2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
LM10
LM10

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

JPBD1990 wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 19:36
LM10 wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 19:02
JPBD1990 wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 18:47
Toto saying GPS data showed Ferrari in a higher power mode so they’re not concerned about the quali sims. Redbull ahead on race pace. In other words, business as usual. Yawn.
Redbull ahead on race pace? They were very fast, faster than Mercedes, but I can't read anywhere that they were faster than Ferrari. It seems that Ferrari was doing the fastest longruns, Redbull just behind and then comes Mercedes.

For example, towards the end Vettel did a 1:34.5 on 11 laps old Softs and Ricciardo did 1:35.0 on 17 laps old Softs.
Kimi looked very fast again. At some point of the practice Verstappen was the only driver to go under 1:36 because he was on fresh tyres. A few minutes later Kimi did a 1:35.4 on 20 laps old Supersofts out of nothing.
What I posted was what Toto told Sky after FP2. I was watching on sky and they barely mentioned lap times on the long stints so I can’t verify it... but you can read somewhere that redbull were faster than Ferrari. Here! And that is according to Toto.
I watched Sky too and the only thing he was referring to was the higher power mode Ferrari ran. He didn't talk about Redbull when I watched, but maybe I've missed it, then apologies.

techman
techman

I don't know what you can't understand. What ZB or EB said about simulations and being quicker on some tracks where about LAST YEARS cars and LAST YEARS simulations. If they where true or not, no own really knows. And above all none of us for sure really knows.
This year RB has a Revolutionary chassis compared to last year. They changed their whole aero philosophy and followed Ferraris approach. They did a AMAZING job this year, but this has nothing to do with what chassis they had last year.
EB said months ago that if they are 0.9s behind RB in same engine it certainly will not look good. There is nowhere to hide. They said that from the day the switch was announced.

And he was right, It doesn't look good in did, because they are 1s behind.
And they now saying, engine integration problems , postponed updates, new nose, etc etc.
But you are in no position to judge them.
You have to wait, we all do. They will be judged in the second half, or at the end of year. If they narrow that gap to less than 0.5s it will be a success for most of the ppl that has knowledge of F1.
That's their bet for this year.
But seriously your inability to understand basic things, and your obsession you have against Mclaren, as i said before, it just makes you another classic Mclaren hater with none sense arguments.
iam not a hater and i hope mclaren get close to top3 but however i believe mclaren unfairly critized honda when the fault was also mclaren high drag concept. they cant hide now its clear to everyone that the chassis was way overated.i have links where mclaren boasts about this year and how mclaren will compete with top 3. iam realistic and wish mclaren all the best but i wish they never totally blamed honda for all their problems

godlameroso

Ferrari is fast but it seems they suffer from tire degradation. Would they be driving to a delta? Perhaps the cars are capable of more than 35's and 36's but doing so causes degradation. Perhaps then this opens the door for 2 stop vs 1 stop strategies?
Saishū kōnā

Andres125sx

No mercedes PU in first 9 positions? Clearly Mercedes has been surpassed even by Honda :P

muramasa
muramasa

Merc and Ferrari turn up engine a lot on Saturday, they usually gain 10 or 15 km/h at speed trap from Friday, so Merc Ferrari PU cars will hit like 335km/h. Renault less so but quite a bit more than Honda. Most likely STR will run heavier df setting on Sat so their top speed will remain the same at around 320km/h while all the other cars will gain 5 to 15 km/h, then all the chart will look completely different. Been this pattern for ages.

STR may still be mixing with Renault PU cars, but will not remain in top 10 for speed trap let alone lap time.

Wass85
Wass85

What's happened to Merc? Do they have another Diva in their hands?

Vettel165

godlameroso wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 19:58
Ferrari is fast but it seems they suffer from tire degradation. Would they be driving to a delta? Perhaps the cars are capable of more than 35's and 36's but doing so causes degradation. Perhaps then this opens the door for 2 stop vs 1 stop strategies?
Hello guys, I am new on this forum.
My opinion about that drop of the race pace by Ferrari is simple. Look all teams are limited to use max 3 engines without penalties. So the teams on high-fuel race simulation might go for maybe 3-4 laps to see the full potential of the car (max power) but will then turn the power down and drive to the delta in every stint. That I think is the only reason for that big drop of the time, to preserve,save the engine, which is critical this season.

It does look much better for Ferrari than it was in Melbourne, I think that the new floor works really well. Seb said he was very happy with the car, and that it has a good stable front-end, stability in the corners. I think Ferrari might be much closer to Lewis in Q3 tomorrow, if everything goes to plan, with a perfect lap I think Ferrari could fight for the front row.

Cheers.

HPD

Andres125sx wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 20:33
No mercedes PU in first 9 positions? Clearly Mercedes has been surpassed even by Honda :P
you are free to think as you wish, I only shared the image. :roll:

ian_s

santos wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 18:35
ian_s wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 18:21
proof that Haas copied ferraris car, ferrari having the same issue.........
:D you know that this already happened to others, and it will happen again, don't you?
:D you know that this was all said in jest, don't you?

ripper
ripper

I was watching FP2 on Italian sky and during VET long run on soft they showed that he had a TYRE TEMPERATURE warning on steering wheel while starting a new lap and his time went up by one second. They asked to genè the meaning, but I couldn't hear well because my mom started talking :D

MtthsMlw

Gearbox penalty for HAM
Link

matt_b
matt_b

MtthsMlw wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 21:45
Gearbox penalty for HAM
Link
There always seems to be one for Lewis during the season, least its a track you can overtake on, best not risk it.

etusch

ripper wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 21:32
I was watching FP2 on Italian sky and during VET long run on soft they showed that he had a TYRE TEMPERATURE warning on steering wheel while starting a new lap and his time went up by one second. They asked to genè the meaning, but I couldn't hear well because my mom started talking :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

atanatizante

MtthsMlw wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 21:45
Gearbox penalty for HAM
Link
Yeah, that`s the reason there were some fishy things about their pace and engine modes both on FP1&2 ...
So knowing they have a 5 place drop on the grid but more of that being on a circuit where overtaking is possible (not to mention the 100m added DRS zone) they were solely focused on race pace today :wink: ...
On this note I`m quite interesting to know, from the top teams prospective, how much they setup their car nowadays towards qualy and how much for the race ...
Last edited by atanatizante on 06 Apr 2018, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus