Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zztopless

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

marcush. wrote:intriguingly ,Webber´s topspeed inQualy was just 1KPH slower than Vettels...Assuming the DRS did not work at all in Qualy for Webber the time difference is solely owed to acceleration and being able to shed drag and downforce were it´s not needed.They gear not for DRS open topspeed?
Was wondering exactly the same thing.

raymondu999

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpC1Sww_KZE[/youtube]
marcush. wrote:intriguingly ,Webber´s topspeed inQualy was just 1KPH slower than Vettels...Assuming the DRS did not work at all in Qualy for Webber the time difference is solely owed to acceleration and being able to shed drag and downforce were it´s not needed.They gear not for DRS open topspeed?
Red Bull have done that for quite some time.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Robbobnob

I have been really enjoying Gary Anderson's analysis this season on the BBC, particularly his pit lane briefings during P1. Very insightful and also interesting hearing his interpretation of the cars.

Thanks to Crucial for posting this earlier.

I can only assume it is some sort of heating element for the metal parts of the tub. Which begs the question, Have they had this prior to the ban on their brake ducts at Canada or is this a new component?

Last season they were said to have preheated aluminum inserts placed adjacent to the brake Discs to pre-warm them as not to absorb any precious heat energy from the tyres / wheels themselves. So by heating the metallic components, or the entire hub themselves they are keeping their tyres in the temperature window.

On a slightly different note, does anybody know how hot the exhaust air from a brake duct gets? The discs reach 1000 degrees under heavy braking, so it would be fair to assuming the air is superheated in the range of 100 - 300 degrees?
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

Sevach

Is the exit the fatter gearbox bodywork?
On V2 the exit was very clear, now not so much.

I wish the press would stop with double diffuser nonsense,it's like to this day they still don't know how that worked...

Sevach

I'd say the new tunnel worked, Red Bull is back to being scary fast.

Teechnical

They might wanna redesign their sidepods, heard on the other forum it doesn't cool the engine enough.
EDIT: okay wait never mind.
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.

Sombrero

It was a very hot sunday in Valencia and the SC phase didn't help.

Crucial_Xtreme

Here's a look at the latest Red Bull RB8 Floor. Right click>view image

beelsebob

Wow, great shots – the enormous strakes on top are bizare, and it's now clear that the tunnel is indeed split.

N12ck

what is the tunnel routing air to then on each side? I cant see a clear exit on the pictures
Budding F1 Engineer

beelsebob

N12ck wrote:what is the tunnel routing air to then on each side? I cant see a clear exit on the pictures
To me, it looks like it's routing it to the inside of the 3 tall vertical strakes. The back section of the tunnel seems to duck underneath and feed the starter motor hole.

beelsebob

Actually, I say that... But looking again, and there seems to be a large central pipe heading for the centre of the diffuser... Are they taking air from a further forward intake all the way back there?

Crucial_Xtreme

To me it looks like it's bypassing the starter motor hole

Edit: Starter motor hole pointed to in yellow

Edit #2: Well I guess technically it still feeds the starter motor hole, because of the housing on the under side of the floor. But it definitely bypasses the main starter motor hole and "looks" like it exits directly into the diffuser under the car.

via @Khan_F1

hardingfv32

Why the use of the heat lamp?

Brian

Crucial_Xtreme

I guess the tunnels are leading to the main central exit, but it's hard to visualize from the earlier pictures of said tunnels.

http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 807.86.jpg

Other RB detail