2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix - Las Vegas, Nov 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sieper

Re: 2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix - Las Vegas, Nov 16 - 18

AR3-GP wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 11:24
Bill_Kar wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 11:17
Why was Perez asleep at the end there?
It's very strange to be honest especially considering his minister of defense title from previous seasons...
I don’t agree, he gambled in Q2 and wanted to have 2 sets of reds to get the best qualy result. You don’t do that if you have given up. He also talks the talk in every interview, also not consistent with somebody who gave up.

You Can see from his interview he just doesn’t make the right decisions consistently and ofc when going up against the likes of Alonso, Leclerc he doesn’t have the same car control.

chrisc90

In other races I think he should have defended better.

BUT given his position, and where it netted him over the season, P2 in the WDC, it was a half measured move to allow charles past, especially that late. Charles could have easily outbraked himself and hit Checo.

He got a podium, took the trophy home from runner up which is also massive for the team. Good choice really.

Hindsight would have been nice to pull a bit more time out over charles after he got past him.

avantman
avantman

chrisc90 wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 10:39
AMG.Tzan wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 10:36
200 iQ move by Verstapen to try and pass Russell right before a huge DRS straight!

Thankfully Lady Luck took care of him once more and he didn’t end up with a puncture or something…

He can’t seem to battle without pushing the other one off the track or hitting him…
Didnt Russell admit that it was his fault?
he admitted it was 'fully' his fault.

search

All in all it was a good race from Perez, I think. Also because he didn't really benefit much from the second safety car, which came out when he had an 11s lead, and still setting competitive lap times.

He was about to pit again anyway the coming laps, I guess, but was in a good position for a late charge on much fresher tires.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

basti313 wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 10:08
FittingMechanics wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 09:41
And like Toto said - come Sunday no one will remember the drain cover.

Track looks to be decent for racing. Good news if we are about to get it for next 10 years.
Sainz will remember :D

Race: Just great. As always anticipated. At least by me. Calculating the money now....

Interesting and not yet discussed: How did they f*** up Piastri? What was that with 7? laps to go? Why did they wait with the stop until it was over? And not stop under SC???
He got damage with Hamilton, had to pit early, then it was too early to put on mediums.

TFSA

AMG.Tzan wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 10:36
He can’t seem to battle without pushing the other one off the track or hitting him…
You can't possibly be serious. That was 100% on Russell. He turned in way too early.

Pictured below is Hamilton on Piastri at the same corner. Hamilton went for the inside, Piastri gave him plenty of space and took the outside line of the corner. Unfortunately, HAM had a small swerve on the corner exit, which caused the two cars to touch after the corner, which sadly was enough for the cars to have damage. But it was clearly a racing incident, and both drivers handled that corner and overtake really well, considering how tight it is.

And here we have Max on George. Sadly couldn't get the same camera angle as the other overtake, but what happens is very clear: George turns in on Max early, and they collide way before the corner.

And just to be clear: Max was far alongside for quite a while before the corner, so it wasn't a divebomb/late braking. George simply either didn't see him or ignored him.

That's a slam dunk penalty.

Did I mention anywhere that it wasn’t Russell’s fault?
Please. You ridicule Max's racecraft in a post where you, at the same time, make fun of his decision to overtake George. That's not an accidental combination. 🙂

avantman
avantman

that's a slam dunk drive through. should've been. and would've been in the good old days/

DGP123
DGP123

Chadhok was right. Good race track, poor Q track. Enjoyed the race, as the bar has been set low this year. I wouldn’t say incredible racing though. Overtakes on a straight are ok for a while, I’d prefer more elongated battles, with proper wheel to wheel racing.

SC’s played into RB’s hands, and then it was inevitable Max would win.
Last edited by DGP123 on 19 Nov 2023, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.

nico5

AR3-GP wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 10:16
nico5 wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 10:15
AR3-GP wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 10:09

This track is very short and the deg on Verstappen's hard tire was not big. I think he would have caught and passed Leclerc. The gap was only around 2-3 seconds before the final SC.
He just went from 6 laps older tires to 5 fresher, no difference at all...
My comment was with regards to Verstappen being on 5 lap older tires and the RB have very good tire wear. I don't know what you are asking.
I'm saying there was little chance he would win on pace without the SC. Even when deg is said to be "low", it's still like 0.05s/lap (which is evened out by fuel). Max's only lap in free air was on his 5th lap (lap 21), a 37.9. Leclerc was doing 38.0 on his third lap. Good luck closing down 3 seconds at 0.1s per lap. The difference between that situation and the post-SC one is like 0.5s at least. Hence your misguided impression.

Ozan
Ozan

max always tries to pass people by pushing them outside, like first lap first corner on LEC and expects them to give him plenty of space.

organic

Ozan wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 13:29
max always tries to pass people by pushing them outside, like first lap first corner on LEC and expects them to give him plenty of space.
I agree it's a typical Max manoeuvre (historically) but I think it's worth considering that he doesn't seem to do this move nowadays. Max said he was surprised by the lack of grip (like half the grid behind) and said that the penalty was correct in post-race press conference. He also apologized immediately to Charles after getting out of the car according to Charles himself on Canal+

DDopey
DDopey

Ozan wrote:
He had no grip, too late braking, just like many other cars and Leclerc himself. He said the penalty was fair afterwards.

stephen

The start of the race weekend might not be ideal but the race was a really good one.
Stephen Marengo
My F1 favorites: Community | Team | Driver

Juzh

Hamilton casually doodling on racing line with a puncture cost verstappen 3s to russell.

in other news:
Hihgest race sppeed: 366 kmh - sainz, that's like pre-2022 monza speeds

search

DDopey wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 13:36
Ozan wrote:
He had no grip, too late braking, just like many other cars and Leclerc himself. He said the penalty was fair afterwards.
he (or the team) probably had the choice to give back the position though, didn't they?

We've seen teams taking a penalty instead before, because a pass is usually worth more than 5s. It's probably something to have a look into in the off season, and maybe increase the penalty to 10s.