Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
BanMeToo
BanMeToo
6
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:26 pm
Location: USA

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

I believe suspension is the same in those two pics.

analyst_one
analyst_one
0
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

While it's fairly obvious that the team is suffering due to a poor understanding of the current tyre-chassis combination and the aero balance issues, the truth might be a bit deeper. Even if the tyres worked well and the aero issues were minimal, we may not have had a better season this year.

Among the many things, I've learnt over the last few seasons, two crucial improvement areas, which stand out are 'speed of development' and innovation.

Speed of development :
Last year, team stated pull rods were fine, but moved to push rods in 16,
Last year, team stated long noses were fine, but moved to a short nose in 16,
In 16, the team has finally copied some of the better stuff from MB (slimmer mirror stalks, 'bat wings, etc) but has still to get around many seemingly key bits such as the 'S duct', rear wings, slimmer chassis, etc.
Overall, from an aero and chassis perspective not much seems to have moved..and the overall the car looks 'so last season'.
The only silver lining seems to be the PU- transmission; albeit not accounting for the reliability issues.

Innovation :
A bit obvious - when was the last time we saw a significant innovation from ferrari widely copied across the leading teams ?.

The need to strengthen the engineering team, particularly in innovation is a given. In my view, and this may a bit of a gamble, the team should consider bringing in fresh thinking by bringing in mavericks such as Ben Bowdly. Sure, he may not have achieved success in his last role at Nissan, but his vision is mind blowing, perhaps even better that the great Adrian ....

User avatar
SR71
5
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:23 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

analyst_one wrote:While it's fairly obvious that the team is suffering due to a poor understanding of the current tyre-chassis combination and the aero balance issues, the truth might be a bit deeper. Even if the tyres worked well and the aero issues were minimal, we may not have had a better season this year.

Among the many things, I've learnt over the last few seasons, two crucial improvement areas, which stand out are 'speed of development' and innovation.

Speed of development :
Last year, team stated pull rods were fine, but moved to push rods in 16,
Last year, team stated long noses were fine, but moved to a short nose in 16,
In 16, the team has finally copied some of the better stuff from MB (slimmer mirror stalks, 'bat wings, etc) but has still to get around many seemingly key bits such as the 'S duct', rear wings, slimmer chassis, etc.
Overall, from an aero and chassis perspective not much seems to have moved..and the overall the car looks 'so last season'.
The only silver lining seems to be the PU- transmission; albeit not accounting for the reliability issues.

Innovation :
A bit obvious - when was the last time we saw a significant innovation from ferrari widely copied across the leading teams ?.

The need to strengthen the engineering team, particularly in innovation is a given. In my view, and this may a bit of a gamble, the team should consider bringing in fresh thinking by bringing in mavericks such as Ben Bowdly. Sure, he may not have achieved success in his last role at Nissan, but his vision is mind blowing, perhaps even better that the great Adrian ....
Any examples of Bowdly's mind blowing vision you could provide?

zac510
zac510
22
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:58 am

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

SR71 wrote:
Any examples of Bowdly's mind blowing vision you could provide?
Getting exceptions in the rules to facilitate his cars :)
(Seriously I like Bowly's work, but his two cars at LM24 recently relied on rules tweaks and waivers).

analyst_one
analyst_one
0
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

zac510 wrote:
SR71 wrote:
Any examples of Bowdly's mind blowing vision you could provide?
Getting exceptions in the rules to facilitate his cars :)
(Seriously I like Bowly's work, but his two cars at LM24 recently relied on rules tweaks and waivers).
All's fair in love, war and motorsports ! Double diffusers, hot/cold exhaust blowing are similar examples in the F1 world.

To SR71 :
The DeltaWing (asymmetric tracks, no wings) and Nissan GT-R LM Nismo (front engined Le Mans challenger) are good examples of his ingenuity.

