2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
User avatar
djos
101
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 5:09 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Post

McG wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:57 pm
djos wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:03 am
runningmanz wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:51 am
Zak comes out and puts all the nonsense to rest with Ricciardo saying their relationship has never been better. I think some people look a bit silly with all the talk of him getting the boot and Zak wanting to get rid of him etc.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/85171 ... criticism/
It was just a beat up by lazy journos and some haters with nothing good happening in their own lives.
What a disgusting attitude to have. So because anyone questions Ricciardo, and rightly so (his own boss even did), they have nothing good happening in their own life lol. Kind of understandable considering your location. Seems you have teamed up with the new resident apologist. All the best to Ricciardo but the Baku result and qualifying here doesn't mean much.
I’m not having a go at folk dishing up legitimate criticism.

I’m having a go at the chicken little’s who claim the sky is falling every 5 mins and post stupid things like "Daniel will be replaced by Gasly” in direct contradiction to statements from the Mclaren SLT that Daniel will be driving for them next year.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.

runningmanz
runningmanz
0
Joined: Tue May 25, 2021 1:57 pm

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Post

McG wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:57 pm
djos wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:03 am
runningmanz wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:51 am
Zak comes out and puts all the nonsense to rest with Ricciardo saying their relationship has never been better. I think some people look a bit silly with all the talk of him getting the boot and Zak wanting to get rid of him etc.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/85171 ... criticism/
It was just a beat up by lazy journos and some haters with nothing good happening in their own lives.
What a disgusting attitude to have. So because anyone questions Ricciardo, and rightly so (his own boss even did), they have nothing good happening in their own life lol. Kind of understandable considering your location. Seems you have teamed up with the new resident apologist. All the best to Ricciardo but the Baku result and qualifying here doesn't mean much.
Wow, just a bit over the top? The wild speculation and nasty comments over Ricciardo's future and relationship was out of control from many people and now this so called rift and sacking rumours have once again proven to be unfounded. The ill informed and haters can keep flogging a dead horse ( or as Seidl puts it, playing a broken record) but his position within the team is safe and he has upped his game lately. I can't help feeling a bit of bitterness directed our way and resorting to name calling because we dare to disagree with the negative narrative. Maybe this bitterness and digs at Ricciardo is because Lando is not whooping Dan lately. Sad if so, don't see this venom towards Lando from Ricciardo supporters. Dan has more than held his own the last few weekends (including before Landos qualli issue at Canada) not to mention Oz and Imola as well for example. No need to try and denigrate him just because Lando is not beating him lately.

Anyway I think the real issue is the car at the moment not the drivers.
Last edited by runningmanz on Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
djos
101
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 5:09 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Post

djos wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:43 am

Anyone know what happened to Daniel’s car? He was doing fine in that last stint and then suddenly started losing several seconds a lap.
Just watching the end of race team radio, sounds like there was a technical issue… again! 🤦‍♂️

Direct quote from Daniels engineer:
“Not the afternoon we hoped for, but we’ll discuss it out of the car and make sure you are aware of what happened”
The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.

runningmanz
runningmanz
0
Joined: Tue May 25, 2021 1:57 pm

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Post

djos wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:30 am
djos wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:43 am

Anyone know what happened to Daniel’s car? He was doing fine in that last stint and then suddenly started losing several seconds a lap.
Just watching the end of race team radio, sounds like there was a technical issue… again! 🤦‍♂️

Direct quote from Daniels engineer:
“Not the afternoon we hoped for, but we’ll discuss it out of the car and make sure you are aware of what happened”
Yep overheating issues. He was losing alot of time after that safety car. Disappointing as he had passed one of the ATs with a gutsy pass up the inside almost a wheel on the grass and was looking decent before that.
Last edited by runningmanz on Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
djos
101
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 5:09 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Post

That’s explains Daniels “we were managing some issues” comment in the post race interview.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.

