2020 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 17-19

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mkay
mkay

Re: 2020 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 17-19

Schuttelberg wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 17:48
All this talk of Hamilton's lap. I think he could have gone faster still. Wasn't he down on his previous S1 time? Had Bottas taken pole, this would have been highlighted by his critics no end. It's unbelievable how fickle F1 fans are.
People are all over Albon at the moment when the guy who is sat on pole cost him a win in the first race.
HAM didn't cost ALB anything in hindsight. ALB DNF'd due to a mechanical failure of some sort, and clearly ALB didn't give HAM the same room he then gave PER the next race, showing he probably realized he created his own misfortune by Schumi chopping HAM.

holeindalip
holeindalip

SmallSoldier wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 17:24
Unf wrote:
holeindalip wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 16:49
W11 around silverstone is going to be a beast!!!!!
Are you really excited from it? Another boring qualifications and races with double Mercedes with 1s ahead of the rest? Yaaawn.
I’m excited about it... Not a Mercedes fan, but nothing wrong about getting excited to watch what could arguably be the best car in F1 history... As exciting for me as watching the MP4/4 in 1988

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He just doesn’t get it......

McMika98
McMika98

Redbull paying the price of pandering to one driver. They have same speed as Mclaren and Renault and slower than racing point. Horner getting undressed.

holeindalip
holeindalip

JordanMugen wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 17:28
SmallSoldier wrote:
As exciting for me as watching the MP4/4 in 1988
MP4/4 raced against hobbled FW11B with Judd engine instead of Honda. :x :lol:

Competition is relative!

Mercedes team were not strong during Red Bull dominated V8 era, results may have been quite different if the Mercedes team was operating as well then as they do now. :D
Yeah Mercedes didn’t push red Bull around in qualifying in 2013 or did you forget about that, race pace wasn’t there yet with poor rear tire management from the chassis but still had 3 wins.....

Unf

holeindalip wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 18:03
SmallSoldier wrote:
Unf wrote:
Are you really excited from it? Another boring qualifications and races with double Mercedes with 1s ahead of the rest? Yaaawn.
I’m excited about it... Not a Mercedes fan, but nothing wrong about getting excited to watch what could arguably be the best car in F1 history... As exciting for me as watching the MP4/4 in 1988

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He just doesn’t get it......
For me - what makes me excited in F1 - is a fightning wheel to wheel and 0.010 gap between. This is racing and this is adrenaline.

If for you guys it is amazing when one team is 1s quicker than anyone else... ok...

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Schuttelberg wrote:
All this talk of Hamilton's lap. I think he could have gone faster still. Wasn't he down on his previous S1 time?
Indeed. He was a tenth down on his previous S1 time and then pulled more from the lap as it progressed. He should have been a couple of tenths quicker than his eventual pole time.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

epo
epo

McMika98 wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 18:04
Redbull paying the price of pandering to one driver. They have same speed as Mclaren and Renault and slower than racing point. Horner getting undressed.
Yeah exactly, time also to promote Albon, perhaps Max to AT and Kyvat in the other RB seat?
And maybe you replacing Horner?

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

epo wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 16:23
Hammerfist wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 16:21
Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 16:17

George Russell stated that all of the guys Albon grew up racing with know how quick and good he is. If RedBull drop him, it'll be their loss if he goes elsewhere and finds his mojo again.
Redbull need to lay off the Max cool-aid and build a car that both drivers can live with. Max alone is not going to get them to beat Mercedes, they need to create that intra team rivalry where both drivers are pushing each other. That is how Mercedes did it, first with Rosberg and Hamilton, than now with Hamilton and Bottas. You get the feeling both guys like the car. Albon does not feel comfortable in the Redbull. That much is clear.
Dude really? In what way does this car suit Verstappen?
It suits him much better than the last 3 teammates he has had. Come on surely you have noticed a pattern?

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

LM10 wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 16:13
El Scorchio wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 16:10
LM10 wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 16:07
Funniest scene was seeing Racing Point garage going wild over 3rd and 4th - with a car they didn't build.
Well they did build it. Just had a bit of ‘inspiration’ in the design.

TBH it’s good. Adding to all the spice behind the Mercedes.
I'm sorry. I should have written "with a car they didn't design". Of course they built it - by getting some of that "inspiration" before.
Even funnier. Watching the other teams' "original" designs be slower than a 1-year old copycat design. How much wasted money was that then?

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

foxmulder_ms wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 17:29
Big Tea wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 17:08
214270 wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 16:48
I don’t think this helps.

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2020/07/ ... t-russell/
Alexander Albon is “being made to look like an idiot” at Red Bull, according to rival and close friend George Williams.

I must have missed that one who is he?
Redbull is a marketing operation so they invest and "arrange" everything to create a legendary persona who can market their products. They are not good for F1 as a sport... as a spectacle, maybe...

