Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zoro_f1

Re: Ferrari F138

i think this is a little better look of this situation. Image
edit: Pedro Martínez de la Rosa

Last edited by zoro_f1 on 11 Feb 2013, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

Bomber_Pilot

Hail22 wrote:Edit: Nevermind looks to be the F 138 engine cover but the decals/logos are incomplete, for a moment I thought it was a development part.
It's from the F150 Italia

FrukostScones

Hail22 wrote:The birth and photo montage of the F 138 with a small video near the end (Credit to Gianluca Scinetti):

Check out the crash structure and the "real" size of the side pods ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_muCq4XC35w[/youtube
wow, thanks for the vid (Hail22) and pictures (Stefan_),

how can they let leak those pictures, you can see the shape of the fuel cell and other stuff to. (I now wonder where Sauber stores the fuel).
I still don't know what you mean with "real size" of the side pods. The only part we see, has the same size on the car, the other packaging we don't see and it is the backwards part we assume is tighter than those exhaust / pod fairings let us think. uknowwhaddimean?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

shelly
shelly

zoro_f1 wrote:i think this is a little better look of this situation. Image
Actaully here we could be seeing the notorius "multimotion duct" in the flesh. Especially IF (big if) the two vortices shed from the pillars kinks are to be ingested or not by the inlet depending on yaw.
More seriously, I think that this is too far fetched if we think the inlet could have directional capabilities, but it could be reasonable if we think of it as a switch going on/off depending on speed, as I wrote in my previous post.
F-duct in 2010 and double drs in 2012 has taught us that it is not impossible to have the switch signal located far from the zone where the effect of the switching is pursued (even if current drd are more "compact" in that regard).

Just wondering of course - anyway, after reading james allen article and not founding a fluidic switch in any of the usual places, I am a bit more convinced of what yesterday I labelled as imaginative - that the under chin inlet could be part of a fluidic switch system.

After all, Bigois was head of aero at merc who pionereed the ddrs, and david sanchez could well be the unnamed man that had the idea of the f-duct and developed it while working at mclaren
twitter: @armchair_aero

FLuidd
FLuidd

shelly wrote:
Actaully here we could be seeing the notorius "multimotion duct" in the flesh. Especially IF (big if) the two vortices shed from the pillars kinks are to be ingested or not by the inlet depending on yaw.
More seriously, I think that this is too far fetched if we think the inlet could have directional capabilities, but it could be reasonable if we think of it as a switch going on/off depending on speed, as I wrote in my previous post.
F-duct in 2010 and double drs in 2012 has taught us that it is not impossible to have the switch signal located far from the zone where the effect of the switching is pursued (even if current drd are more "compact" in that regard).

Just wondering of course - anyway, after reading james allen article and not founding a fluidic switch in any of the usual places, I am a bit more convinced of what yesterday I labelled as imaginative - that the under chin inlet could be part of a fluidic switch system.

After all, Bigois was head of aero at merc who pionereed the ddrs, and david sanchez could well be the unnamed man that had the idea of the f-duct and developed it while working at mclaren
It's too large to be for driver cooling , also it's no coincidence that behind this concept is Bigois and Sanchez.

This year Ferrari has a championship winning car.

sirexilon
sirexilon

I think is an illusion unless they changed something there, this is a picture of day 1 testing at Jerez, clearly the shark mouth is not there.

Life long F1 fan. Always learning about all the tech around my favorite sport.

http://www.facebook.com/f1myway

Hail22

Haha anyone notice the video that I've posted has been made private all of a sudden? and the new revised video doesn't have the tub photos...go figure:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GwXfSVgQwQ[/youtube]

Either someone tipped off SFF1 or we have a team member from SFF1 monitoring these forums :roll:

Thank you Stefan for ripping the photos from the video as soon as you did...gives us enthusiasts a chance to be close to the car :)

Will be good to see what parts may turn up at Barcelona :)
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

zeus2
zeus2

I think it just looks like there is an intake cause of the bulge in that area and the reflections. Heres a picture from the side. Doesn't look like theres an intake.