User avatar
Mclarensenna
4
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:49 am

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Post

Darth-Piekus wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:42 pm
I am really curious. Is the Old Wind Tunnel and Simulator that much of a handicap that they are getting developed by teams who Mclaren should have been able to eat them for breakfast?
Mclaren should eat the midfield teams for breakfast?
The last few years Mclaren had a big budget advantage over most midfield teams (which is what really gave them their main advantage) but that advantage is gone and has been neutralized this year.

Also Mclaren finished 4th last year so all teams below them had extra wind tunnel and CFD time which actually so far handicaps Mclaren when compared to the midfield teams.

The other handicap and not sure how accurate all this speculation is i added a video below, that Mercedes went from having the fastest engine last year to slowest on the grid this year.



So yes all these reasons are why Mclaren is not eating the midfield for breakfast so far.

The only way Mclaren can even remotely turn it around is
1. Having an Incredibly talented team/designers/management working so much smarter and efficiently over the midfield.
2. The latest and greatest infrastructure (technology/computers/windtunnel/simualtors etc) to give them a leg up on their competition.

I think Mclaren has the first area covered already and the second area we will see the full effects by 2024 (hopefully sooner)
As a Mclaren fan, the future looks only up from here :)

User avatar
djos
101
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 5:09 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Post

McLaren has apologised to Daniel Ricciardo and Lando Norris after both drivers finished out of the points in a lacklustre outing at the Canadian Grand Prix on Monday.
https://apple.news/AsOZ5QGhkQ6CwvOcyK0R3fA
McLaren boss Andreas Seidl said the team didn’t give Ricciardo and Norris a competitive car over the course of the weekend and admitted they “didn’t deserve points.
“It’s been a tough weekend in general, with the car lacking pace, having reliability issues and suffering an operational issue in the double-shuffle pit stop during the Virtual Safety Car period. We have to acknowledge our competitors did a better job and therefore we didn’t deserve points today.

“We didn’t give Lando or Daniel the package they deserved today, so we have to offer them an apology.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.

runningmanz
runningmanz
0
Joined: Tue May 25, 2021 1:57 pm

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Post

Yeah just a shocking weekend all round. I'm sure Seidl is on top of it though with the reviews etc. Very smart and successful leader. We just have to figure out how to reduce the drag without sacrificing the grip. The other problem is the bloody cost cap you can't just go changing out bits willy nilly using up money so might take more time to bring the right upgrades to try and fix the problem.
Last edited by runningmanz on Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
_cerber1
219
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:50 pm
Location: From Russia with love

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Post

And it is very likely that the latest updates did not affect the drag reduction in any way, although this was stated in the team.
All eyes on Silverstone, let's hope it will be better, we need good points, the rivals in the Constructors' Championship are too close.

Ben1980
Ben1980
1
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:11 am

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Post

Not a great weekend all round. I don't think its a bad car, just its not a good car. But one bad weekend doesn't ignore the decent results.

4th should still be the target.

Did the brake issues, push all other developments further back, compared to similar teams?

User avatar
mclaren111
249
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:49 am
Location: Shithole - South Africa

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Post

Darth-Piekus wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:54 pm
Ok I now have to criticise some of you here. You have to have in mind that there are fans here more passionate than others. That doesn't mean they are armchair fans or plastic fans or whatever you want to call them. Nobody here is an expert of how F1 works or should work but you need to accept that not everyone has the same opinion. It is clear that while the team might have fixed their slow and medium speed weakness the car has gone backwards as they have lots of drag and even have problems in mixed conditions. They have gone backwards compared to the top teams and let a few midfield teams pass them despite Mclaren bringing the largest upgrade package. It's ok to criticise. Everyone here wants to see Mclaren not only first but dominating the field and some of us have become impatient after 1999 and 2008 but it's understandable. That is all.Just don't be a-holes to each other.

Amen...

mwillems
mwillems
8
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:11 pm

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Post

Ben1980 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:01 am
Not a great weekend all round. I don't think its a bad car, just its not a good car. But one bad weekend doesn't ignore the decent results.

