2019 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 06 - 08

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
zibby43
208
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 am

2019 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 06 - 08

Post by zibby43 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:59 am

Image

Tire Selections

Image

2018 Results

Qualifying

Image

Race

Image

2018 Pole Lap



2018 Race Highlights


KiLLu12258
1
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:55 pm

Re: 2019 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 06 - 08

Post by KiLLu12258 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:38 am

normally it should be a easy win for ferrari. They are too fast on the straights.

yelistener
15
User avatar
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:55 am

Re: 2019 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 06 - 08

Post by yelistener » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:48 am

I assume in Monza Ferrari won't need to sacrifice one driver to ensure a race win. Monza is Spa-S2 free lol

And the slipstream competition in quali will be even more ridiculous than Spa.
Last edited by yelistener on Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill
14
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:28 am

Re: 2019 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 06 - 08

Post by Bill » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:58 am

Monza has slow corners and Ferrari is atrocious in those

matt_b
2
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:03 am

Re: 2019 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 06 - 08

Post by matt_b » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:10 am

Ferrari to lockout the front row then Mercedes to be closer in the race, I suspect Mercedes will have learned a lesson from their passive strategy in Spa and maybe try something to throw a cat among the pigeons.

Bill
14
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:28 am

Re: 2019 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 06 - 08

Post by Bill » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:31 am

Toto wolf is crying about Ferrari pu.“That is beyond good and evil,” he said. “Ferrari’s power is no longer normal.”

izzy
14
User avatar
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 9:28 pm

Re: 2019 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 06 - 08

Post by izzy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:40 pm

Bill wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:31 am
Toto wolf is crying about Ferrari pu.“That is beyond good and evil,” he said. “Ferrari’s power is no longer normal.”
Lol, Toto is learning about the role of drama in F1, a lesson from Bernie :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :)

Ringleheim
3
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:02 am

Re: 2019 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 06 - 08

Post by Ringleheim » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:16 pm

Bill wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:58 am
Monza has slow corners and Ferrari is atrocious in those
Nah. The middle sector at Spa that gave Mercedes a shot against the Ferraris doesn't exist at Monza.

The Ferrari advantage will be greater at Monza.

Ringleheim
3
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:02 am

Re: 2019 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 06 - 08

Post by Ringleheim » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:19 pm

Bill wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:31 am
Toto wolf is crying about Ferrari pu.“That is beyond good and evil,” he said. “Ferrari’s power is no longer normal.”
Jenson Button was laughing at the suggestion that Ferrari had some type of "super power unit" a few races ago. He asserted that their straight speed advantage has nothing to do with some type of "super engine" as the horsepower advantage it would need would be huge, if the performance was coming solely form the PU.

Rather, the "advantage" comes from Ferrari's overall lack of downforce and corresponding drag.

They would probably need to be 100 bhp up on the Mercedes to get the speed advantage they have solely from power.

The engines are all way too regulated and close in spec for that to happen.

Having said all of the above, no doubt the current Ferrari PU is very good, and may well be the class of the field, but only by some small amount.

The point is this is not where their straight line speed is coming from.

foxmulder_ms
2
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: 2019 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 06 - 08

Post by foxmulder_ms » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:29 pm

Let's see what Merc can do with zero wing :) I think they will be closer to Ferrari than people think.

ubuysa
0
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:39 pm

Re: 2019 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 06 - 08

Post by ubuysa » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:44 pm

The strategies are going to be fascinating that's for sure. Both Ferrari and Mercedes will take lessons from Spa and it will be fun to see how Mercedes try to get Lewis past Charles and how Ferrari try to get Seb in front of Lewis and Valtteri (and possibly even Charles).

Sent using Tapatalk


cooken
2
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:57 am

Re: 2019 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 06 - 08

Post by cooken » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:51 pm

At spa Merc ran more downforce for better S2 performance and better overall tire management. They compromised S1/S3 for this.

At Monza that compromise is not needed, and everyone runs low downforce. So Mercs straight line disadvantage may be reduced, especially if the PU restriction goes away.

zibby43
208
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 am

Re: 2019 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 06 - 08

Post by zibby43 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:54 pm

Ringleheim wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:16 pm
Bill wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:58 am
Monza has slow corners and Ferrari is atrocious in those
Nah. The middle sector at Spa that gave Mercedes a shot against the Ferraris doesn't exist at Monza.

The Ferrari advantage will be greater at Monza.
Consequently, Merc can completely ignore trying to win back time in a middle sector like Spa.

I think qualifying will be closer just by virtue of the fact Merc won’t have to turn their PUs down for Monza. But it’ll still be a Ferrari on pole. Race? Anything can happen.

On a side note, I read somewhere that the Ferrari PU qualifying advantage is something like 20 horsepower. The rest of the performance comes from the extreme efficiency.

santos
37
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:48 pm

Re: 2019 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 06 - 08

Post by santos » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:58 pm

zibby43 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:54 pm
Ringleheim wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:16 pm
Bill wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:58 am
Monza has slow corners and Ferrari is atrocious in those
Nah. The middle sector at Spa that gave Mercedes a shot against the Ferraris doesn't exist at Monza.

The Ferrari advantage will be greater at Monza.
Consequently, Merc can completely ignore trying to win back time in a middle sector like Spa.

I think qualifying will be closer just by virtue of the fact Merc won’t have to turn their PUs down for Monza. But it’ll still be a Ferrari on pole. Race? Anything can happen.

On a side note, I read somewhere that the Ferrari PU qualifying advantage is something like 20 horsepower. The rest of the performance comes from the extreme efficiency.
but unlike SPA, this midle sector have a long straight. And with DRS.

Big Tea
59
User avatar
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: 2019 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 06 - 08

Post by Big Tea » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:29 pm

It has probably been asked countless times before, but will the track mean loss of recharging for the cars? and which will be most affected? (if so)
One test is worth a thousand expert opinions