(copy image location and paste in new tab for bigger picture)

Gilles 27

Hail22

The shading and definitive edges would clearly suggest an intake whether for cooling, DDRS etc who knows...a beautiful mystery it shall remain until at least Barcelona.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

zoro_f1

it is allowed to change everything they want so obvious they've changed something bellow the nose or complete nose. these are two different situations. :wink:
sirexilon wrote:
I think is an illusion unless they changed something there, this is a picture of day 1 testing at Jerez, clearly the shark mouth is not there.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 5598_n.jpg
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

stefan_
stefan_

Hail22 wrote:Haha anyone notice the video that I've posted has been made private all of a sudden? and the new revised video doesn't have the tub photos...go figure:

Either someone tipped off SFF1 or we have a team member from SFF1 monitoring these forums :roll:

Thank you Stefan for ripping the photos from the video as soon as you did...gives us enthusiasts a chance to be close to the car :)

Will be good to see what parts may turn up at Barcelona :)
I was sure that is going to happen (either the video going private or deleted), that's why I took those shots out of the video. Good for us, we still have the photos of the chassis and they are spread over twitter too.

To be on topic, I think that the inlet below the nose you are talking about, if it appeared after the first time Massa went out with the car, it's mainly for cooling (could have a secondary function but I doubt it) because, as someone pointed out earlier, Massa said that it was hotter (in the cockpit) than he expected, and with no other inlet present on the car (pedal area, tip of the nosecone) I think that is the cooling solution they have - it could be as well already there but in a smaller size. If he said it is hot in Jerez, imagine what would happen in Malaysia - probably Massa would be cooked in the cockpit - thus the size of the inlet.

(It was kind of the same thing with last year's "letter box slot" from RB's step - everyone speculated that it's a secret device straight from the bottom of Newey's laboratory but, as far as I know, it didn't really proved to be anything else but a... cooling inlet.)

I think Ferrari wouldn't start to play around with this secondary-type-thing-ddrs-fduct like devices after the last season and it wouldn't really pay off the effort since it couldn't be used next year.
Of course it's important to win races an championships, but at this point it's important to think a little bit more about the future (as they already do).
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

zoro_f1

@stefan_ I think it is too big for cooling the driver. there is a lot of air pressure in front of the car just for cooling. Image

maybe it is a same situation like last years red bull car but time will tell... Image

Matt Somers
Matt Somers

The inlet under the nose was uncovered by the use of a different nose, the underside of the nosecone meets with the bulkhead higher, this can be seen by the lack of triangulation of the nose to bulkhead.

Top Image shows the nose used Days 1-3 and the lower image shows the Day 4 nose, notice the surface differential below the white line where the nose meets the bulkhead.

I'm skeptical it has anything to do with a DRD but we shall have to wait and see if more parts are added to the car throughout the Barcelona tests. As mentioned the hole is rather large but will not only take care of the cooling of the driver/electronics/KERS but undoubtedly tidy up the boundary layer under the nose too.
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

bhall
bhall

stefan_ wrote:[...]

To be on topic, I think that the inlet below the nose you are talking about, if it appeared after the first time Massa went out with the car, it's mainly for cooling (could have a secondary function but I doubt it) because, as someone pointed out earlier, Massa said that it was hotter (in the cockpit) than he expected, and with no other inlet present on the car (pedal area, tip of the nosecone) I think that is the cooling solution they have...

[...]
Not so, my friend. The F2012 inlet is also on the F138.

If the new larger "inlet" truly exists and is not an illusion, I think it was likely a temporary cooling solution to enable De La Rosa to do some laps without the threat of another fire. (I doubt I can be convinced Friday's fire was the result of a gearbox failure. I think something overheated, pure and simple.)