4th should still be the target.

Did the brake issues, push all other developments further back, compared to similar teams?
According to the team, Yes. Other updates were put on hold whilst the brakes were fixed and in some places they had to go back to the drawing board.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems
mwillems
8
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:11 pm

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Post

Mclarensenna wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:47 am
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:42 pm
I am really curious. Is the Old Wind Tunnel and Simulator that much of a handicap that they are getting developed by teams who Mclaren should have been able to eat them for breakfast?
Mclaren should eat the midfield teams for breakfast?
The last few years Mclaren had a big budget advantage over most midfield teams (which is what really gave them their main advantage) but that advantage is gone and has been neutralized this year.

Also Mclaren finished 4th last year so all teams below them had extra wind tunnel and CFD time which actually so far handicaps Mclaren when compared to the midfield teams.

The other handicap and not sure how accurate all this speculation is i added a video below, that Mercedes went from having the fastest engine last year to slowest on the grid this year.



So yes all these reasons are why Mclaren is not eating the midfield for breakfast so far.

The only way Mclaren can even remotely turn it around is
1. Having an Incredibly talented team/designers/management working so much smarter and efficiently over the midfield.
2. The latest and greatest infrastructure (technology/computers/windtunnel/simualtors etc) to give them a leg up on their competition.

I think Mclaren has the first area covered already and the second area we will see the full effects by 2024 (hopefully sooner)
As a Mclaren fan, the future looks only up from here :)
Yep talent amongst a core group is now more important than ever, as is the management of that group and the tools that the group is provided to do their jobs. Development has to be the most efficient process that it can be and this is a key outcome of the current financial and sporting rules.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

User avatar
Juzh
150
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:45 am

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Post

Mclarensenna wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:47 am
The other handicap and not sure how accurate all this speculation is i added a video below, that Mercedes went from having the fastest engine last year to slowest on the grid this year.
Mercedes engine deficit is overblown. Ok, they're not dominant anymore but they're also not 2014-2018 renault level. Mclaren was very fast already in 2020 with renault PUs, so putting blame on mercedes now is a bit far fetched.

From what I've observed all engines are actually VERY close in terms of total power (ferrari with the most, unlike what video says). I don't think there's more than 10-15 bhp difference from top to bottom, and can easily be masked just by running slightly lower wings.

Ok, in terms of relative PU performance from 2021 to 2022 mclaren doesn't have an advantage anymore, but they have far bigger problems at the moment than 5-10 hp power deficit. Red bull demonstrated in years gone by that you can be very competitive even with a total dog PU (within reason, 2015 honda excluded).

User avatar
Mclarensenna
4
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:49 am

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Post

Juzh wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:36 pm
Mclarensenna wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:47 am
The other handicap and not sure how accurate all this speculation is i added a video below, that Mercedes went from having the fastest engine last year to slowest on the grid this year.
Mercedes engine deficit is overblown. Ok, they're not dominant anymore but they're also not 2014-2018 renault level. Mclaren was very fast already in 2020 with renault PUs, so putting blame on mercedes now is a bit far fetched.

From what I've observed all engines are actually VERY close in terms of total power (ferrari with the most, unlike what video says). I don't think there's more than 10-15 bhp difference from top to bottom, and can easily be masked just by running slightly lower wings.

Ok, in terms of relative PU performance from 2021 to 2022 mclaren doesn't have an advantage anymore, but they have far bigger problems at the moment than 5-10 hp power deficit. Red bull demonstrated in years gone by that you can be very competitive even with a total dog PU (within reason, 2015 honda excluded).
"Mclaren was very fast already in 2020 with renault PUs, so putting blame on mercedes now is a bit far fetched." <---- Far fetched blame? Please read my post again and do not post select quotes completely out of context. I stated there were 3 handicaps combined which explained why Mclaren was not eating the midfield for breakfast with the 3rd handicap the engine part as speculation.