Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Couple technical shots from Silverstone today

Anyone notice it looks like RB are using a collection chamber much like we've seen on the F2012?

bonjon1979

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Couple technical shots from Silverstone today

Anyone notice it looks like RB are using a collection chamber much like we've seen on the F2012?
Could be wrong but I think that's where the exhaust gases exit
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 06 Jul 2012, 00:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pics removed, as they are in the previous post

Robbobnob

It seems you would be right Crucial.
Re. BonJon, he is referring to that 90 degree join to the exhaust just ahead of the exit.
Does anybody have any pictures of the Redbull exhaust manifold at Valencia? I would be interested to see if that was part of the additions to the package they introduced there.

Very interesting setup they have here http://www.formula1.com/wi/0x0/sutton/2 ... 5jy001.jpg
I am curious as to what your opinions are on the whole suspension testing setup is? Its almost like a 4 post rig with the hydraulic actuators supporting it from that base plate. It seems like a system used to set the suspension characteristics? (Rake, spring rates, travel ...etc)

alogoc wrote:instead of the software FIA gave the teams to control engine maps the rulu should be very simple,any gasases that come out of the exhaust when driver relesees the gas are prohibited,put sensors on exhaust if it blows when off throttle vo-la illegal!
FYI Alogoc, there will still be a mass flow through the exhaust of throttle due to the working fluid (the air) still being cycled through the engine
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

Crucial_Xtreme

bonjon1979 wrote:

Could be wrong but I think that's where the exhaust gases exit

Look at the top picture. You can see where the exhaust exits, but follow that pipe backwards and it forms a T shape. The only other thing I can think of is a collector like Ferraro. The pipes coming from below shouldn't come from behind, but below with they way they're sitting. I think.

@rob I looked, but didn't see any Valencia pics. Going to search for more pictures though.

PhillipM

It's a very long chamber if it is, looks like it curves over towards the cockpit

mx_tifoso

The red bull exhaust does this, as does the F2012;

:arrow: Helmholtz Exhaust - as seen on Ferrari F150/F2012
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

bhall

I'm pretty sure those are just the exhaust exits on both the Red Bull and the Force India. They're positioned as such to comply with the following:

5.8.3 The last 100mm of any tailpipe must in its entirety :
a) Form a thin‐walled unobstructed right circular cylinder whose internal diameter is no greater than 75mm with its axis at +/‐10° to the car centre line when viewed from above the car and between +10° and +30° (tail‐up) to the reference plane when viewed from the side of the car. The entire circumference of the exit should lie on a single plane normal to the tailpipe axis and be located at the rearmost extremity of the last 100mm of the tailpipe.

Forza

Not the best picture of the exhaust used today at FP1

PhillipM

bhallg2k wrote:I'm pretty sure those are just the exhaust exits on both the Red Bull and the Force India. They're positioned as such to comply with the following:

No, the pipe above the exit arcing over the top surface of the radiator. Although I'm not sure wth the FI pic has to do with anything? :wtf:

mx_tifoso

They were wondering about the odd extension on the RB8 exhaust, and I think it's the same type of collector as on the Force India.

zztopless

I think this is what people are referring to? I have no idea (rarely do), can anyone speculate as to the purpose of this?

mx_tifoso

bhall

I tried my best to overlay a picture of the exposed engine and exhaust with a picture from the same angle of the car with the engine cover fitted. You should be able to see that it's not a collector; it's just the exhaust.

If you can't see it, or it isn't clear enough, let me know, and I'll try to make it clearer.
(Click to enlarge)
Forza wrote:Not the best picture of the exhaust used today at FP1

Crucial_Xtreme

bhallg2k wrote:I tried my best to overlay a picture of the exposed engine and exhaust with a picture from the same angle of the car with the engine cover fitted. You should be able to see that it's not a collector; it's just the exhaust.
Nothing in what you did shows what is sticking out the back of the exhaust. To me, it looks like all 4 headers from the engine come from below so why would the be a T-joint in the exhaust pipes? Of course I could be wrong & so could others but I'll go with Scarbs thoughts as well as my own. :)

https://twitter.com/ScarbsF1/status/221219816940376064

https://twitter.com/ScarbsF1/status/221221634378432512

If you can explain what this is, I might change my mind, but the exhaust is exiting the other way & the 4 pipes come from the bottom.

Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 06 Jul 2012, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.

.poz

haven't found a pic from Valencia, but in Canada the exhaust pipe was different