Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Huntresa

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

zztopless wrote:Image

Any ideas as to what the 'hose-like-object' coming out of the exhaust running back towards the front of the car (in parallel with their Helmholz exhaust chamber)?

The hose is just hanging...

zztopless

Huntresa wrote:
zztopless wrote:Image

Any ideas as to what the 'hose-like-object' coming out of the exhaust running back towards the front of the car (in parallel with their Helmholz exhaust chamber)?

The hose is just hanging...
Yep, see it now... don't I feel smart... :/

scarbs

Its a cooling duct for the Alternator, first seen in silverstone, the final part of it is missing in this picture.

Forza

Flow vis testing on Rb8 Image

FW17

?

FW17

The diffuser has some fences on the top surface now

RichardF1

Anyone else noticed a new front wing? The profile looks different to me? Seems like it came in at Silverstone?
WWKD- What would Kimi do?

ESPImperium

WilliamsF1 wrote:?
Rumor has it Red Bull are looking at a quick camber change mechanism for the rear so they can change it on the fly in pit stops. Dont know how it would work, there may be two ways, the first being a thing like the front wing angle adjuster where a turn would be roughly a degree of change, this way is legal in my point of view. The second is slightly more grey in terms of the rules, and that is where the wheel rim has a pre set value and that has a device that changes the camber via a mechanichal switch on the hub or somewhere arround the hub.

This would have a massive advantage in the tyre management stakes as you would want less slip angle at the start of the race and more at the end of the race when the fuel is less and you can attack the track more and have more slop angle going thru the contact patch. I may be wrong and have gottn that the wrong way arround tho.

This may be the single reason that Webber has gottn on top of his tyre woes this season, or the reason that the RB8 is now the fastest car on the grid.

PlatinumZealot

That would not change the slip angle though. Especially on the rear wheels where there is no steering.
IF this is what you mean; there is an optimal camber angle that at full weight the car would closer to it than when the car is at low fuel because more suspension travel is more camber. Hence. You are saying that the team would dial in more camber angle for lighter fuel loads at the pitstops to make up for the reduction of suspension travel as the car lightens.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ESPImperium

Pretty much. Whitch over a race, could have a massive effect on race pace, asuming fuel loads were constant, you could see an improvement of 4 tenths or more over a race distance, but since fuel levels arnt, it could be worth a heck of alot more.

PhillipM

Would you not be better just fitting a ride height adjuster for the pitstops, if you were going to make something so complex?!

Owen.C93

Ignore.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Redragon

Forza wrote:Flow vis testing on Rb8 Image

What it is on the top left opposite to the camera? Is a sensor? It is really ugly!!!

Robbobnob

ESPImperium wrote:
Rumor has it Red Bull are looking at a quick camber change mechanism for the rear so they can change it on the fly in pit stops. Dont know how it would work, there may be two ways, the first being a thing like the front wing angle adjuster where a turn would be roughly a degree of change, this way is legal in my point of view. The second is slightly more grey in terms of the rules, and that is where the wheel rim has a pre set value and that has a device that changes the camber via a mechanichal switch on the hub or somewhere arround the hub.

This would have a massive advantage in the tyre management stakes as you would want less slip angle at the start of the race and more at the end of the race when the fuel is less and you can attack the track more and have more slop angle going thru the contact patch. I may be wrong and have gottn that the wrong way arround tho.

This may be the single reason that Webber has gottn on top of his tyre woes this season, or the reason that the RB8 is now the fastest car on the grid.
What about an adjustment on the upper control arm position at the chassis pick up point. A hydraulic piston which can extend / contract or a rotary rocker like pick up point which can be changed with a ratchet.
Link to a quick and nasty drawing,

So long as the change in setup is controlled by an external source it should circumvent the active suspension ban (imo any device which has its own motor / activator on the car would be illegal).

Regarding that bulbous sensor, i was of the opinion it was a sensor aimed at measuring the exhaust, be it temp, thermal image i am not sure, however i would be surprised if it was there during fp3 onwards.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

Owen.C93

Quote from scarbs in 2010 when RBR adjustable ride height rumors first came up. Just to clear some stuff up.
scarbs wrote:A fellow journo, has spoken to Charlie Whiting about this and it will be legal, as long it takes place during pitstops, externally with a tool.

I find this surprising, as that sugests the teams may have been free to alter other suspension settings since 1994 but have chosen not to do so.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)