I am surprised Bottas was close to Ham frankly. I was expecting a bigger delta.

Overall Mercedes engined cars looked very strong. I think first 3 races were the weakest for Merc and it looks like they are going to win all three, if they don't collide to each other... I think Merc may win all races this year.
I think Bottas has proven himself to be very fast, especially over 1 lap. It's race craft where Lewis really differentiates himself from Valteri.

I don't get the RP hate, and I am saying this as a Mclaren fan. The other teams not pushing the rules in regard to copying a proven design is foolish. Eventually they come around (see: tunnels, high nose, mid engine vs front engine, reclined seating positions, etc).

This is where good team managers are worth their weight in gold. They basically are the captain steering the ship and set the direction.

epo
epo

Hammerfist wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 18:16
epo wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 16:23
Hammerfist wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 16:21

Redbull need to lay off the Max cool-aid and build a car that both drivers can live with. Max alone is not going to get them to beat Mercedes, they need to create that intra team rivalry where both drivers are pushing each other. That is how Mercedes did it, first with Rosberg and Hamilton, than now with Hamilton and Bottas. You get the feeling both guys like the car. Albon does not feel comfortable in the Redbull. That much is clear.
Dude really? In what way does this car suit Verstappen?
It suits him much better than the last 3 teammates he has had. Come on surely you have noticed a pattern?
Only pattern I see is your anti Max posts on this forum.

Schuttelberg

mkay wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 18:00
Schuttelberg wrote:
All this talk of Hamilton's lap. I think he could have gone faster still. Wasn't he down on his previous S1 time? Had Bottas taken pole, this would have been highlighted by his critics no end. It's unbelievable how fickle F1 fans are.
People are all over Albon at the moment when the guy who is sat on pole cost him a win in the first race.
HAM didn't cost ALB anything in hindsight. ALB DNF'd due to a mechanical failure of some sort, and clearly ALB didn't give HAM the same room he then gave PER the next race, showing he probably realized he created his own misfortune by Schumi chopping HAM.
What an utterly pathetic post! Exactly the sort of post that brings down the quality of a forum.

Albon's DNF could have resulted from the collision as attributed to by Honda although I do acknowledge that they could be mind games. I have no bias of any form towards Albon and thank heavens the stewards had more sense than you. I can see the side of the argument that Hamilton's penalty was harsh although that's a whole new subject of discussion but to say Albon called for the collision or to say that hindsight proves that Albon's result wasn't affected shows your pathetic bias. May be then, you should feel that Vettel shouldn't have been penalised for Baku 2017 as Hamilton was anyway not going to win because of his headrest?

Pathetic!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

NathanOlder

LM10 wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 16:07
Funniest scene was seeing Racing Point garage going wild over 3rd and 4th - with a car they didn't build.
Nah, the highlight. was seeing RedBull looking so glum over a crap car they did build.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Schuttelberg

Mercedes could be kind and give us Russell vs Hamilton next year. Hamilton, I think would still win but I think it would be a good fight and Saturday's in particular will be mega!

I think Mercedes deserve this success as boring as it is for us but as fans in such treacherous times we could do with some inter team competition.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Moore77

Hoffman900 wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 18:17
foxmulder_ms wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 17:29
Big Tea wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 17:08

Alexander Albon is “being made to look like an idiot” at Red Bull, according to rival and close friend George Williams.

I must have missed that one who is he?
Redbull is a marketing operation so they invest and "arrange" everything to create a legendary persona who can market their products. They are not good for F1 as a sport... as a spectacle, maybe...

I am surprised Bottas was close to Ham frankly. I was expecting a bigger delta.

Overall Mercedes engined cars looked very strong. I think first 3 races were the weakest for Merc and it looks like they are going to win all three, if they don't collide to each other... I think Merc may win all races this year.
I think Bottas has proven himself to be very fast, especially over 1 lap. It's race craft where Lewis really differentiates himself from Valteri.

I don't get the RP hate, and I am saying this as a Mclaren fan. The other teams not pushing the rules in regard to copying a proven design is foolish. Eventually they come around (see: tunnels, high nose, mid engine vs front engine, reclined seating positions, etc).

This is where good team managers are worth their weight in gold. They basically are the captain steering the ship and set the direction.
The pattern is always the same with Hamilon's team mates. When the car is on rails, his team mates are either very close to him or even beat him in qualifying. It's when the car is difficult to extract the performance is when the gulf opens up. When it is wet, the difference magnifies. With Rosberg too, the margin in qualifying became smaller as the years passed by. In races though, the story remains the same.

Some people are really sour that RP has got it right, which was a MASSIVE risk to undertake for any team. Teams have always copied ideas, to now say copying full car is bad is outright BS. You either copy or you don't and either is just fine as far as F1 is concerned. Copying a full car is no different to copying a part of it.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.