Singapore Night GP 2008

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Scotracer
Scotracer

Re: Singapore Night GP 2008

Quad-post there WhiteBlue -- nicely done :lol:

It looks really smart but the cars are running A LOT of wing. Speeds aren't that high.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

modbaraban
modbaraban

Vettel said there's a problem with the pitlane entry i.e. the cars going in have to slow down much more than the cars going for another lap. "It's really really dangerous" he said.

WhiteBlue

The entry and the exit of the pitlane are messed up. They will learn, I guess. It is early days. It shows that nothing can substitute for the real thing.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Conceptual
Conceptual

This race is going to be a nightmare if it rains heavily.

If it rains like Germany or Japan last year, these men are in alot of trouble!

ALSO:

It looks as if there may be ALOT of legality plank infractions after this race... Don't be surprised if several get DQ'd after the race...

What happens if ALL cars fail the plank measurment? Do the DQ the field, or allow it to cancel out?

donskar
donskar

This is not worth a new thread, and it is related to the Singapore race . . .

The Autosport.com interview with Bernie Ickystone provides an excellent insight to the sport and its leadership and is (IMHO) a must read: Bernie comes across very clearly as arrogant, flippant, and most of all condescending and patronizing. And that is his attitude to one of the top journals of our sport. Bernie comes across (brutally honest, if you must give him credit) as a man without any accountability, with no concern for "sport" at all. His goal is also clear: massive profits at any cost. Oh well . . .

On the race - just my opinion, but excessive rain can ruin the race. Driving blind, being at the mercy of other drivers' mistakes, safety car periods - not my idea of F1. If it does rain, LH is the favorite, I think.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

donskar
donskar

This is not worth a new thread, and it is related to the Singapore race . . .

The Autosport.com interview with Bernie Ickystone provides an excellent insight to the sport and its leadership and is (IMHO) a must read: Bernie comes across very clearly as arrogant, flippant, and most of all condescending and patronizing. And that is his attitude to one of the top journals of our sport. Bernie comes across (brutally honest, if you must give him credit) as a man without any accountability, with no concern for "sport" at all. His goal is also clear: massive profits at any cost. Oh well . . .

On the race - just my opinion, but excessive rain can ruin the race. Driving blind, being at the mercy of other drivers' mistakes, safety car periods - not my idea of F1. If it does rain, LH is the favorite, I think.

donskar
donskar

Sorry for the double-post.

Any details out there on the bomb threat that caused BMW to evacuate their garage?

Conceptual
Conceptual

donskar wrote:This is not worth a new thread, and it is related to the Singapore race . . .

What new thread are you talking about??? This IS the Singapore thread!

And do you have a link to the Bernie article? I would like to read it!

donskar
donskar

Sorry, conceptual, you misunderstood: I meant that the Bernie interview was NOT worth a new thread of its own. Here it is. I've highlighted portions that really got me hot. One last point: I used to work in PR, and this is NOT the way to deal with the press! I look forward to comments.

Q & A with Bernie Ecclestone

By Jonathan Noble Friday, September 26th 2008, 11:07 GMT

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone's vision for a night race will be realised this weekend when Singapore hosts its first grand prix.

Ecclestone is delighted with what he has seen in Singapore so far, and paid an impromptu visit to the media centre before first practice got underway in the evening.

Autosport.com spoke to Ecclestone as he revealed to a few journalists his thoughts on the weekend - before some characteristic cheeky responses to questions about the rain, next year's summer break and the future of the Delhi GP.

Q. Bernie, are you worried about the prospects of rain here?

Bernie Ecclestone: No. I've got an umbrella, so no drama.

Q. Are night races the future for Formula One?

BE: No. Only where it is necessary in this part of the world, for sure.

Q. Mario Theissen says this race will be the highlight of the year. Do you agree?

BE: Let's wait and see. Afterwards is better to say these things, rather than before.

Q. Are you excited to see cars running?

BE: Yeah, I think it will be good. I am anxious to see what it looks like on television. That is what we have done before, so let's hope it works.

