Owing to the global COVID-19 pandemic, W Series has announced that it has called off its race activities for 2020, confirming that the series would return to action in 2021.
The single seater championship for female drivers was established last year. The inaugural season saw Williams development driver Jamie Chadwick secure the title after a thrilling year that feautred her battles with Beitske Visser and Alice Powell.
The second season was originally scheduled to get underway on Russia’s Igora Driver track on May 30. The 2020 W Series championship was set to remain the support series of DTM while it was also set to make its debut as Formula 1’s support series in two events.
After DTM announced major changes to its 2020 calendar and with Formula 1’s United States and Mexico Grands Prix also hanging in the balance, the organisers have decided to put the championship on hold until 2021.
CEO Catherine Bond Muir said: “After the resounding success of W Series’ debut season in 2019, our decision not to stage on-track races until 2021 is not one that has been taken lightly."
“However, now that we have taken the very difficult but ultimately unavoidable decision to end any uncertainty surrounding our 2020 plans, we will focus our energies clearly on 2021, when we will resume our on-track racing programme, bigger and better than ever before."
Formula One’s motorsport boss Ross Brawn has expressed his regret that the W Series’ debut on the F1 calendar would be delayed until 2021.
"W Series has had an incredible impact on the world of motorsport, and we were excited to have them join our schedule this year. It is a big disappointment for all of us that due to the difficulties presented by COVID-19 the events will not take place, but we are looking forward to some exciting racing in 2021 when W Series returns,” he said.