Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
tony77g
tony77g

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

ringo

I think it is inconclusive if the car is longer, and it doesn't really matter as it may be a matter of mm.

Anyhow, we can conclude that there have been great gains in cooling as the sidepods are visually more choked in the rear.
Another thing to consider is that the engine may also be designed to run at hotter coolant and oil temperatures, which indicates advancements in fuel and lubricants.
This car to me, appears to have a much different philosophy than last years. It may or may not have more peak downforce, but may be have better average downforce. The sidepods from the side view are less aggressive , but this may be a compromise for the diffuser flow.
For Sure!!

dot235
dot235

turbof1 wrote: The rear wing regulation have not changed between 2014 and now.
You're right. Got confused in all this 2017 fuss. #-o
Last edited by dot235 on 20 Feb 2016, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.

dot235
dot235

bhall II wrote:
ChrisDanger wrote: http://i.imgur.com/X13Dan0.jpg
It's still not aligned in that picture, see below:

Image (click)

To align we would need to slightly rotate the SF16H picture to the left which would in turn make it appear that the wheelbase is ever so slightly longer.

Well at least we can safely assume that if there are any differences in wheel base, they are extremely minor.

fawe4
fawe4

Ok, a thumb nose is a bit of a disappointment, and overall carbon detailing is still a bit lacking (although there are improvements in this area compared to last season), but I was quite pleased to see them go for a more aero aggressive front suspension positioning of wishbones. It's still more or less a merc emulation of the last year, but I expected even more conservative, and angled approach to it, since they'll have to start with blank suspension setups.

The back is beautiful though, high gearbox, and long sweeping hot air outlets that are very narrow at the openings. Good power gains on both mechanical and electrical output, and they could be very competitive.

aral
aral

dot235 wrote: To align we would need to slightly rotate the SF16H picture to the left which would in turn make it appear that the wheelbase is ever so slightly longer.

Well at least we can safely assume that if there are any differences in wheel base, they are extremely minor.

oh for goodness sake....all this dispute over size! the two photos are taken from different angles and from different heights. just look at the front wheels in relation to each other! and who cares if the 2016 car is longer or shorter. all that matters is if it is faster.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

It happens every year. People need to understand how photography works and that there is no way in hell you can accurately judge length as the lens distorts. Only way to do it is with the same lens, same camera, same angle, same distance from subject. The car is going to be + or - 20cm to last year so what the hell does it matter anyway.

dot235
dot235

gilgen wrote:
dot235 wrote: To align we would need to slightly rotate the SF16H picture to the left which would in turn make it appear that the wheelbase is ever so slightly longer.

oh for goodness sake....all this dispute over size! the two photos are taken from different angles and from different heights. just look at the front wheels in relation to each other! and who cares if the 2016 car is longer or shorter. all that matters is if it is faster.
Can you please explain what was the purpose or value of your post?

My last sentence of the post you quoted summed it up, but you felt the need to bring it back again.

So you personally don't care which car is longer or shorter. That's good to know, fantastic.
Last edited by dot235 on 20 Feb 2016, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

dot235 wrote:
gilgen wrote:

My last sentence of the post you quoted summed it up, but you felt the need to bring it back again.

So you personally don't care which car is longer or shorter. That's good to know, fantastic.
It's not that he doesn't care, he/she simply understands that it is impossible to know anything material from these photos. It's completely pointless.

dot235
dot235

bonjon1979 wrote:
It's not that he doesn't care, he/she simply understands that it is impossible to know anything material from these photos. It's completely pointless.
based on these photos and them alone:
" we can safely assume that if there are any differences in wheel base, they are extremely minor."

Nothing more nothing less. Now please stop writing those meaningless comments. #-o

Jano11
Jano11

dot235 wrote: Can you please explain what was the purpose or value of your post?
Same goes for your posts.

Now, enough bickering and back to a healthy and purposeful discussion.

f1316
f1316

Right, well personally, I find all the attempts to try and establish an accurate comparison really interesting.

Ultimately pouring over the details of these cars is all futile - this is just fans trying to understand what is happening with these cars and why.

When we talk about long and short wheelbases, the differences are only ever very small; going back to 2007, Ferrari were initially lauded for their long wheelbase solution- Martin Brundle and James Allen making much significance of it in commentary for example - but it was only 2.5cm longer than the BMW.

What I'm saying is, these margins are only ever very small; but then, f1 is about small details m.

kreuzass
kreuzass

My thoughts why ferrari has changed the design of the nose and the height of the front of the monocoque:
They do not need the downforce on the front axel anymore which was created (additionally to the downforce created by the front wing) by the long flat nose... as part of changing the front suspension and the mass centre of the car.

aral
aral

dot235 wrote:
gilgen wrote:

i picked on your post as i could not make the same comment on the previous 10 or so posts. you talked about rotating the image, but as the focal point was different in both pictures, it would not matter an iota as to whether it would be different if you rotated a picture or not.

and yes, i dont care if one car is a few mm longer than another. because it is something that does not matter. all the cars are built to the rules and there will always be slight differences in measurements. but it will not make any difference in performance!

kreuzass
kreuzass

gilgen wrote:... because it is something that does not matter. all the cars are built to the rules and there will always be slight differences in measurements. but it will not make any difference in performance!
What? Of course it does.