2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

Mercedes needs to get their crap together, the can't give Ferrari points like this.
197 104 103 7

NathanOlder

dans79 wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 22:38
Mercedes needs to get their crap together, the can't give Ferrari points like this.
They haven't given them anything yet
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Big Mangalhit

Bisonas wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 17:44

I don't know why you are repeating your self with all that Mclaren vs RB chassis nonsense.
All the statements About best chassis and up there with RB if same engine etc was about previous year cars.
PREVIOUS YEAR. I am sure you understand that , even if you are trying to play fool about it.
They never said "Best chassis" this year and in fact they said they had to postpone their big aero update.

No one really knows how close to RB they would be last year if they had same engine, and that includes you.

This year RB obviously is not just an evolution. Its a Revolution regarding last years design, and they Obviously did an amazing job with the chassis.
Mclaren has their own problems to solve and their own mountain to climb but they never said anything about having best chassis this year. They hope they can narrow the gap, but its just what they hope. No one said they will manage to do it.
At the end of the year you and all of us can judge them. But for now, each time you have to say something about Mclaren you are sounding just like another classic Mclaren hater with none sense arguments.
Then how come McL were slower in Australia this year than RB last year? Is this year's McL chassis worse than last year's?

As for this GP, so far it seems we might have a big race in hands. Hope so [-o<

RZS10

NathanOlder wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 22:51
dans79 wrote:
Apart from the win in the last race? I thought it was well established that they could have gone quicker after their first stop covering a Vettel stop under (V)SC but they did not because their strategists --- up

dans79

RZS10 wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 23:32
NathanOlder wrote:
dans79 wrote:
Apart from the win in the last race? I thought it was well established that they could have gone quicker after their first stop covering a Vettel stop under (V)SC but they did not because their strategists --- up
The grid penalty for lewis throws a lot of valuable points out the window, and the vsc fiasco cost 7 last race.
197 104 103 7

RZS10

If you consider that it was his (probable) main competitor he lost the points to it's a delta of 14 points

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

go Kimi :)

zibby43
zibby43

RZS10 wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
dans79 wrote:
I think he was implying that Merc haven't given them anything this weekend. Which is true. We haven't even hit Quali.

On one hand, people will see the penalty and think it's the end of a potential P1 for HAM. P1 is more difficult now, but a podium is not.

And we saw in Melbourne, this is motor racing. Before Vettel's stop, he wasn't even a "lock" for the podium. Ended up winning.

One can overtake in Bahrain, too.

Big Tea

zibby43 wrote:
07 Apr 2018, 00:04
RZS10 wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

I think he was implying that Merc haven't given them anything this weekend. Which is true. We haven't even hit Quali.

On one hand, people will see the penalty and think it's the end of a potential P1 for HAM. P1 is more difficult now, but a podium is not.

And we saw in Melbourne, this is motor racing. Before Vettel's stop, he wasn't even a "lock" for the podium. Ended up winning.

One can overtake in Bahrain, too.
If he does not push too hard, he can save his engine and start with a choice of tyres and be back in contention by after pit stops.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

makecry
makecry

Big Mangalhit wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 23:23
Bisonas wrote:

I don't know why you are repeating your self with all that Mclaren vs RB chassis nonsense.
All the statements About best chassis and up there with RB if same engine etc was about previous year cars.
PREVIOUS YEAR. I am sure you understand that , even if you are trying to play fool about it.
They never said "Best chassis" this year and in fact they said they had to postpone their big aero update.

No one really knows how close to RB they would be last year if they had same engine, and that includes you.

This year RB obviously is not just an evolution. Its a Revolution regarding last years design, and they Obviously did an amazing job with the chassis.
Mclaren has their own problems to solve and their own mountain to climb but they never said anything about having best chassis this year. They hope they can narrow the gap, but its just what they hope. No one said they will manage to do it.
At the end of the year you and all of us can judge them. But for now, each time you have to say something about Mclaren you are sounding just like another classic Mclaren hater with none sense arguments.

Then how come McL were slower in Australia this year than RB last year? Is this year's McL chassis worse than last year's?

Isn't it basic knowledge? You really expect a delayed, compromised chassis that was finalized very late to be as good as a chassis built with works factory support? Coz there is no such thing as logic right?

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Merc will split strategies. Hamilton will use softs in q2 and Bottas ss. In some ways the penalty isn’t a bad thing as it takes the decision out of their hands. Watching today and how close the soft was to the ss I couldn’t help feel that the top teams must be tempted to split strategy.

Sevach
Sevach

JPBD1990 wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 18:47
Toto saying GPS data showed Ferrari in a higher power mode so they’re not concerned about the quali sims. Redbull ahead on race pace. In other words, business as usual. Yawn.
Very uncharacteristic, usually Toto is bigging up the competition and saying what tough job Mercedes has infront of them (even when it's clear to everyone that Mercedes has it locked up).
It's just weird to see him say "our situation isn't that bad".

Still a good thing for Ferrari that they don't have to save engine as much.

Rodak
Rodak

DVB wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 17:55
Ferrari is doing great.

I still wonder how drivers know where the border of 'doing the pedal to the metal' is without spinning. I would say every driver would spin 4-5 times a free practice to see where they go over the edge. Is a simulator really that good?
Ha ha! I used to race Formula Ford and one of the tracks we raced at, Deer Park near Spokane, Washington (USA), was an abandoned WW2 training airfield. The best way to learn the limits was to go faster and faster until you spun; there was so much pavement you couldn't hurt yourself. But seriously, you can feel when the car is near the limit; today's F1 cars look like they are limited by front grip, so all that will happen is the car will understeer, which is frustrating but pretty safe as far as going off in a big way.

godlameroso

Big Mangalhit wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 23:23
Bisonas wrote:

What are you going on about? McLaren's pace this year is very close to Red Bull's pace last year, Verstappen's fastest lap in the race was .014 seconds faster than Alonso's this year.

The deficit to Red Bull is one year's worth of development.
Saishū kōnā

tpe
tpe

Hamilton hit with gearbox change penalty.