Q. Is the summer break coming back into next year's calendar?

BE: Why is that?

Q. Well, the teams are after a three-week break in the calendar?

BE: Are you going away or something?

Q. I hope so. Is there any movement on this front?

BE: It is jerky, any movement. It is a very jerky movement.

Q. So it is going to happen?

BE: I don't know. Let's have a look.

Q. Well, is Turkey going to move?

BE: I've no idea. Move where, move to Iraq?

Q. No to Europe would be better...

BE: It's half Europe and half outside.

Q. Do you want a summer break next year?

BE: No.

Q. You don't want a holiday then?

BE: I just don't go to the races, that is all...No seriously, I am going to do something. We will do something. I don't know what I am going to do.

Q. Have you driven around the circuit here?

BE: No. I am going in a minute.

Q. Sorry if I missed it, but is there an update on what is happening with Delhi?

BE: Sorry, you missed what?

Q. I came into this a bit late?

BE: Came into where?

Q. Into the conversation.

BE: We haven't spoken about Delhi, so you haven't missed anything.

Q. So, are there any updates there?

BE: It is all going on as usual, these things take time.

Q. So will it be 2010?

BE: 2011 is what I want.

Q. Is the night race a dream for you?

BE: Yes. I think this is going to be good.

Q. And what is your next dream?

BE: I mustn't tell you. My wife will go mad.

sebbe
sebbe

This is the first time I read an interview with Bernie, was he high on something?
Glue maybe?

"It is jerky, any movement. It is a very jerky movement."

"Q. Well, is Turkey going to move?
BE: I've no idea. Move where, move to Iraq?
Q. No to Europe would be better...
BE: It's half Europe and half outside."

Abe Simpson in action! :lol:
Too bad he still has all the power :(
"I've already altered the deal, pray I don't alter it any further" -Darth Vader to Lando Calrissian. The Empire Strikes Back.
"Progress is not always made by reasonable men." (McLaren Racing).
"We have optimised the lateral optical interface of the building." (Translation: "My factory has a lot of windows.") Ron Dennis.-

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

FP2

Hamilton fastest atm..

Rosberg 2nd..

Kimi 4th..

Massa 5th ~ +0.8 sec

Track seems very bumppy... The Torro Rosso was bottoming out and sparking.. could lead to possible post race problems for ride hieght violations?!

Oh and WhiteBlue.. what I should have said before is that when Webber crashed, there was a very slow responce from the marshalls and it is a difficult place to recover the car from..

If anyone crashes in the tunnel, it's gonna be a potential red flag....
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

axle
axle

Alonso again demonstrates his driving abilities. Well done to him on topping FP2...he is definately wringing the neck of that Renault.

Not sure how Quali is going to go!

At least it was dry!
- Axle

Conceptual
Conceptual

I'm expecting a wet qualy, and a shaken but not stirred grid...

roost89
roost89

axle wrote:Alonso again demonstrates his driving abilities. Well done to him on topping FP2...he is definately wringing the neck of that Renault.

Not sure how Quali is going to go!

At least it was dry!
I was listening to it on the radio and the commentators said that Alonso may have been using Quali tyres and that's what gave him the speed.

Do you think that is the case?

Well done to him, topping FP2!
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

andartop
andartop

Excellent drive from alonso, i really wish he repeats himself on the quali, i 'd love to see him first, massa second and hamilton third battling it out. I think the track looks really good, and i'd prefer to have less moaning from some of the drivers about slippery this and dangerous that. I 'm pretty sure Melbourne, Montreal and Monaco are equally slippery/dangerous on a Friday practice, if not even worse. I'm all for driver safety and everything but me thinks it's all part of the game.
The Torro Rossos don't look that bad!
As for Bernie's comments, he really came out arrogant to say the least. On the other hand, some of the questions reminded me MAD magazine's stupid answers to stupid questions section. I mean, anyone would expect more from the guy who runs F1, but I would also expect more from the guys who interview that guy...
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft