Red Bull RB9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
McMrocks
McMrocks

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

Maybe it is not just a bulge. The whole floor looks lifted (from the gearbox until the red line you draw).

Here my question:
Is it possible that the air from the tunnel flows through this "double floor"/bulge?
Last edited by McMrocks on 03 Feb 2013, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.

Huntresa
Huntresa

Tomba wrote:Indeed huntresa that is the bulge I'm talking about. I agree with your idea about the exhaust flow, but it would be extremely surprising to me if this bulge is simple a bulge. Most likely these is airflow going in this bulge and existing somewhere, most likely then just above the diffuser, over a large part of its width.

I'll write a few bits up in a launch analysis coming up soon...
But if thats a bulge, doesnt it mean its hollow? I mean the floor has to be flat, no ? So the bulge must be ontop of the floor aka hollow ?

Huntresa
Huntresa

McMrocks wrote:Maybe it is not just a bulge. The whole floor looks lifted (from the gearbox until the red line you draw).

Here my question:
Is it possible that the air from the tunnel flows through this "double floor"?
Yeah its gotta have air or something go thru since its gotta be hollow and ontop of the floor.

timbo
timbo

Any decent view on the rear suspension? Is the whole lower A-arm meged into a single structure?

Nando
Nando

But if the floor has to be flat the diffuser would be too?
Isn´t this the same thing as Mclaren having a dip in the floor near the rear wheel?
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Nando
Nando

Hard to see here but it dips down towards the wheel.

On Red Bull it dips up towards the center it seems. Both however are not flat floors.

Last edited by Nando on 03 Feb 2013, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Forza

Comparisson - RB8 Brasil gp spec vs RB9 launch

Steven
Owner

Indeed Forza, I also found the bulge on the 2012 car, but do we know what it really is for?
I haven't checked the exact regulations yet, but I think it's too far ahead for the diffuser for this being the diffuser's volume.

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

Tomba wrote:Indeed Forza, I also found the bulge on the 2012 car, but do we know what it really is for?
I haven't checked the exact regulations yet, but I think it's too far ahead for the diffuser for this being the diffuser's volume.
i vaguely recall pictures of just the 2012 floor piece, looking aft and up, that showed some weird internal pathway for the under-ramp air????

WillN

This is rather cheeky

Huntresa
Huntresa

Nando wrote:But if the floor has to be flat the diffuser would be too?
Isn´t this the same thing as Mclaren having a dip in the floor near the rear wheel?
Well i thought the diffuser was handled seperatly, as in allowed and the rest had to be flat, but i might be wrong.

Also most cars we have seen from a top view in a crane has been flat under near the diffuser which this is, and not a notable bulge like this.

Huntresa
Huntresa

WillN wrote:Image
This is rather cheeky
Cheeky how or wat?

munudeges
munudeges

Just_a_fan wrote:Interesting that they've added a monkey seat. Last year we were told by certain people that a monkey seat means the team are struggling with downforce. I wonder if those same people will claim the same now...
Heh. Those teams that added one last year had done so because their development had stalled - McLaren in particular after the first four races. However, after years of the current regulations what team isn't going to be struggling for downforce?

The devil is in the details as they say. Look at how Red Bull's hot gas outlet lines up to work with it. They know it's not elegant but they try and maximise anything they can get out of it as much as possible.

amouzouris

Guys i admit i was baffled at first by the 'bulge' on the floor..but it is an illusion..and a pretty good one! it can be very deceiving...but have a look at this photo...open it and zoom it up and you will see that there is no bulge!

edit: even better photo

P.S. I know im showing photos of the RB8 but the illusion is there on both the RB8 and 9 side photos
Last edited by amouzouris on 03 Feb 2013, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.

Carmack

Nando wrote:
On Red Bull it dips up towards the center it seems. Both however are not flat floors.

I think you got it wrong, that fin (where your line goes up) is just a flow conditioner because of the tyre disturbance, I think, there surely is something on the right side to the center of the car that looks like a dip, but It's not as big as you might guess from that photo.

I just might be wrong as well.

cheers