Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bhall

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

I'd say it's inconclusive. But, if Steve Matchett says it's a "spray bar," perhaps he knows something we don't. I dunno.

(Click to enlarge)

PlatinumZealot

bhallg2k wrote:
n smikle wrote:[Image]

This is the give away picture. It shows that the purpose of the tunnel and guide vanes inside it is to help give an even distribution of air-flow through the second set of 4 inch tall guide vanes and finally a even flow over the top of the diffuser. I believe this is to give better pressure characteristics at the diffuser exit and possible better influence towards vortex formation at the sides. Very good Idea. But It must be said that if the ramp was not there, you wouldn't need that foremost set of guide vanes... the second set would have worked OK by itself.
Actually, I think the tunnel is still mostly about keeping the exhaust plume separate from the air flow around the sidepods. The guide vanes at the back aren't so much guide vanes as they are diffuser strakes that extract the air flow through the tunnel, because they initially had problems with it being choked by too much air.

In essence, they have a very legal and literal double diffuser: the normal one below the floor and the new one on top of the floor.
I'm sorry but that does not mesh together. Very very wrong. Especially when you think it is a double diffuser. The very definition of a diffuser goes against your presumption. Double diffuser means two diffusers. The RB8 only has one diffuser as instructed by the rules.

As per the vertical guide vanes, they are nothing new, they have been around. That is why I know that those can function without the tunnel. They work with the small guide vanes inside the tunnel.

I do not disagree that the tunnel is for keeping the "coke bottle" air away from he exhaust. I said so myself paaaages back.

I am taking about the upgrade for silverstone which is the guide vanes inside the tunnel. These internal guide vanes works with the 4 inch tall guide vanes behind them. To even out the flow before it reaches the slotted gurney flap.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

bhall

I explained myself a bit better in an additional post on this page.

raymondu999

Interesting that the car was quick in hot and slow, and was quick in cold and fast, though admittedly it was not VERY cold in Silverstone, with something like 30 degree track temps. Let's see cold and slow Hockenheim. I think the car is coming on song and could very well spend the rest of the season as the quickest car, though not by much, considering the current season.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mx_tifoso

Kiril Varbanov wrote:Lovely detail of the exhaust and the rear (do I spot a more humpy surface?)

http://www.formula1.com/wi/0x0/sutton/2 ... gbr627.jpg
Kiril Varbanov wrote:Am I wrong with this comparison? I.E. I'm not totally sure whether VET and WEB used the same exhaust.
Anyway, my humble contribution to their continuing exhaust iterations:

You were right on identifying the "humpy" exhaust for Silverstone. Here is our development blog article about it;

:arrow: F1T - Red Bull adds bulges on exhaust exit
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

mx_tifoso

Posts related to the Wings for Life livery have been moved to the team thread.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

alogoc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB_KvEHnnlQ

Any sign of off-throttle here?
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

JackHammer

Maybe I just imagined it, but I'm sure I read ages ago about teams being allowed very very limited off throttle blowing in 2012?

alogoc

JackHammer wrote:Maybe I just imagined it, but I'm sure I read ages ago about teams being allowed very very limited off throttle blowing in 2012?
you seem to be a bit out of touch! :D
THE F2012!

Huntresa

alogoc wrote:
JackHammer wrote:Maybe I just imagined it, but I'm sure I read ages ago about teams being allowed very very limited off throttle blowing in 2012?
Why would he be out of touch ? They ran off throttle in winter testing and that got shutdown but i would assume they are still doing some within the rules, since off throttle blowing can mean more then 1 thing just like F-Duct doesnt actually mean anything

N12ck

they seemed to have an off throttle noise down into the bottom corner of the national pit straight in quali, where as in the race they don't (I was at silverstone) :?
Budding F1 Engineer

ajdavison2

I was also there and they sounded very raspy braking before club

Owen.C93

They were noise through maggot beckets etc which is where you would expect them to be. Definately using off throttle as we already knew. Caterham was the loudest, then a long way back was redbull, then Sauber, McLaren, Ferrari and a bunch of others. Mercedes was the cleanest.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

alogoc

Huntresa wrote:
alogoc wrote:
Why would he be out of touch ? They ran off throttle in winter testing and that got shutdown but i would assume they are still doing some within the rules, since off throttle blowing can mean more then 1 thing just like F-Duct doesnt actually mean anything
they have been using it for four races now! that is way!
THE F2012!

Princey

I was at Luffield all three days and there is definately some blowing still going on.. the Caterham was what drew my attention to it first.. it was really loud and then Red Bull.. Webber's seemed to be loudest of the Red Bulls as they went through the hairpin I think it was just the way he approached that corner compared to Vettel which made it more obvious.
Don't Kanye me. Or I'll Chris Brown you and Tiger Woods your mother.