Singapore Night GP 2008

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Re: Singapore Night GP 2008

The circuit that will be used for this GP, of which 80% is compromised of city streets.
Imageimage linked from f1-grand-prix-singapore.com

Yay, another bridge for Bridgestone to worry about! Although this one does not move like the one in Valencia.

Imageimage linked from itv-f1.com

'Donskar', I never read anything related to the quote you mentioned, but if it's true I would limit it to Raikkonen but not Massa, since Massa actually knows how to communicate properly :D .

And limited testing is good IMO, it reduces unecessary spending for teams and suppliers. Can you imagine how many engines, tyres, etc., teams would go through with unlimited testing? That's simply unacceptable in the situation facing Formula One, which is cutting costs and having less of an affect on the environment. Fiorano and Mugello are not useless regardless of what goes on in Formula One, Ferrari does a lot of production car testing and development there (which as of late is quite a lot), and it's possible that other manufacturers/teams use Mugello themselves.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Josep Sunyol

mx_tifosi wrote:The circuit that will be used for this GP, of which 80% is compromised of city streets.
Imageimage linked from f1-grand-prix-singapore.com

Yay, another bridge for Bridgestone to worry about! Although this one does not move like the one in Valencia.

Imageimage linked from itv-f1.com

'Donskar', I never read anything related to the quote you mentioned, but if it's true I would limit it to Raikkonen but not Massa, since Massa actually knows how to communicate properly :D .

And limited testing is good IMO, it reduces unecessary spending for teams and suppliers. Can you imagine how many engines, tyres, etc., teams would go through with unlimited testing? That's simply unacceptable in the situation facing Formula One, which is cutting costs and having less of an affect on the environment. Fiorano and Mugello are not useless regardless of what goes on in Formula One, Ferrari does a lot of production car testing and development there (which as of late is quite a lot), and it's possible that other manufacturers/teams use Mugello themselves.
Road bumps :'( Although Singapore isn't that bad.

Check out Martin in Singapore video: http://www.itv-f1.com/VideoWorldwide.aspx

Good look into the Singapore GP.

flynfrog

donskar wrote:mx_tifosi wrote:
Given how long they have been suffering from not being able to keep tyres in the operating window during cooler ambient temps- caused by rain- , how can they continue without having solved that specific problem?
What was that quote in MotorSport attributed to a Ferrari engineer? Something very close to: "[Kimi and Felipe] are useless technically"

Personally, I miss the days of unlimited testing. Badoer and a hundred laps at an artificially dampened Fiorano might just turn things around. For those who think all the rules changes favor Ferrari - how many other F1 teams have two test tracks largely going to waste?
and one race engines
and tire wars
and Ti skid plates

NaZzO

An amazing simulated lap of Singapore track with commentary by Mark Webber

http://www.f1complete.com/content/view/10324/1/

enjoy
Interviewer: The most exciting moment during the race weekend?
Kimi: I think it's the race start, always.
Interviewer: The most boring?
Kimi: Now.

freedom_honda

Tomba wrote:Here's a pic of the reflective paint they plan to use:

Interestingly, the line is on the sidewall, giving is also an idea of how next year's slicks will be marked.
anyone got a high-res copy of that photo?
i really like it. thanks =]

WhiteBlue

Singapore preview quotes: BMW

Friday, September 19th 2008, 10:28 GMT

Nick Heidfeld: "Everyone is really looking forward to the Singapore Grand Prix. Firstly because it's a new track, secondly because it's a street circuit and thirdly, of course, because we'll be driving at night. The floodlights should ensure it is actually as bright as during the day, but nobody has yet experienced how these light conditions will feel at Formula One speeds. I would have welcomed the chance to test on the track, especially in the rain. Rain combined with the artificial light is the great unknown for me with this race. The climate should be similar to that in nearby Kuala Lumpur, and - from experience - it rains frequently there, especially in the early evening.

"In principle, I think it's a great idea to hold a race at night. I'm more of a night person - I like to go to bed late, but am not a great early-riser. For that reason, the rhythm of this weekend should suit me. It's a question of adjustment. It's important to eat and sleep at the right times in order to ensure you're really on the button when you need to be. I doubt we'll have much free time, but as the race is taking place in the middle of the city I imagine we'll be able to absorb a fair amount and sense the atmosphere. I've never been to Singapore, apart from sitting in the airport, and am expecting it to be a vibrant and interesting Asian metropolis."

Robert Kubica: "I am looking forward to Singapore, as the Grand Prix will be the second new race of the season. Racing on new tracks is always interesting - I enjoy it very much and I am very excited. Beyond that, I am extremely happy to race on another street circuit as I am a big fan of street circuits. Lots of people consider it interesting that the race will start at night. But from a driver's perspective I think it does not make a big difference whether we race in the daylight or at night. There are still some question-marks regarding weather conditions and - related to the chance of rain - the light situation. I am sure the FIA have done everything to make it a safe race."

Mario Theissen, BMW Motorsport Director: "Singapore is the second unknown quantity on the calendar this year after Valencia. Both are city races, but in Singapore the action will also be taking place at night - and that in an Asian metropolis and against an amazing backdrop. This will give the event even more appeal and excitement. You only need to think of the special atmosphere you get at a football match under floodlights: the surroundings melt into the background, the action itself takes centre stage. I'm expecting this premiere in Singapore to be the highlight of the season.

"We had a look around the circuit at a meeting of team managers in Singapore and were given a demonstration of the lighting system. We were left very much with the impression that, although the race would be at night, it would actually be as bright as day. The only question remaining is whether the light will reflect from the track surface if it rains. That's something we'll only find out if we get a wet race.

