture is from 2007... Just wow. WOW :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: =D> :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mikeerfol

Wasn't Taki Inoue the first who tweeted the Honda engine photo? :P

scuderiafan

Biased as I may be, I don't believe that Mattiaci is looking for "puppets" at Ferrari or is releasing Alonso for selfish reasons. The relationship has been strained every year from the beginning and both parties are unhappy. It only makes sense that they part ways. Though Alonso is the best driver on the grid right now, there's no point in keeping him at Ferrari if neither are happy. I also don't know how much I believe the "Alonso wants to stay at Ferrari" story. They haven't made any headway into winning a WDC/WCC in the five years Alonso has been there and it's time to leave and make a fresh start. I think that both Ferrari and Alonso will benefit from cleaning the slate.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

Sasha
Sasha

These replies is why Honda doesn't talk to Gaijin.

Chris@Woking
Chris@Woking

Sasha wrote:These replies is why Honda doesn't talk to Gaijin.
Look at this and you know everything:
https://twitter.com/alo_oficial/status/ ... 6088843264 If you would think about it for a minute that a Thursday on a GP weekend is a media day and that between Suzuka and Tochigi is a 470km difference and on top Alonso is still a Ferrari employee you would sum up 2 & 2