Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
aleks_ader

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

bhallg2k wrote: EDIT: Perhaps Red Bull puts the engine in neutral for every braking event and uses KERS harvesting to take the place of engine braking. Although, that would likely contravene the rules on KERS energy storage limits unless excess energy can be discharged by other means.
Thats is imposible beacuse the KERS unit is atacth infront engine itself.. so if you put in neutral durin braking you lose engine braking and also KERS harvesting.. simply doest make sense...
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

bhall

There's no requirement for KERS be located on the front of the engine. And don't forget that Red Bull has placed at least the KERS battery on the gearbox in the past.

aleks_ader

bhallg2k wrote:There's no requirement for KERS be located on the front of the engine. And don't forget that Red Bull has placed at least the KERS battery on the gearbox in the past.
No no i talk about eletric/generator motor... Dont forget about that still very importand part of whole KERS unit... :wink: That is actually REAL mehanic link wiht tooth gearings atatch on the engine crankchaft and eventually on gearbox, diff... and eventually to the tyres.

I recon this Scarbs blog...
http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2012/01/2 ... velopment/
Last edited by aleks_ader on 03 Jul 2012, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

.poz

alogoc wrote:i heard a rumor that it's not the off-throttle blowing because RB or Renault has developed a system where driver actually don't let go of the gas pedal in the corner but cylinders are deactivating it self.......!

something like that anyway!
isn' t that illegal?

5.5 Engine torque demand :
5.5.1 The only means by which the driver may control the engine torque is via a single chassis mounted foot (accelerator) pedal.

bhall

aleksandergreat wrote:No no i talk about eletric/generator motor... Dont forget about that still very importand part of whole KERS unit... :wink:
No, I understood your point. I guess I wasn't very clear in making mine, though.

Most teams place KERS batteries underneath the fuel tank. Red Bull, on the other hand, placed theirs on the transmission. Because of that, and because the location is not mandated in the regulations, you really have to keep an open mind about KERS placement in general. You never know what an F1 engineer might do, especially one like Adrian Newey.

Kiril Varbanov

Preview picture from Craig S (@Scarbsf1) for Red Bull's solution here.

Seamus

Kiril Varbanov wrote:Preview picture from Craig S (@Scarbsf1) for Red Bull's solution here.
10x man : )

strad

There would be no added engine braking and that is a huge part of it that they now depend on.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

bhall

strad wrote:There would be no added engine braking and that is a huge part of it that they now depend on.
Slipper clutch perhaps?

rayden

alogoc wrote:I think it a fact that Adrian Newey is a genius,but always on a border of legality!
As a designer, if you aren't on the border of legality, you shouldn't be in Formula 1.

alogoc

rayden wrote:
alogoc wrote:I think it a fact that Adrian Newey is a genius,but always on a border of legality!
As a designer, if you aren't on the border of legality, you shouldn't be in Formula 1.

for example the off throttle is banned but Newey just keeps persistentning on it because FIA stated the rule wrongly!

he crossed the border!

instead of the software FIA gave the teams to control engine maps the rulu should be very simple,any gasases that come out of the exhaust when driver relesees the gas are prohibited,put sensors on exhaust if it blows when off throttle vo-la illegal!

engine reliability!?

nonsense!
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

beelsebob

alogoc wrote:for example the off throttle is banned but Newey just keeps persistentning on it because FIA stated the rule wrongly!
No it's not, doing certain things with the engine mapping are illegal. The media over-simplified the rule when they relayed it to you.

Crucial_Xtreme

RB8 today in Silverstone

via @tgruener

Crucial_Xtreme

Better picture of the RB8 today

Forza

Another set of close ups