"We're very much looking forward to another race in a booming region. I think the wide variety of circuits in the top category of motor racing this year makes sense and is the right approach. And, above all, it makes F1 extremely attractive for the spectators. The overall package represents probably the most spectacular mix of circuits there's ever been in Formula One.

"The recent back-to-back races at Spa and Monza saw Nick and Robert not only increase our number of podium finishes this year to ten, but also collect a total of 21 points - more than any other team. Now we're looking to follow up this good showing in the last couple of European races this year with a strong climax to the season."

Willy Rampf, Technical Director: "From the spectators' point of view, the Singapore Grand Prix - the first night race in the history of Formula One - will be a highlight in the truest sense of the word. The circuit has a large number of 90-degree corners in the 100 km/h speed band, which means that traction will take top priority. The downforce level is high, comparable to Monaco. As things stand, the biggest unknown is the track surface. Its lack of exposure to the sun is a factor that should not be underestimated, as the asphalt temperatures will be lower than at other races in this part of the world. That is something we'll need to take into account with the car set-up.

"Because this is a new circuit for all of us, we'll be relying one-hundred per cent on our simulation, which has proved to be very good in the past. The unusual working times will certainly demand a fair amount of all involved, but will also be an interesting experience. In Jerez we tested several new aerodynamic components which we'll be using in Singapore. I'm confident that we'll be able to continue our positive recent run of results and am looking forward to this new challenge."
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

donskar
donskar

mx_tifosi wrote:
Can you imagine how many engines, tyres, etc., teams would go through with unlimited testing? That's simply unacceptable in the situation facing Formula One, which is cutting costs and having less of an affect on the environment.

mx_tifosi, always enjoy and respect your input - with a name like mx_tifosi it has to be good! :)

However, this time I have to point out some (partial) fallacies we all seem to accept without question:

1) Testing expenses were NOT saved in total - at least some portion of those expenses were plowed back in to simulation hardware and software. (Think about McL's investment in that sophisticated driver simulator. Think about companies like Nick Wirth's who specialize in doing - at great expense - all the "testing" through software and simulators.)

2) "cutting costs" - KERS is increasing costs significantly, not cutting them; "savings" on longer-life engines and transmissions involved significant and expensive redesign and retesting. And we now know that engine development has not stopped anyway.

3) "less of an affect on the environment" As an old marketing/PR guy, I love this one. Really, think about this. If F1 cut its environmental impact by 99% - or increased it by 1,000% - how great an effect would it really have on the global situation? That argument might work on the rubes and yokels, but it does not stand up to analysis.

My basic position is simple: F1 should be the arena for brilliant engineers and drivers - not politicians and bean-counters. One example that some of you will understand: one of the greatest, most innovative F1 designers of the last 50 years - John Barnard - left the sport for MotoGP.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

GTO

Gents, excuse me for interupting your discussion, which I must point out is wandering way off topic.

A question for Ciro...do you have a Google Earth link to the Singapore track?

Thanks NaZzO for the link to comp. simulated video, but it looked more like a Red Bull PR video showing too much of thier cars than the track itself. However, it did mention a little of the part of the track at the end of Marina Bay that goes under the grandstands. That will be v. exciting for the fans sitting there, to see the cars going under them (if I understand it correctly). The track has some unique & interesting parts. That's why I'd like to see it in Google Earth to get a better feel by seeing how the road/track actually looks.

Singapore is well known for its cleanliness & its attractive roadways lined with trees, plants & flowers. When I visited the city in 2005, it was beautiful and the people were v. friendly & helpful. I saw many maintenance people tending to all the vegetation & keeping all of downtown meticulously clean. If that's a small indication, they'll put on a great show for the race next weekend.

donskar
donskar

Yes, sorry - back on topic.

Everything in our threads and the F1 press agrees that Ferrari does poorly on wet or cold tracks. Singapore looks to be wet AND cold?

Unless Ferrari's testing at Mugello has come up with some very special suspension settings (or a radical aero solution?) I'm afraid the Reds will not be players.

Can't see Vettel turning in two stellar performances in a row. Don't want to see LH win, but he'll take some beating.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

twoshots
twoshots

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msa=0& ... 18175&z=16

Not done by me, but seems to be correct.

Scotracer
Scotracer

I made a video using rFactor to allow everyone to see the layout:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa-WM4KmTgk[/youtube]
* to see a high-quality version click on the "Youtube"

:)

It's a fast and fun track!
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

WhiteBlue

They expect ambiant of 30C and track of 40C at night if its dry. although I do not see how the track gets hotter than the air if the sun don't shine. perhaps it will retain some heat from the day and keep that when the cars provide further friction.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

andartop
andartop

I think that is exactly the case whiteblue: the tarmac surface absorbs the energy all day long (even on a cloudy day) and generates it back when the air gets cooler than the tarmac. at least that's what happens in greece, if you touch the road surface (or the pavement for that matter) even in the middle of the night it feelsmuch hotter than the air around you.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

timbo
timbo

Scotracer wrote:I made a video using rFactor to allow everyone to see the layout:

Hey, can you point me where I can find this track? Haven't seen it on rFactor central.

PS checked site again and found a link!
Last edited by timbo on 20 Sep 2008, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.

Scotracer
Scotracer

timbo wrote:
Scotracer wrote:I made a video using rFactor to allow everyone to see the layout:

Hey, can you point me where I can find this track? Haven't seen it on rFactor central.
http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cf ... pore%20Day
Powertrain Cooling Engineer