Some reference articles :
http://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/ben- ... us-462095/

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/inte ... -nismo-qa/

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/2013- ... detlawing/

I hope the rumors about Ross are not true - with all due respect, his time may have passed, he may not have the energy and drive he once had. The recent experience with Rory should have served as a good reminder.
And in any case, James seems to be a good manager and their skills sets seem too similar not complementary.

We need a fresh vision - a new set of eyes, new perspectives, creativity in key technical areas, which do not seem to be James's core strength.
Usually this is achieved by bringing in new people and Ben is just an example of that type.

Just my perspectives on the situation and not meant to be stated canonical truths !

User avatar
SR71
5
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:23 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

analyst_one wrote:
zac510 wrote:
SR71 wrote:
Any examples of Bowdly's mind blowing vision you could provide?
Getting exceptions in the rules to facilitate his cars :)
(Seriously I like Bowly's work, but his two cars at LM24 recently relied on rules tweaks and waivers).
All's fair in love, war and motorsports ! Double diffusers, hot/cold exhaust blowing are similar examples in the F1 world.

To SR71 :
The DeltaWing (asymmetric tracks, no wings) and Nissan GT-R LM Nismo (front engined Le Mans challenger) are good examples of his ingenuity.

Some reference articles :
http://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/ben- ... us-462095/

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/inte ... -nismo-qa/

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/2013- ... detlawing/

I hope the rumors about Ross are not true - with all due respect, his time may have passed, he may not have the energy and drive he once had. The recent experience with Rory should have served as a good reminder.
And in any case, James seems to be a good manager and their skills sets seem too similar not complementary.

We need a fresh vision - a new set of eyes, new perspectives, creativity in key technical areas, which do not seem to be James's core strength.
Usually this is achieved by bringing in new people and Ben is just an example of that type.

Just my perspectives on the situation and not meant to be stated canonical truths !
Yeah he seams to be able to think outside the box, this is rare for engineers. Being able to translate those creative concepts into results however is something quite different. Knowing when your 'outside' the box is different just for being different sake is also important, this seems to be lacking in his decision making.

I'll summarize by a quote taken directly from your links:

"consider that most of those that have worked closely with Bowlby consider him to be of a talent that borders on genius."

True genius doesn't sit on the boarder. It redefines them.

voltmod
voltmod
2
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 8:23 am

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H Rear Detail (Hungarian GP 2016)

Image

zioture
zioture
458
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:46 am
Location: Italy

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

exhaust

Image

Image

zioture
zioture
458
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:46 am
Location: Italy

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

Image

It look like monaco

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger
26
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:59 am

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

Vettel uses 4th turbo for the year.
https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/756474001799647232

User avatar
F1NAC
145
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:35 pm
Location: CRO

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

voltmod wrote:Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H Rear Detail (Hungarian GP 2016)

https://s32.postimg.org/8fuebmnit/f1_hu ... detail.jpg
Is that new protection for turbo? I saw this picture on motorsport.com article about their turbo fix

domh245
domh245
30
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:55 pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

ChrisDanger wrote:Vettel uses 4th turbo for the year.

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/756474001799647232
I would guess that this upgrade was tokenless, given Mr Gruner's mention of "safety"

Blankow
Blankow
0
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:02 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

Does anyone know in particlar where are the aerodynamic problems at ferrari?

User avatar
scuderiafan
11
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:14 pm
Location: United States

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

Blankow wrote:Does anyone know in particlar where are the aerodynamic problems at ferrari?
That my friend, is the million dollar question.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

User avatar
godlameroso
308
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Post

Probably difficulty getting the rake right, it either creates too much or too little rear downforce, and they can't control the rear suspension enough to maintain proper rake without making the rear end too snappy. So they compromise, and it's very good better than everyone except Mercedes and Red Bull, and possibly McLaren, but obviously it's not enough. They themselves have said the car has a very narrow setup window so I suppose this is what they mean.
Saishū kōnā