Red Bull RB9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
shelly
shelly

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

From this picture it seems that at the rear there is not only the ramp exhaust, but also the old 1st iteration 2012 high exhaust exit. It seems that they have used an old scrap bodywork panel for this show car. I am not sure though
twitter: @armchair_aero

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

This hi res image also shows the swan-neck beam wing and the 3 strakes on the diffuser.
http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 03fe03.jpg
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

RedBull side pot shape is the best. It looks perfect to suck the air to the back of the car. Lovely. They are going to win again :)

Others should copy this side pot design, they have been winning because of this for 3 years :D

Yurasyk
Yurasyk

It seems like floor around rear wheels is really close to them. Or it's just my imagination.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Raptor22 wrote:Low pull rod pushes the drivers legs higher. That means a higher centre of gravity since legs weigh more than suspension in a F1 car.
the drivers legs go nowhere that part of the suspension, and its not just the weight of the components, its the weight of the G-Force acting upon it that's critical in cornering

Huntresa
Huntresa

foxmulder_ms wrote:RedBull side pot shape is the best. It looks perfect to suck the air to the back of the car. Lovely. They are going to win again :)

Others should copy this side pot design, they have been winning because of this for 3 years :D
What... ?

Steven
Owner

It are a bit crappy images, and it's a pity we don't see the back end, but there seems to be a strange bulge in the car's floor, aft of the exhausts. It's much ahead of the diffuser, so it may be a channel for cooling air coming from the radiators. There is currently still a central funnel to let air out of the sidepods, but it could be possible that this will be removed at testing in favour of releasing hot sidepod air just above the diffuser.

It is also clear that this bulge is not present on the renderings that Red Bull Racing released.

Mandrake
Mandrake

shelly wrote:From this picture it seems that at the rear there is not only the ramp exhaust, but also the old 1st iteration 2012 high exhaust exit. It seems that they have used an old scrap bodywork panel for this show car. I am not sure though
I believe I see that panel too. The question is: Are they trying to trick the others again? Just imagine what the sidepods would look like without the exhaust ramp, super skinny towards the rear.

Huntresa
Huntresa

Tomba wrote:It are a bit crappy images, and it's a pity we don't see the back end, but there seems to be a strange bulge in the car's floor, aft of the exhausts. It's much ahead of the diffuser, so it may be a channel for cooling air coming from the radiators. There is currently still a central funnel to let air out of the sidepods, but it could be possible that this will be removed at testing in favour of releasing hot sidepod air just above the diffuser.

DOes the entire area of the floor right there bulge upp right next to the small winglet directing exhaust and air to the side of the diffuser ? And if you all see what i just wrote doesnt that mean that becomes sort of a funnel or road, as in the Winglet on one side and the bulged area on the other side, so the exhaust go in between with no way to run away to the sides.

I guess this works since Red Bull steals coke area air via their tunnel under the exhaust anyways so a bulge here doesnt intefer.

Huntresa
Huntresa

What i mean is this, the red lines showing where i see the bulged area start and yellow for exhaust gases going down.

So between the yellow and red line at the floor at the tyre there is no where but exactly straight forward to go for the exhaust.

Nando
Nando

Some close ups of their press images, pretty high-res so nice to look around the car for certain stuff and still see what it is zoomed in.

"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Steven
Owner

Indeed huntresa that is the bulge I'm talking about. I agree with your idea about the exhaust flow, but it would be extremely surprising to me if this bulge is simple a bulge. Most likely these is airflow going in this bulge and existing somewhere, most likely then just above the diffuser, over a large part of its width.

Analysis here :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/news/18128

andrewf1

Huntresa wrote:
Tomba wrote:It are a bit crappy images, and it's a pity we don't see the back end, but there seems to be a strange bulge in the car's floor, aft of the exhausts. It's much ahead of the diffuser, so it may be a channel for cooling air coming from the radiators. There is currently still a central funnel to let air out of the sidepods, but it could be possible that this will be removed at testing in favour of releasing hot sidepod air just above the diffuser.

DOes the entire area of the floor right there bulge upp right next to the small winglet directing exhaust and air to the side of the diffuser ? And if you all see what i just wrote doesnt that mean that becomes sort of a funnel or road, as in the Winglet on one side and the bulged area on the other side, so the exhaust go in between with no way to run away to the sides.

I guess this works since Red Bull steals coke area air via their tunnel under the exhaust anyways so a bulge here doesnt intefer.
that doesn't look like a bulge to me, only a deflector on the floor to guide the exhaust flow.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

shelly wrote: From this picture it seems that at the rear there is not only the ramp exhaust, but also the old 1st iteration 2012 high exhaust exit. It seems that they have used an old scrap bodywork panel for this show car. I am not sure though
Good observation Shelly. It definitely seems in the picture that said area "sticks out" a bit and isn't flush with the surrounding bodywork but hard to tell. Especially with such limited pictures available. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Yurasyk
Yurasyk

I agree with andrewf1. It's just trapezoidal deflector in my opinion.
Last edited by Yurasyk on 03 Feb 2013, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.