How useless is sky sports f1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
chrisc90

Re: How useless is sky sports f1

They would just use the F1 world feed and add own commentary. They won’t get it off sky lol

basti313

MadMax wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 12:05
RonMexico wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 00:24
PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 23:56

It's normal that the most popular, most exciting driver will be talked about more.

Every sport has this. I'm sorry you have to go through so much pain.
You'd think they would spend more time talking about the most talented one considering he is the reigning champion
Do you think Dutch commentators spend lots of time talking about Hamilton or Alonso instead of Max, or are they concentrating on Max? It's hardly a shock that people talk about people like them more than they talk about people that aren't.
Isn't this the racism that is discussed here?

And no, it is not normal. I can understand german, italien and spanish and even these three Sky offices have overcome the Ferrari, Alonso and Vettel bias. Even though Ferrari was in the lead at the beginning of the season Sky Italy was surprisingly neutral and well sorted. Same goes for Sky Germany, besides speaking a bit biased about Schumacher (because his uncle is the commentator) this is always a sidenote and rather uninteresting. And even they could come over the bad strategy in Japan and did not mention it anymore in the next race while it is obviously an issue for Sky UK if they not talk about last season...
Don`t russel the hamster!

RonMexico

MadMax wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 12:39
RonMexico wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 12:26
littlebigcat wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 12:22
No. Sky has just the UK to cater to. If other broadcasters decide that it’s in their interest to pay Sky for their feed then your issue with the content is with that broadcaster not Sky.
That is not correct.
Other domestic broadcasters can overlay their own commentary if they so wish.
It has to cater to the Irish market also. I have no option but to pay sky UK & ROI for F1 coverage.

In the ITV and BBC days the coverage wasn't like this.

mendis

It's unwise to assume that every single person living in UK (Brit or otherwise), would only be a fan of British driver(s). There are so many Brits/Expats/Migrants in UK that would find it awkward to be listening to the over the top glorification of British drivers while watching Sky F1 as that is the only option they have.

Remember, there are rumors of a second Scotland independence referendum doing rounds and even in the first one, there were 44% people that wanted independance. Under such circumstances, assuming all the Scots would love to see the British driver glorification is far fetched and Scots also have to watch Sky F1.

maxxer

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 12:59
maxxer wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 09:34
Who else noticed all of them using the same words:
"Loud pedal"
"under rotation"
They look like a bunch of gypsy's on the pit walk now no one like to talk to a pensioned guy who never did well in his career
I like the W Formula lady and Rosberg when he joins he knows these cars
Yeah, same. It's a shame Rosberg got exiled from the paddock for not taking the flu shot. He's one of the best commentators you can get but who cares about providing quality service to the paying fans.
Yeah and actually knows these cars cars and he is not biased to his old team or anyone

littlebigcat

mendis wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 17:10
Remember, there are rumors of a second Scotland independence referendum doing rounds and even in the first one, there were 44% people that wanted independance. Under such circumstances, assuming all the Scots would love to see the British driver glorification is far fetched and Scots also have to watch Sky F1.
Well Scots would be still be British if they gain independence so British driver glorification applies to them too. But please do tell me more of what the Scottish would think.

MadMax

RonMexico wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 13:07
MadMax wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 12:39
RonMexico wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 12:26

That is not correct.
Other domestic broadcasters can overlay their own commentary if they so wish.
It has to cater to the Irish market also. I have no option but to pay sky UK & ROI for F1 coverage.

In the ITV and BBC days the coverage wasn't like this.
You can find any number of online streams for free from all over the world if you don't wish to take Sky's coverage.

mendis

littlebigcat wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 19:45
mendis wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 17:10
Well Scots would be still be British if they gain independence so British driver glorification applies to them too. But please do tell me more of what the Scottish would think.
You omitted the first part of my post, that means you agree that part.

I hope you are not speaking for all Scots. How are Scots British (read English for convenience), regardless if they gain Independence or not? A Scot is a Scot. You as an individual may have a different opinion, just like the 44% had different one to the 56%.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British ... %20British
At the same time, there has been a long-term decline in Scots defining themselves as British, although more than half of the people in the survey saw themselves as British. In the 2011 Census in Scotland: 62% identified themselves as Scottish only. 18% identified themselves as Scottish and British.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-44361867?

stasera

honestly I watch dazn f1

MadMax

mendis wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 21:42

I hope you are not speaking for all Scots. How are Scots British (read English for convenience), regardless if they gain Independence or not? A Scot is a Scot. You as an individual may have a different opinion, just like the 44% had different one to the 56%.
Scots are British because Great Britain is the Union of Scotland and England (with Wales who were annexed by the English back in the 1284 and are thus technically part of England.). The UK is Great Britain and Northern Ireland. So the Northern Irish are not British, although some claim to be.

And, no, you can't say "English" as convenience for "British". Unless you're USian, of course, who regularly get that wrong. The English and the Scots are different. Both are British.

PlatinumZealot

littlebigcat wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 12:22
No. Sky has just the UK to cater to. If other broadcasters decide that it’s in their interest to pay Sky for their feed then your issue with the content is with that broadcaster not Sky.
I am not Brisitsh. Sky is British and Formula 1 is British. When I watch F1 I take it as ingesting a little bit of British culture. And I like it. I am under no illusions that the coverage won't be British biased.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mendis

MadMax wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 01:07
mendis wrote:

Scots are British because Great Britain is the Union of Scotland and England (with Wales who were annexed by the English back in the 1284 and are thus technically part of England.). The UK is Great Britain and Northern Ireland. So the Northern Irish are not British, although some claim to be.

And, no, you can't say "English" as convenience for "British". Unless you're USian, of course, who regularly get that wrong. The English and the Scots are different. Both are British.
This is not about the theoretical definition of what a British is. This is about what people living in Scotland are currently associating with as an identity and the potential lack of unanimous acceptance in their buying of British driver glorification by Sky F1, which people are peddling as a norm acceptable to Brits, including Scots.

If I am a Scot and do not associate myself as British and not interested in British driver glorification but I only get Sky F1 to watch, you are not representing me when you say it's perfectly normal that Sky F1 glorifies British driver and I don't have a problem as a Scot.

PlatinumZealot

MadMax wrote:
mendis wrote:

I think historically.... There was a place called "Britannia" and another place north of that.. The land of the "Celts" or somehting to that effect.

Back then it was two different races or nations basically.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

mendis wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 03:40
MadMax wrote:
mendis wrote:

This is not about the theoretical definition of what a British is. This is about what people living in Scotland are currently associating with as an identity and the potential lack of unanimous acceptance in their buying of British driver glorification by Sky F1, which people are peddling as a norm acceptable to Brits, including Scots.

If I am a Scot and do not associate myself as British and not interested in British driver glorification but I only get Sky F1 to watch, you are not representing me when you say it's perfectly normal that Sky F1 glorifies British driver and I don't have a problem as a Scot.
Hold up.

When has formula 1 coverage ever NOT glorify British drivers?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

MadMax

mendis wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 03:40
MadMax wrote:
mendis wrote:

It's not a theoretical definition of "British". It's a legal one. A Scot, like an Englishman and a Welshman, will have "British" in their passport. A Scotsman is British until Scotland secedes from the Union. At that point, Scotland can call its citizens whatever it/they want. Until that point, they are British.

As for a Scot not being interested in a fellow British racing driver, well that's life.